• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Story of Kaboom, the Twilight Pokémon

Kaboom

Twilight Blaziken
    Years
    This is my story. It takes place on an island named Crindo. All feedback is welcome. Following feedback received, I must remind everyone that though this is in the first person, I'm writing about my life now, and so any inexplicable knowledge can be explained by this fact.

Scene 1: The Beginning

The first few seconds of my life passed like those of any other Torchic: I hatched from an egg. My mother, Kablam, was standing beside me, and my father, Kervlam, was beside her. They looked happy but, at the same time, nervous. I looked around and saw that we were in a cave. Outside was a desert land, where a sandstorm was raging.

Then those few normal seconds were over. All the grains of sand swirling in the storm fell as one. The wind driving them stilled instantly. Eerie shadows moved over the landscape.

Kervlam seemed shocked. "It cannot be," he said. "How could they have located us? And so quickly!"

A dark blob flew in through the entrance. It landed just two paces from me and fuzzed out. My mother grabbed me and concealed me behind some rocks. I didn't understand what was going on, but my instincts told me it was dangerous.

More of the blobs flew into the cave, but my parents hugged the wall and none of them hit. A few moments passed and then a Pokémon made entirely of gas except for two fangs whooshed into the cavern. My father blasted it with fire from his wrists and it blew up. The two fangs fell to the floor and disappeared.

A sinister wind blew in the cave. Kablam and Kervlam adopted fighting stances.

"It's been lovely knowing you," said Kablam.
    "We can do this. We must to save our son," responded Kervlam. He sounded a lot more confident than his shaking hands suggested.

The wind increased. Chaos erupted: hundreds of Pokémon swarmed into the cave. Amongst them were more of the gassy ones, some bipedal clawed ones, some quadrupeds with rings and some black birds. My parents united power to create a stupendously hot fire wall and project it forwards. The gas Pokémon disappeared and the bipeds clutched their hearts as they fell, but the others continued onwards. As soon as they came in range, my parents struck them with blazing fists.

Just when they were about to win through impossible odds, a swarm of bat Pokémon flew into the cave. They flittered around the ceiling and emitted a mind-numbing sound. It was too much for me, and I wiped out.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2008
    Ok, I quite like this so far... It's short... And basic, but I like it... Also:

"We can do this. We must, to save our son," responded Kervlam. He sounded a lot more confident than he looked.

That should be spaced out twice, shouldn't it?

Anyways, I'll keep my eye on this for a while, later!

Kaboom

Twilight Blaziken
    Years
    What do you mean "spaced out twice"?

Scene 2: The Journey

When I awoke, I was alone in the cave. The sandstorm was raging once more. There was no sign of Kablam or Kervlam anywhere. The only trace to be found was a few red feathers. I decided to have some proper sleep, rather than being knocked out.​

Nothing had changed when I woke up again. The sandstorm had calmed a bit, so I decided to take a look outside. The first thing I saw was my parents, chained to a large boulder. Kablam was dead, and Kervlam was bleeding copiously from a wound on his chest.​
    "My son!" he cried, "You're safe. Thank Moltres for that!" He groaned in pain. "Your name shall be Kaboom. It is a noble name. Bear it with pride.
    "Now, Kaboom, it's only a matter of time before they learn of your existence, and when they do, they'll come for you. You must flee! It's too late for us now. Go north. Follow the road and you will come to a city. Find Braise and tell her who you are. She's a...a..." He didn't get a chance to finish: the sparks around his wrists faded and went out. He was dead, too.

