• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Road To Palantria

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Ooooooh. Well, at least he's not a Lilyara now. I too was getting a bit sick of the flowers. Hehe.. :D Anyways, to review:

Another brilliant chapter. This really should be fanfic of the week. I'll contact Oni about this, as Falling White has been there for about 2 weeks now... but this really should be at the top of the page. The description was flawless, as always - and I could picture everything beautifully.

Your only faults were two minor grammatical errors which are too minor even to point out. You deserve all the praise you recieve fot this magnificent fanfic. Well done ^_^

Years
    So many new fanfics and they all aren't worthy to be called Fanfiction of the Week...except this!

Congrats! This Week's Fanfiction of the Week!

Neo Pikachu

Forever Gold
    Years
    Man, Fan Fic of the Week... Thank you guys for being such a strong support of this fic! I'd like to thank everyone again for reading and enjoying this story. I'd be happy to share more of it with you.

The Road To Palantria

After I opened my eyes once again, I had the feeling like everything that had happened really never took place, like it was all one wild dream. It wasn?t until I had touched the stone cold tiled floor with my hand, and I realized I was once again lying on the floor of the temple. After I looked at my hand, I then remembered everything that happened, including my hideous battle with Arronsal as well as everything that happened after.

As I was lying flat on my stomach, I put both of my hands on the tiled floor and pushed myself upward off the floor, and then quickly got to my feet. Everything had seemed smaller now that I was nearly four feet taller than I was before. I then turned to my sides, and easily saw the massive butterfly wings that were attached to my back. But even now, they were folded up so they wouldn?t be dragged along the floor. All over me, there was this constant look and feel that made me almost think I never once was a human.

And still, it felt far from reality though. To have come all this way only to be whacked once with becoming a Lilyara, and then again with this was just not making any sense. Considering all this ?destiny? crap that Arronsal was mentioning earlier, it almost seemed like someone was expecting me to come here. And I certainly wasn?t the kind to believe in fate either?

When I approached the center of the ledge that Arronsal had once stood upon, I had found a small bronze plaque with a small pink and green gem implanted in the grove that was in the center. After I bent down to look at it, I realized what it was. It was a small circular green gem with the image of a flower with pink petals and a yellow center. After I wrapped my hand around it, I pulled it out of the groove in the plaque. I then looked over the transparent gem in my hand, and I realized this was the flower gem I had gone through so many nightmares to obtain. Regardless, with this in my hands, I didn?t need to spend another minute in Springside. Now, it was on to Wintershire, where hopefully it wouldn?t be long until I rejoined Kenneth and Eric.

Then, I quickly felt another presence come to my side, and when I looked to see what it was, I realized it was Umbreon, who had been out this whole time. He seemed a bit concerned when I looked into his eyes.

?Man, I had almost begun to think you would never get up?? Umbreon had told me, looking up into my eyes, ?You?ve been asleep for five days. I almost thought you died until I realized you were still breathing??

?I thought it wasn?t true?? I told Umbreon, looking away a bit, ?He said? I would be the one? but it? just? doesn?t make sense.?

?Look, I really don?t care?? Umbreon responded, not caring about the way I looked, ?You?re still Chris to me.?

I guess the name was still there, but a lot had changed to almost feel like even that wasn?t there anymore. I simply nodded slowly, but I still felt strange about it. I didn?t understand how the whole thing happened, or even why it happened. And then again, another side of me didn?t care what happened. I had what I wanted, so there was no reason for me to stay here. And there was no way I wanted to stay here after all the crap that happened?

I had returned Umbreon to his Pok?ball, since there really wasn?t anything that he could do now. But still, the fact that he told me it had been five days since I last was awake was freaking me out. I could immediately picture Kenneth and Eric already waiting at the Wintershire temple and here I was without any clue where the place was. Still, the part that was even worse was knowing they might not even recognize me at first. And then again, considering how much Kenneth had changed in only a few days after becoming a Draco, I might have trouble recognizing him after all this time?

