• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2011
    Because it's a retarded to to be angry about. It really, really is.

I can understand why people might appreciate a different secondary type, but I can't see why Fire/Fighting is such a big deal just because we've had it 3 times in a row.

If it's really getting to you that badly, you need help. It's unhealthy to be getting worked up over such an incredibly minor issue.

I had a feeling that the final Pig evo would stand on two legs and look totally badass, so Fire/Fighting was a possible combination again, as far as I was concerned.

Were you planning on choosing Pokabu as your starter?

No one's getting 'worked up' to that point, over a game.
    -_-

I don't know why you're taking it that far when we're just saying its INCREDIBLY STUPID AND RETARDED to do this 3 times in a row, when there's 14, count it, 14 other types that could be implemented.

You would be the one having a problem to not see why this would anger/disappoint/piss-off people.

The facts are there, and the result is idiotic.
    'nuff said.

Shadow01192

RK9 Unit
    Years
    I have to make mention, imagine the last two images of pokabu and mijumaru in silhouette. Now imagine again if you will the bipedal larger one being blue and on it's side's being the shells for swords. Surely you see where I am going with this. It is a bit of a long shot but it is possible that someone had the right silhouettes but the wrong information on how the final's looked. I think that would clear up pretty much everything but the typing, which to be honest I am a bit perturbed that pokabu is fire/fighting but I think I am slightly more irked that the other two are single types.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Here's something to think about. Fire/Fighting is an excellent defensive and offensive typing. It's not hard to see the latent benefits of it. It's the same reason why Blaziken and Infernape were OU in their debut generations. The only reason you'd have to call it unoriginal is if he was based on the same concepts and has the same stat allocation as Blaziken and Infernape, which he clearly doesn't. :/

GrifSpark

Your personal livin' Pokedex
    Years
    I have no problem with Fire/Fighting-types, but the fact that they have made three starters in a row with that type is a little annoying. I'd like it if there was a Pokemon with this typing that wasn't a starter Pokemon, but I do believe that it should have a different typing...

We haven't had a Fire/Psychic type yet, maybe Nintendo should give that one a shot?

I guess I can go along with another one though, I'm planning on choosing Mijumaru for my starter anyway!

sean777

Poke veteren since red version
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2014
    I really dont mind the final evo of pokabu at all :)

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
    No one's getting 'worked up' to that point, over a game.
    -_-

I don't know why you're taking it that far when we're just saying its INCREDIBLY STUPID AND RETARDED to do this 3 times in a row, when there's 14, count it, 14 other types that could be implemented.

You would be the one having a problem to not see why this would anger/disappoint/piss-off people.

The facts are there, and the result is idiotic.
    'nuff said.
    So because I appreciate the work put into these games, and I don't flip over something that is of little significance, I'm the one with a problem?

How does that even work?

If you're at all 'pissed off' or 'angry' because of this, you are a very, very strange person.

Disappointed? Fine. Angry and pissed off? That's not normal.

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2011
    So because I appreciate the work put into these games, and I don't flip over something that is of little significance, I'm the one with a problem?

How does that even work?

If you're at all 'pissed off' or 'angry' because of this, you are a very, very strange person.

:P

You're right!
    I don't mind that the fire starter is again a fighting pokemon.
    I mean it all makes sense now and it's perfectly reasonable and explainable!!

No.

I doubt you'd feel the same if Feraligatr, Swampert and Empoleon were all Water/Steel.
    If Venasaur, Meganium, Sceptile and Torterra were all Grass/Poison.
    And heck lets just say what if Typhlosion was also Fire/Fighting, I mean he looks like the fighting type too mirite??
    Then it would be 4 in a row!!
    Ooo, wow.

But of course you're just gonna say you wouldn't care if that occurred as well.
    :cer_nod:

Years

You're right!

No.

I doubt you'd feel the same if Feraligatr, Swampert and Empoleon were all Water/Steel.
    And heck lets just say what if Typhlosion was also Fire/Fighting, I mean he looks like the fighting type too mirite??
    Ooo, wow.

You cannot pass judgment on a game that you've never played. Don't knock it til you try it.

Honestly, who really gives a crap? If you dont like the fire starter, then oh, don't pick it. A novel idea right there. Import yourself a Typhlosion or a Charizard then. But don't gripe and whine about something so mundane, its a bit ridiculous.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years

You're right!

No.

Ooo, wow.

Right, because having 3 lots of Fire/Fighting in a row is just as bad as all 3 starters having exactly the same typing combinations for 4 generations. :tired:

[/sarcasm]

I'll say it one more time. Having a 3rd Fire/Fighting starter is not a big deal. If you don't like it, don't choose Pokabu.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2010

How does that even work?

Dude, have you ever noticed that every time there's an argument in this forum, you're involved in it? Srsly.

Also, it's in our right to be angry about this. I'm not saying I am, but respect other people's opinions. You're not mad about it, cool. I congratulate you for putting up with this repetitiveness. I don't mind it being Fire/Fighting, I just think that it is overused, and on top of that, it's the third time in a row! I'll choose it anyways, because I like the design and because I didn't choose any of the other Fire/Fighting, but I would be mad if I did. How hard can it be to choose another type? Or making all of them pure-typed? I'd love to see a double cycle: "Grass/Psychic, Fire/Dark, Water/Fighting", making the starters awesome and most likely to end up in you're party 'till the rest of the game. In conclusion, I'm not that mad either, because I didn't choose the other Fire/Fighting ones, and because I actually like the design, but I totally understand that other people get, in fact, angry. It's called respecting an opinion...