I was depressed. I was just a hatchling and both my parents were dead. But I knew I had to go. My parents were overwhelmed by the enemy's power, and I didn't even know how to breathe fire yet! I wouldn't stand a chance if I stayed. I set off north just as the sun set, casting colourful lights upon the few clouds in the sky. As beautiful as it was, it did nothing to relieve my sadness. The sandstorm turned into a gentle caress, but the wind blew sand in my face, making headway difficult.​

I finally found the road. It was totally invisible under the sand, but I knew it was there when my claws hit rock. The road turned northeast, so I followed it as the last rays of sunlight disappeared. It was completely dark, so I had only my claws to find out whether I was still on the road. To make things worse, the sandstorm intensified once more.​

I lost track of time stumbling in the darkness. The only way I could know how long I'd been walking was judging by the ache in my legs. It was unbearable, but fear drove me onwards. Fortunately, the sandstorm calmed once more.

The sun rose to find me exhaustedly continuing onwards. When I could give no more, I flopped onto a pile of sand.
    "Hoi! Do you mind?" said he pile. It stood up and faced me.
    "I'm sorry!" I exclaimed, "I thought you were a pile of sand!"
    "Ah, it's not the first time. I'm Hippopotas. And you are?"
    "I'm Torchic," I responded, deciding to keep my true name to myself.
    "I see. So, Torchic, where are you bound? You look like you've been walking for hours."
    "I have been walking for hours. I'm going to the city at the end of this road."
    "Goodness, that's far! You'll be going for another five hours at that pace. Let me give you a ride. Your legs could do with it."
    "Oh, thank you! Thank you! Thankyouthankyouthankyou! I thought I'd never make it!"
    I used the last of my energy to climb onto Hippopotas's back and fell asleep as it set off at a trot.

Last edited:

Kaboom

Twilight Blaziken
    Years
    Chapter 3: Entering Janucity

Hippopotas woke me when we were fifty paces from the entrance to the city. It explained how it tended to avoid cities on principle, so I would have to go in alone. We parted company and Hippopotas returned to the desert.
    At the entrance to the city was a sign:​
    Welcome to Janucity!
    Note to humans: you are now entering a protected Pokémon city.

Pokémon were just getting active. Shops opened as the clock tower chimed eight times. In the distance, I could see another of the bipedal Pokémon that had attacked in the cave. It was carrying a bag and looking around furtively. Then all of a sudden it jumped a metre into the air and fled, hotly pursued by a magnificent-looking Pokémon. The pursuer was orange, on four legs and possessed many tails streaming behind it.

I looked around at the shops. They sold all kinds of items. A particularly pleasant smell was emanating from a shop that sold berries. Another shop was selling items for those setting out on an adventure.

Overwhelmed by the enormity of the city, I had momentarily forgotten what I was there for. I approached the nearest Pokémon I could find - a white and purple rat, as it happened.

"Excuse me," I asked, "Do you know where I might find a Pokémon named Braise?"
    "Errm... no. Sorry. I know her, but I've no idea where she lives. You should try the Pelipper Post Office, down there. They should be able to help you."
    "OK. Thanks."
    "No problem."

I continued down the road. The Post Office was a large building, entirely painted blue. Inside was a bustle of activity. Pelipper were flying from one place to another sorting letters of all kinds into piles. Another Pelipper entered through a hole in the roof, landed beside a pile, put the pile in its bill and flew off again. Right at the back was a counter behind which were perched three more Pelipper. I went to one of them.
    "Hi, there, kiddo," it said, "Can I help you?"
    "Yes. I'd like to know where a Pokémon named Braise lives, please."
    "That's easy. Up the hill and in the cave."
    "Thanks a lot."
    "Will that be all?"
    "Yes, thank you. Good bye."
    "See ya."

I exited the Post Office and proceeded towards the hill. It was just outside the eastern edge of the city. The cave entrance was right at the top. I entered nervously.​

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    This is my story. It takes place on an island named Crindo. All feedback is welcome.

Nope, sorry, wrong. Any information relevant for the plot of your fanfic should be presented within the fanfic, not as an author's note. If your readers need to know that the location of the fic is an island called Crindo you will introduce the place as such, though given that your main protagonist is a pokemon, it remains to be seen whether or not the name of the place is in any way relevant.