Only a few days ago, I had been thinking there would be some way of getting Kenneth back to normal before we would reach home. Now, it wasn?t him I was more concerned about. It was me. After what Tek and Arronsal had told me, the position of Rainbow Butterfly Guardian didn?t seem like something that could just be kicked aside and said to heck with. At the moment, the role seemed so important that it could never disappear. Still, I didn?t care. The same thing happened to Kenneth and was probably going to happen to Eric if it hadn?t happened already. There was no guarantee that Kenneth would ever become human again either, and it seemed like time only made it grow worse?

Regardless, I headed outside, and left the temple of Springside behind. There was nothing in Springside for me anymore. The fields were barren, the cities were useless and I already had what I needed. Plus, everyone I met here treated me like crap, everyone except for Tek. I was more than happy to say good riddance to this place after all that had happened.

When I finally threw aside the doors of the temple, I stepped outside, and walked into the fields of flowers under the morning sun. Then, when I stepped into the sunlight, the world around me was surrounded by a rainbow-colored aura, as if everything beneath and near me was smothered in bright and eye-catching colors. I had looked behind me, and saw that it was caused all from just a little sunlight. It seemed like at that moment I would never again leave a shadow in my wake, but instead an intense presence of bright color wherever I went where there was light. Even with the slightest movement, the bright colors changed continuously, and I wasn?t sure if it was magic or a reflection off of my wings or something else that I couldn?t explain.

As I stood there watching the sky, I knew the entire army of Symarix would be after us now. Not only did I kill off Arronsal and take the flower gem that he had fought to the death for, but I stole his position and decided to rebel against the very army the original Rainbow Butterfly Guardian had defended with his life. Even if Kenneth could turn into a dragon and I could be a powerful arch-mage, we would be fighting entire armies that we didn?t know were capable of. And even then, we still were against the Khans and whatever contraptions they had created. No matter who was on the Emerald Alliance, we were still going to have to fight some pretty nasty battles?

Since Wintershire was many miles away to the south, I had decided to fly there, if I could even figure out how to do it. I started by unfolding the wings, and letting them touch the ground. It felt really strange having the wings on my back and being able to control them like they were an extra arm or leg that I had just been neglecting to use all my life. I tried fluttering them, and when going slow didn?t seem to help, I tried doing it faster. After many pathetic and embarrassing attempts of flapping my wings like a maniac, jumping off the ground and landing right on my chest again, I finally got it right. I was just glad there wasn?t a soul around to watch my pitiable display?

I realized the only time when I really needed to flap my wings like crazy was when flying in place. Flying backward only needed to be in the air and pushing as much air in front as possible, pushing the air forward and the flyer backward. Meanwhile, the only thing that flying forward needed was just to keeping pushing the air around downward which pushed the flyer upward. In a sense, it was pretty similar to swimming with a few obvious differences?

I then tried flying south toward Wintershire, which went faster and faster as I got better at this whole flying thing. And it was so much faster than walking through masses of flora. Even after flying for many miles over the fields of Springside, I still could keep going. When I had arrived at the river, I didn?t need a bridge anymore, all I had to do was fly over it. Never once did I think I would able to one day soar through the air, but for once I got that chance, and to say the least it was pretty awesome.

Soon after the river, I flew over the Delsara Forest, the same forest I had struggled for many hours to walk through. This time, all it took were a few good flaps of my rainbow-colored butterfly wings and I sailed right over the whole thing, no long needing to shamble through the flower-carpeted floor of the forest. I would have had to say, being a butterfly did beat the stuffing out of being a Lilyara.

And then, I had arrived at the border of Wintershire. All the trees that made up the Delsara forest on the Wintershire side were covered by ice the seemed to glint in different colors from the setting sun. Meanwhile, the flowers were completely gone, replaced by a layer of deep, bleach white snow. As I entered into Wintershire, the warm comfortable weather of Springside was gone in an instant, and replaced by the chilling wind and snow of Wintershire. And then, as I looked upon the snowy ground, I saw the rainbow aura that was around me cast upon the snow, and I couldn?t deny even I was captivated by the sight. As much as I didn?t want to be called ?beautiful? or ?awe-inspiring? like I know some people would say upon seeing that, there wasn?t exactly much I could do to disprove it.