Years
    Dude, have you ever noticed that every time there's an argument in this forum, you're involved in it? Srsly.

Also, it's in our right to be angry about this. I'm not saying I am, but respect other people's opinions. You're not mad about it, cool. I congratulate you for putting up with this repetitiveness. I don't mind it being Fire/Fighting, I just think that it is overused, and on top of that, it's the third time in a row! I'll choose it anyways, because I like the design and because I didn't choose any of the other Fire/Fighting, but I would be mad if I did. How hard can it be to choose another type? Or making all of them pure-typed? I'd love to see a double cycle: "Grass/Psychic, Fire/Dark, Water/Fighting", making the starters awesome and most likely to end up in you're party 'till the rest of the game. In conclusion, I'm not that mad either, because I didn't choose the other Fire/Fighting ones, and because I actually like the design, but I totally understand that other people get, in fact, angry. It's called respecting an opinion...

Dude... have you ever noticed the 3 fire/fighting pokemon we're speaking of, are the only ones, out of close to 660 pokemon. Its not like it's that common typing.

Also, he values an opinion as much as anybody else does, but he's arguing against a troll, not a valid opinion in the first place.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years

Not at any point did I ever say people aren't entitled to their opinion.

My argument is that getting worked up over something incredibly insignificant/unimportant is stupid. Maybe a different type would have been nicer, but at the end of the day, does it really make that big a difference?

It just makes me cringe when I come on here and see people yelling about how OMFG THIS IZ LIEK TEH 3RD TYM IN A ROW WTF ZOMFG!!!!1111!!!!1!11!111

And the reason I'm involved in so many arguments is mainly due to the amount of close-minded comments many people post on these forums.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2011
    Are you serious?
    I'm the one trolling over here?

The whole forum Pokemon fandom was furious when it was announced that it'd be fire/fighting again.
    Or are you forgetting that?

And when I'm not afraid to bring it up, I get attacked.

Dude... have you ever noticed the 3 fire/fighting pokemon we're speaking of, are the only ones, out of close to 660 pokemon. Its not like it's that common typing.
    Dude... have you ever noticed that we're talking about Starters, and not 660 pokemon?
    It's not common typing when in the last 3 gens it's been the same 3/3 times.

Think about it. It's not that hard.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
    Are you serious?

The whole forum Pokemon fandom was furious when it was announced that it'd be fire/fighting again.

Dude... have you ever noticed that we're talking about Starters, and not 660 pokemon?

You have got to be kidding me.

So what if we're talking about the starters? Who's pinning you down and holding a gun to your head forcing you to use one of the starters as part of your team? No-one.

Also, nobody is trolling. I'm just arguing that being pissed off or angry about it is retarded.

And also, stop making a fool of yourself with the whole "Everyone in Pokemon fandom is furious about this" bull****. I'm not furious about it, and I'm sure plenty of normal Pokemon fans with lives outside of games and the internet will say they just shrugged it off, even if they didn't like it at first.

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2011
    So what if we're talking about the starters? Who's pinning you down and holding a gun to your head forcing you to use one of the starters as part of your team? No-one.
    Well. There's no gun to my head.
    We've just simply been talking about the fire STARTER's evos.
    That's pretty clear.

"even if they didn't like it at first."
    There you go.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2010
    You have got to be kidding me.

Also, nobody is trolling. I'm just arguing that being pissed off or angry about it is retarded.

And also, stop making a fool of yourself with the whole "Everyone in Pokemon fandom is furious about this" bull****. I'm not furious about it, and I'm sure plenty of normal Pokemon fans with lives outside of games and the internet will say they just shrugged it off, even if they didn't like it at first.

Stop calling it retarded! Respect people and their opinions! I'm okay with it too, but you don't see me calling people retarded or anything.

Years
    Are you serious?

Obvious troll is obvious.

Not everyone freaked out because it was fire/fighting, me included. You're making generalizations that have no basis in fact what so ever. Its not something to get bent out of shape over.

Ok, so by your logic, this is permissible:

The last five sets of starters have had the exact same types! Fire, water and grass! That's like, so un-original. Oh no! Im gonna hate on Game Freak now!

/sarcasm

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2011
    No.
    Fire/Water/Grass is the basis.
    They decided to add a bonus to the basis.
    Another possible type.
    14 possible types.
    Yet the last 7 years they re-did one combination.
    From 14 possible types.

And what?? I am trolling?

Says the guy who's using troll language 101.

but he's arguing against a troll, not a valid opinion in the first place.
    Hypocrite..?

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2010

Not everyone freaked out because it was fire/fighting, me included. You're making generalizations that have no basis in fact what so ever. Its not something to get bent out of shape over.

Ok, so by your logic, this is permissible:

The last five sets of starters have had the exact same types! Fire, water and grass! That's like, so un-original. Oh no! Im gonna hate on Game Freak now!

/sarcasm

But that's different. It's like celebrating xmas every year on the same day. It's tradition. On the other hand, it's not a tradition for the fire type starter, to have fighting as its secondary type. You're just trolling as much as you claimed the others to troll.

PsychoJigglypuff

Crazy and Loving It!
    Years
    Oh this is always the best part of the couple weeks before a new game. The inevitable wangst and fights. Of repeating the same things over and over again. So much fun. And then after the game comes out, it settles down. And people move on. Such a lovely sight to see. Popcorn anyone?

I'm going to get a Pokabu, which is my favorite so far. I might get Mijumaru in my English copy of the game, but I'll probably just stick with Pokabu. I most likely won't get Tsutaja. I like bulky starters.

Edit: I like how I've probably posted about my love of bulky starters at least four times in this thread.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back