The first few seconds of my life passed like any other Torchic: I hatched from an egg. My mother, Kablam, was standing beside me, and my father, Kervlam, was beside her. They looked happy, but at the same time, nervous. I looked around and saw that we were in a cave. Outside was a desert land, where a sandstorm was raging.

Passed like a Torchic? Umm...wtf? Torchics have no particular way of passing (passing what, by the way?), as far as I know. o.O If you meant that his life passed like a regular Torchic's life then you should say that (I.e. "the first few seconds of my life passed like those of any other Torchic's), though I'll have to question whether being in a sandstorm-surrounded cave with parents who are being hunted qualifies as a normal start to one's life. The naming practice here also seems a bit...weird (It's actually questionable whether pokemon even have a need for names, but that's a debate for another day). Also, how the flarp does a newborn known the names of their parents? x.O

The wind increased. Chaos erupted: hundreds of Pokémon swarmed into the cave. Amongst them were more of the gassy ones, some bipedal clawed ones, some quadrupeds with rings and some black birds. My parents united power to create a fire wall and project it forwards. The gas Pokémon disappeared and the bipeds clutched their hearts as they fell, but the others continued onwards. As soon as they came in range, my parents struck them with blazing fists.

Okay, no offense but this doesn't sound like a pokemon narrating this at all. I mean, words like 'biped' and 'quadruped' are scientific terminology, created for the needs of human biologists. Just where precisely did he learn language like this? o.O It also strikes me as odd that Kaboom (That name is making it so hard for me to take him seriously as a protagonist, really) would remember events that occurred so early in his childhood with such clarity. I mean come on, if I quizzed you on what happened after your mother gave birth to you, how much would you remember, really? I'd imagine that an infant pokemon's memory would be centered on what he felt at the time (emotions, temperature changes, etc.) and possibly some arbitary things like noises, certain colors or light levels, but this kind of overview of a battle during which he supposedly huddled behind a rock just doesn't seem feasible.

I was depressed. I was just a hatchling and both my parents were dead. But I knew I had to go.

Okay, I lost interest right here. This is an infant pokemon. He hasn't even existed for twenty-four hours yet. He would not even have had time to learn proper communication or walking and would certainly not have any idea of what to do except what his instincts tell him, and judging by the pokedex data the natural reaction would be to stick as closely to his parents as possible. A pokemon of this age would have no concept of death or injury yet, he would not be physically or mentally equipped to take care of himself or make decisions of this magnitude on his own, let alone reason over his decisions like this. An infant would most likely not even know how to walk yet. There's a reason for why animals nurse their young until they come of age, you know. -.-

This looks...just rushed, to be honest. Your protagonist is so ridiculously over-competent for someone who's supposed to have just been born into the world that it's not even funny, and even though he's technically supposed to be a pokemon, nothing in the way you're narrating your story is giving any indication of this being the case. For all practical reasons, he could just be a human. It would make about as much sense, too. >.<

In addition, your chapters are way too short. You've devoted next to no time to emotional description and the events are brushed past way too fast. Give us some time, give your character depth! As it is, I don't really give a damn about kaboom or his parents even though the latter have just died and that really sucks. Before going for a dramatic scene like this, you should get your readers acquainted with the characters in question and preferably get them to understand how important they are to your protagonist so that the reader can appreciate the magnitude of his loss. (And no, "I was depressed" does not make me appreciate it, it really doesn't. Not to mention that anger, shock and denial typically precede depression in these cases)

Just...take a reality check here. First off, give Kaboom some freakin' time to grow before you send him out into the world. There's not a chance in heck that a newborn Torchic could survive on their own, there really isn't. Give him a few months to mature and develop the basics of intelligent thought. I know that losing his parents early on is your big thing and all, but he would still be a small, inexperienced, pokemon after a few months and with a little bit of time to it he would actually have some time to grow attached to his parents. As it is, they are gone so quickly that it's already weird for him to even care. ("OMG! The random people who I knew for a few second of my life are gooooone! I'm so depressed! ;.:" Am I the only one who's seeing something wrong with that sentence? Really?)