As the forest of ice-covered trees slowly turned into a mountain range, the weather only got colder. Not to mention that the one robe I was wearing wasn?t really that much protection against the cold. Also, I knew that the middle of winter wasn?t exactly the best time for a butterfly to be around. I had to surround myself with a fiery Phoenix Defense Matrix just to fight off the harsh cold. Honestly, I really wasn?t too thrilled with this place?

And to say the least, trying to keep a low frame while wearing two brightly colored butterfly wings and surrounding everything around you with a million bright colors was essentially impossible. As I traveled above the forest while seeing the sun set slowly in the distance, I saw a few black silhouettes appear in the distance. They drew closer and closer, and when I got a good look of them, I could see three incoming figures that looked like humans with large feathery wings. I thought about flying away to avoid them but trying to hide from whatever they were was nearly impossible.

When they came closer, I could see the three of them had light blue skin, long dark blue hair and plenty of hard, white armor. All three of them looked much like females, with sharp black eyes as they wore seemingly straight expressions while they carried long, and slender bows carved and painted to appear they were made out of ice and snow, which they obviously weren?t. As I got a good look at them, they looked very similar to harpies, only with snowy colors and camouflage to blend in with their surroundings. The one in the center had approached me, and spoke with a soft and melancholy voice.

?Interesting seeing you here at the cold plains of Wintershire, Arronsal.? The female harpy had spoken, ?What brings you here??

I knew that trying to act like Arronsal was out of the question, since not only did he sound different from me, but he acted a whole lot different as well. Still, there was no way on the planet I was going to openly admit that I was the one who destroyed him and had intentions of fighting the Symarix army. Since I wasn?t half bad with lying, I tried a different approach?

?Remorse with me my dear sister, for our great protector has perished?? I told her, trying to fake a sorrowful expression by looking down and away, ?His life was taken from him as he attempted to protect the gem.?

Yet little did they know that I was the one still holding it, and even worse, that I was the one that ended Arronsal?s life and took his position. However, no one actually knew about that except me.

?So you?re the one who took his place?? She had told me, seeming even more drenched in sorrow, ?Word has been spreading that someone from the Emerald Alliance is trying to collect the four gems of Symarix to unleash Darzaras from his stone prison.?

Well, that wasn?t so great hearing that they already knew we were here. Obviously Kenneth and Eric were having their own bit of fun while I was having mine?

?But why?? I asked her, seemingly questioning my own mission, ?Don?t they realize their war will never end? I for one don?t believe there is such as thing as the Vault of Supremacy, and that they?re fighting over a fable that doesn?t exist??

Yeah, I was pretty much going against everything Jocasta had ever told me, but I needed to see what was going on from a different perspective. They didn?t know me, and I really didn?t know them, but the difference was that I knew they were part of the Symarix force while I wasn?t, even though they weren?t aware of that.

?Yes, Arronsal often thought the same things?? The harpy had told me, ?The far reaches of the world have been seen by all, and there is no sight of the Vault anywhere. If such a thing did exist, all would have known about its location.?

I had thought freeing Darzaras would be a return favor after what he gave us back at the stone wall where he was imprisoned. Heck, I really didn?t care much about the Vault to tell the truth. The whole reason for my siding with the Emerald Alliance in the first place was the feeling that with them, I would probably have the best chances of ever getting back home. Vaults, power and whatever really didn?t mean that much to me, or at least not anymore.

?But I wonder?? I told the harpy, looking at the setting sun just past them, ?Who are they, and where do they come from? No one has been after the stones in such a long time??

Neo Pikachu

Forever Gold
    Years
    Chapter 10 continued...

?Darzaras sometimes comes across good candidates that have some chance of getting the stones for him.? One of the other harpies had spoken, ?He wants out, above all else. But usually it?s the weakest of the Emerald Alliance members that come across his lost location out of their wanderlust.?

?These ones have been a bit more clever?? The first harpy had responded, ?Rather than going after one gem at a time, they?ve been all over Symarix getting all the gems at once, forcing us to constantly reroute our chase. Rumor has it that they were once humans, and now have blended in with the rest of the races of Symarix, making it many times harder to track them. Already Talzek and Manostan have been destroyed, and hearing news that Arronsal is now gone leaves only one gem left before all four have been obtained.?