Also, when narrating events always keep your viewpoint in mind. Remember, this is supposed to be told from the perspective of a Torchic. Not a human with a thesaurus at hand; a Torchic, a Torchic who was still very young at the time. He would not be able to process or analyze the events nearly as well as he's doing it now. In fact, with the current timeline, he would not have had the time to learn the meaning of any of these concepts he's so liberally spouting. Cave? Shop? Biped? Sandstorm? Just who taught him what all these words mean? Normally, the meanings of most of these things would be taught by parents, but because you're killing them off right at the get-go it can't be done and as far as I can see no-one else has taken Kaboom aside and explained these things to him either. I also seriously doubt the prospect of a few-hour old Torchic who's just lost both his parents starting to develop his own vocabulary. Again, having him be a bit older at the time of these events would help, but your narration could still use more Torchicness to it, not to mention that your characters could actually use some personality.

Finally, your grammar and spacing could use some work. Every time the speaker in a conversation changes, it calls for a new paragraph (with full-line separation), same thing when your narration is switching from one topic to another. There's so much in this fic that bears addressing, but start with this. A trio of guides that you should definitely read:

Basic Pokemon Writing FAQ, Pokemon Fanfiction Writing Guide, and Grammar Advice (Due to be revised, but it still has some good points in it)

Those should cover most of what a good fanfic needs. I'd also suggest taking a look at some of the archived fanfics here to see the level of detail and quality that truly awesome fanfiction requires.

Last edited:

Kaboom

Twilight Blaziken
    Years
    Well, I did say all feedback was welcome, but I may have got more than I bargained for! Thanks for taking the time to comment, and here are my answers to some of the things you have said:
    Firstly, I must remind you that, for example, in the games, a newly-hatched Pokemon is capable of going into battle, understanding the Trainer's commands and everything else a Pokemon can do later.
    Second, I'm writing this now, and Pokemon have a better memory than people (and before you say "Says who?", I DO!
    Thirdly, I checked grammar and spacing extremely carefully and don't spot any mistakes. If there are any, could you please point them out specifically?
    Fourthly, I have a retired English teacher for a grandmother who has been through all this and said it would deserve a B+ grade.
    Fifthly, please keep the swearing out of your comment.

All in all, I'm 15 years old, living in France, so all my literacy work revolves around French philosophers from the XVIIth century, so please don't overdo it on the criticism, thank you!

Anyway, with that out of the way, let's get with the next Chapter.

Scene 4: Meeting Braise

"Who goes there?" boomed a voice.
    I jumped, tried to locate the source of the sound and got thoroughly confused by the reverberations.
    Clearly, the Pokémon who had said these words could see me because it continued in a less aggressive voice, "What do you want, Torchic?"
    "I... I'm looking for Braise..."
    "Well, why didn't you say so in the first place?" The Pokémon I had seen pursuing the one with the bag earlier stepped out from a pile of rocks. "I am Braise."

I was flabbergasted by the beauty and elegance of Braise. Her numerous tails undulated in a stunning manner.

"Now, why don't you tell me who you are?"
    "I am Kaboom, the son of Kervlam and Kablam."
    Braise remained silent for a moment, staring at me with her vivid red eyes as though probing me.
    "I see. And I presume, since you're alone, that they're dead?"
    Tears welled up in my eyes. I hadn't thought about them since leaving.
    "I'm sorry," said Braise, "I should have realized. Are you hungry?"
    "Oh, yes. I haven't eaten since I hatched yesterday afternoon."
    "Then, come with me."

She led me down a passageway, deeper into the cave. The place was like a labyrinth, as though the entire hill was excavated with tunnels.

We eventually arrived in a large area with plenty of food in: fruits, berries and meat apparently bought from humans.
    "Help yourself," offered Braise, "I'll be back in a moment."
    Though I was starving, I only ate two apples and a few Bluk Berries. That's all it took to fill me up.

Braise returned carrying a box on her back. She twisted her head back and lifted it down. She then sat down and invited me to do the same.

"Now, Kaboom, you should know that we are in difficult times. I cannot tell you all about it, partly because you're too young to cope with it, but also because even I don't know all the details.
    "Let's start with the basics: who are friends and who are enemies? The boss of the enemy is a Pokémon who had the fortune to be unique, like Moltres and others like it. However, it was shunned by the others because of its diminutive size. In order to prove what it was capable of, it opened the door to the world of darkness. Doing so caused several new species of Pokémon to appear. These species are Sneasel, Weavile, Gastly, Haunter, Gengar, Murkrow and Honchkrow. Other species were affected, such as Eevee who transformed into Umbreon... sorry, you wanted to ask something?"
    "Yes. I don't know all these species. Could you describe them briefly?"
    Braise did so, providing a description of their appearance and their type.
    "Also," she continued, "there were some species of which a large number of individuals have turned to the Great Evil to sate their hunger for power, namely Zubat, Golbat, Crobat and other Ghost and Poison types.
    "And now for friends. Our group is composed of twelve members with your parents as the ringleaders. We are all Fire types, and we are the law keepers in this land. Here, take a look at this photo. This was taken a couple of years back. We're all on it."
    The photo had fourteen Pokémon on it, with Kablam and Kervlam in prominent positions. Braise was right beside them.

Just then an explosion shook the cave. Neatly piled boxes of food toppled over, but fortunately the contents remained inside. I was thrown off my feet and grabbed one of Braise's tails for support...

Last edited:

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Firstly, I must remind you that, for example, in the games, a newly-hatched Pokemon is capable of going into battle, understanding the Trainer's commands and everything else a Pokemon can do later.

In the games, you can jump down ledges but try to go up them and they're an impassable barrier.

In the games, a big city has about thirty houses (Only a few of which actually have doors so you can enter them) and can be traversed in five minutes. On foot.

In the games, ten-year old children beat evil organizations single-handedly.

In the games, Snorlax can fly and little Togepis explode, all at the wag of a finger. (Also known as Metronome)

In the games, you can't cut down a shrub until you've gotten yourself a gym badge.

In the games, you don't need to eat, drink, or sleep.

In the games, you can ride a newborn Horsea across oceans and fly across the region on the back of a Pidgey without either even getting tired.

These are simplifications that have been made in order to let you enjoy the battling and raising aspect of the game to its fullest and to ensure that the player character gets to enjoy all that the game world has to offer. Are you seriously arguing that any of this makes sense when you stop to think about it? If this were set in a game universe (I.e. the characters concretely being part of a game played by someone on their GBA), then I would buy it, but if you want to include death in the universe (an absolute taboo in the games where it's only faint at most) then you're letting realism into your world, and that means you'll have to deal with all the things that come with it.

Second, I'm writing this now, and Pokemon have a better memory than people (and before you say "Says who?", I DO!

Okay, yeah, if this is the attitude you're going to hold towards every point that someone raises against your way of doing things then you might as well withdraw from the FF section or at least be honest and replace that "All feedback appreciated" bit with "Only praise and agreement will be appreciated". There is no support for this statement within canon material and you have provided none of your own, thus this statement is not justified.

Thirdly, I checked grammar and spacing extremely carefully and don't spot any mistakes. If there are any, could you please point them out specifically?

If you insist...

They looked happy, but at the same time, nervous.

What rule of punctuation justifies that comma after "time"? Please do enlighten me. Also, that preposition should be after 'nervous', not before. That should be something like "They looked happy, but nervous at the same time.".

You've also got parts where you're just plain missing a word. Like this one:

In the distance, I could see another of the bipedal Pokémon that had attacked in the cave.

There should be a 'one' after 'another'. There are others too, but I can't focus on grammatical nitpicks when there are far more pressing issues with this fic.