That could only mean that Kenneth and Eric were already done getting their own gem. After hearing this, I had realized that the Symarix army was very hot on our tail. Getting the snow gem was going to be a nightmare considering almost all of Symarix knew about our plans and was getting all set to strike.

?Humans, hmm?? I asked, wondering how they thought of them, ?Obviously they haven?t been in Palantria for very long. Just what are they fighting for??

?I just don?t know?? The harpy responded, looking away for a bit, ?I don?t know where they come from, but so many drastic things happen to them in very little time. No doubt that both the Khans and the Emerald Alliance attempt to get their hands on them by telling them that there is always a way of going back to where they came from by crushing the other side.?

Now I thought was a good time to pop the big question. After all, for too long I had been working off of Jocasta?s biased belief, without even questioning that it might be wrong.

?And do you think there is such a way for them to return?? I asked the harpy, very curious to hear her response.

?If there is a way to bring them here, then I believe there is a way for them to go back.? She replied, thinking it over, ?However, I don?t ever think that will be made clear to them as long both the Emerald Alliance and the Khans exist. Both sides want the humans on their side to win their own war, and simply showing them the exit will only lose them potential soldiers.?

I almost found it funny that Jocasta never once mentioned the forces of Symarix to us before. If fact, I was beginning to think that she didn?t even know about their existence. The only things we were fed were that the Khans were evil metal raiders, and that it was either fight for them or fight for the Emerald Alliance. And thinking logically, if we didn?t agree, mostly likely we would be outcasts. Either that, or possibly tortured or killed?

?I was usually told it was the Khans who made the portals to Palantria?.? I told the female harpy, beginning to feel different about it now.

?They?re both responsible for it.? The harpy replied, looking away as the night had begun to fall, ?Some humans end up in the hands of the Emerald Alliance, and others sometimes end up with the Khans. It?s almost funny how the side they fight for really only depends on which portal they go through??

And I realized that perfectly explained why we ended up in Palantria in the first place. I knew she was telling the truth, since that was exactly the part that Jocasta had never told us. I had even told Jocasta that all I wanted was to reach home, but she lied and told me it was the Khans who were responsible. She made it seem like the Emerald Alliance was the only force of good, and that the Khans were evil. And honestly, I wouldn?t be surprised if the Khans were feeding the same stupid story to all the humans they managed to nab. Apparently, no one knew of their true intentions, no one but the people of Symarix?

If what Jocasta had said was really the truth, then why were there portals on the Emerald Alliance side? If the Khans were the ones in control, they wouldn?t be stupid enough to put portals that would lead on that side of the world. I don?t know why I didn?t see it sooner?

In the end, I learned that while the Emerald Alliance and the Khans were busy slaughtering each other, influencing humans to join their cause with the promise of returning home upon their victory, the people of Symarix remained neutral, and wanted nothing to do with it. They didn?t care who won, since the war would probably never die and the Vault of Supremacy, even if it did exist, was being used to drive both armies. I essence, they were fighting a lost cause. There were ways to reach home, but it was obvious that the leaders of both armies never wanted to pass that knowledge down to those who really wanted it. It was simple. Why let your army run home while they can fight for your own selfish desires??

I felt like a real idiot. Maybe long ago Golgathas still thought the Vault existed, but as far as I knew that wasn?t the case. Darzaras gave us those powers just so he could get his butt out of there. He looked and sounded like he hadn?t had human candidates in hundreds of years, and we were just what he needed. After that, I decided to take things into my own hands?

?Where is the temple of Wintershire located?? I asked the harpy, figuring she would know.

?Head east, past the city of Frostridge and along the coast.? She told me, looking away for a bit, ?If you?re going to try and stop them, I wish you luck. Remember, they already destroyed the last Rainbow Butterfly Guardian??

I was silent, and for that minute, I was beginning to feel guilty for destroying Arronsal. I was beginning to feel like he was right, and I was wrong?

I had quickly said goodbye to them, and then flew furiously toward the city of Frostridge. I passed by even more plains of snow and when I arrived at the city, I had seen that it appeared to be made up of wooden houses constantly covered by a white blanket of snow. It looked like a town that had been created around the colonial times, with basic log cabins, small wooden and unpainted buildings and narrow roads. Already, the night was beginning to fall, and I was running out of time.

After I flew along the snowy coast, I had found a cathedral similar to the one that I found in Springside, only it constructed out of stones that were a frosty blue color. I descended toward the ground slowly, and upon landing on the snow, I folded my wings up. Then, while the night settled and the only light came from the moon, I had approached the two wooden doors. Just before I touched the handles, I had seen someone move about by the side of the steps that lead to the doors. And then, after looking him over, I finally realized who it was. He seemed freaked out of his mind after seeing me.

?Don?t even come near me.? He growled, showing me his nails that were now like claws, ?I don?t know how you figured out I was here, but I?ll kill you if I have to.?

Man, what a heck of a shock. Before moving or saying anything else, I really wanted to make sure I was talking to the right person, and not some freakish night stalker?

?Kenneth, that isn?t you, is it?? I asked him, looking into the darkness where he was lurking.

And then, he stopped for a moment. Slowly, he emerged from the shadows behind the stairs, and I couldn?t believe it. No doubt it was Kenneth, and I could see even from his face that the effects of becoming a Draco were getting to him. I could only see his head and his hands, and I saw already so much of him had changed. The irises in his eyes were a dark crimson red, and his ears had fully changed into ones that looked very much like a dragon?s. As for his hands, he was growing long black claws that looked razor-sharp. After five days, I wasn?t surprised seeing he had become a full Draco?

?No?? He told himself, almost looking away, ?There?s no freaking way??

?Kenneth, it?s me, Chris?? I told him, kneeling down to get a better look at him.

?Chris??? Kenneth asked me, stepping back a bit, ?What the heck? You look like a giant Monarch butterfly that had a really bad encounter with a tie-dye t-shirt. What happened to you??

I honestly wasn?t surprised to see Kenneth shocked at my appearance. Since the night had fallen and all I could do was wait, I told him the whole story, and every little and stupid thing that happened to me while I was in Springside. After I told him that, he too, thought it was strange for me to be the one chosen to take Arronsal?s position as Rainbow Butterfly Guardian.

?Funny.? Kenneth had told me, looking away for a bit, ?I nearly had to threaten the heck out of people myself in order to find that stupid temple in Summerfield. Once I found it, then I had to fight off this lizard guy called Talzek. And during the whole time, all I had to do was mention I was from the Emerald Alliance and I already had a bounty on my head??

That didn?t sound too far off from what I had to go through. After a few moments, I tried to see if Eric was around, but there wasn?t much I could see in the darkness.

?Did Eric come back?? I asked Kenneth, wondering if he got here before I did.

?Nope, still no sign of him.? Kenneth responded, looking down for a minute, ?But then again, I was able to fly down here and the same probably goes for you. He?s probably walking all the way down here, and plus there is the reality that it could have taken him longer to find the temple in Fallador??

I wasn?t surprised. Eric wasn?t usually the kind to threaten people, and he liked to do most things on his own without the help of others. I could only hope that nothing happened to him in the meantime.

?Honestly, I think we?re wasting our time?? I told Kenneth, telling him how I felt about the Emerald Alliance.

?And why?s that?? Kenneth asked, sounding surprised.

?The Emerald Alliance is using us as a tool to win against the Khans.? I told him, stating what I thought was the obvious, ?To me, there is no stupid Vault or whatever. Both of them know the way home, but if they showed us, then we wouldn?t be around to help them win their stupid war.?

Kenneth chuckled a little, and then he looked away a bit. I really had no idea what he was thinking about, and I was becoming a bit anxious thinking some of that Draco stuff was getting to his head.

?Seriously?? Kenneth replied, looking away a bit, ?Chris, I don?t want to stay here forever. I would think that after becoming some flower wearin? Lilyara, or whatever you call ?em, and then finish it off with becoming some? big butterfly, or whatever the heck you are? you would have gotten the idea that, yeah? this place really does suck??

?Don?t get me wrong, Kenneth?? I told him, realizing he wasn?t really seeing it the right way, ?I don?t like this place anymore than you do. Remember Jocasta? She knew we wanted to get out of here. I even told her that, but she fed us crap saying it was all from the Khans. If that was really true, then why did we end up in the hands of the Emerald Alliance? Think about it. It just doesn?t make any sense??

?I think these Symarix boys have been getting in your head, Chris.? Kenneth told me, still avoiding any trace of eye contact, ?I don?t care who wins, I just want to get out of this place. And for Pete?s sake please don?t tell me the three of us got these gems for nothing. I would think you of all people would be the last one to side with Symarix considering what they?ve done to you.?

No doubt, I did question my reasoning for that for some time. But then again, both sides would never really prevail against each other. If we just continued the way we were going, nothing was ever going to change.

?Kenneth, to say the least, the two of us sure ain?t human anymore.? I told him, knowing he was well aware of that, ?And I wouldn?t be surprised if the same happened to Eric. How did Darzaras send us on this mission? Simple. All it took was a little enticement and there we were. No doubt that if we?re the ones who free him, all we?ll get is just a pat on the back, because that is what we were expected to do.?

?Chris, I never said I really liked the Emerald Alliance.? Kenneth replied, slowly making contact, ?If fact, if I could, I?d say forget about them. But I can?t. Not if they can bring us home??

?Who ever said they would?? I asked him, thinking about it logically, ?Kenneth, that was a long time ago, back when we were humans and we were thinking of nothing but getting back on the Interstate, and were willing to do anything to do that. They brought us here, because serving them was just what they wanted. It was an empty promise, because the only thing they want is for the Khans to be dead. And if you think about it, they?re not any different.?

Kenneth turned away and sighed impatiently, and then looked downward as he was thinking it over. I could see he didn?t exactly like the idea either.

?Funny thing is, you were the first to join them?? Kenneth told me, looking back into my eyes, ?I guess your reason was the same as mine, and that there was no other way about it. If you?re planning on joining Symarix?s army, then exactly how do you plan on getting rid of both the Emerald Alliance and the Khans? If you get rid of both of them, you might just ruin any chance of us ever getting home again.?

?Either way, I can?t return to the Emerald Alliance, no matter what.? I told Kenneth seriously, looking into his eyes, ?Like it or not, I?m the Rainbow Butterfly Guardian, a key leader for Symarix, and a prime enemy of both the Emerald Alliance and the Khans. And I wouldn?t doubt that Eric has become one like the people in Fallador, yet another person of Symarix and enemy of both armies. To say the least, the two of us could easily be hunted down just based on our appearance alone. Kenneth, you can go free Darzaras if you want to, but you?ll be doing it alone. And if you think about the whole Emerald Alliance thing, we really didn?t have a choice. If we didn?t join the Emerald Alliance, then we would have likely been considered an enemy. Then what do you think would have happened??

Kenneth was silent for a minute. He looked down, shook his head a bit, and then looked up. He then turned to me and was about to say something, but then he was interrupted.

?He?s right you know?? A voice had said out of the darkness?

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    More great stuff from you! Good chapter to read on my last day here in a while. You only messed up a few times that I saw, but otherwise it's great!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Ooooh - suspense at the end! This has certainly been an informative chapter, with not much action - but that's still good. We can't have action all the time in fics otherwise it just gets really boring. It's also nice how we see the story from another point of view that is. Many people when faced that amount of dialouge would have literally left it at the point where there was little description (when talking to the harpies that is), and have just wrote: "???" said, "???" said blah blah blah. Instead, you spiced it up a bit with some more background information. Well done.

The only thing I didn't really like in this chapter was the flying scene. Surely Chris would have been more than happy and at least in awe that he was flying. He's like the only person in the world that can fly, and he's just treating it like it's a walk in the park. If it was me flying, I'd be shouting "I CAN FLY!!!" all the time, and never really get tired of it. His reaction seemed kinda vague to be honest.

Well, another good chapter - if not the liveliest - in this very good fanfiction. ^_^

Desaparecidos

[Bright Eyes]
    Years
    • Age 39
    • mass
    • Seen Oct 15, 2004
    incredible. that's basically the only word i can describe your work. your descriptions are beautifully painted in my mind. it feels like i am there as i read.

the only thing i was hoping for was maybe some shifts in the story. say right before something exciting is about to happen to Chris, the story shifts over to Kenneth or Eric, and then shifts back accordingly.

please keep up the great work. you def put a lot into this, and it shows. =D

Back