Fourthly, I have a retired English teacher for a grandmother who has been through all this and said it would deserve a B+ grade.

And my mother says I've got artistic talent, even though I know that all I did was crop a picture with Adobe Photoshop. My Swedish teacher kept handing out As and B+s for writing which I, looking at it now, honestly wouldn't give anything above a C+. This is what we call bias; every reviewer has it, either for or against your writing or certain aspects of your writing. Given that the reviewer in question is your grandmother, could you possibly imagine that she might feel inclined to give you more positive feedback because she's afraid that she might discourage you from becoming a better writer if she's brutally honest about it?

Scenario two: is your grandmother a devoted pokemon fan? Because if she's a complete stranger to the franchise, her ability to comment on content (as opposed to just grammar and spelling) would be skewed.

Just think about these possibilities for a moment. Because really, unless you want your writing to tread on the spot then you'll have to start considering the viewpoints of people other than your grandmother at some point.

Fifthly, please keep the swearing out of your comment.

That's comments; I made many of them.

Ahh...you interpret 'freakin', 'heck' and 'flarp' as swearing? Mmmhmm, my bad, most of the folks here don't mind them so they tend to slip at times. I hope this post is suitably clean of such things, though? ^^

All in all, I'm 15 years old, living in France, so all my literacy work revolves around French philosophers from the XVIIth century, so please don't overdo it on the criticism, thank you!

Overdo it? Oh my, I didn't pick up on half the things I could have back there. I'm not a native speaker either, you know, so I don't usually give quarter just because someone else chooses to wave that as an excuse for not using the language properly. Eh...I guess this explains your tendency to overuse simple sentences (not grammatically wrong, but stylistically awkward at times) and some of the awkward word choices you've got here. It does not, however, excuse the gaping holes in your logic.

So like, I'd comment on the latest chapter but given that you're apparently not ready to accept any criticism of content I think I'll pass. There are plenty of others who are willing to do grammar, I'm sure. :\

Last edited:

s l u g

arriving somewhere but not here,
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 2, 2023
    You've Got determination friend do not loose heart keep up the good work^^

Kaboom

Twilight Blaziken
    Years
    Alter Ego said:
    So like, I'd comment on the latest chapter but given that you're apparently not ready to accept any criticism of content I think I'll pass. There are plenty of others who are willing to do grammar, I'm sure. :\
    Well, it's just that you commented on all the bad stuff and didn't mention anything that was good about it. I started posting this story on another forum, but gave up for lack of feedback, and they loved it, so there must be SOME good things...

Time for the next part - I'm renaming them as Scenes seeing as they are too short to be called Chapters.

Scene 5: The Dark World

As I grabbed one of Braise's tails for support, everything went black and Braise disappeared. I suddenly found myself in a totally black, featureless landscape.​

A few moments later, red beams of energy swirled in from all directions and condensed into a Braise shape entirely made of flames.​

"Kaboom, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to!" she said.​
    "Didn't mean to do what?"
    "By grabbing my tail you were subjected to a thousand year curse. I should have warned you, but I never expected something like that to happen. I'm going to get you out of there, but Janucity expects me to help after the explosion. Just look after yourself for a bit, OK? I'll get you out as fast as I can."
    Braise faded once more, leaving me alone.

Not exactly alone. A bunch of Sneasel popped out of nowhere and encircled me.​
    "Hello there, Kaboom," said one of them, clearly the leader, "You've led us a merry chase, you have. As a reward for evading us so long, I'll tell you this: in the Dark World, there are only your enemies!"
    They all snickered as they advanced, claws flashing in preparation.
    I was terrified: I had no way of defending myself and I had never battled before. But as the Sneasel moved closer, I felt a well of power under my talons. It rose into me and guided me and I breathed powerful fire. It was not orange, as expected, but purple. The Sneasel weren't affected as much as the others had been by Kervlam's fire, but nevertheless they cried out in pain and fled. As soon as they did so, the power left me and I was as defenceless as before.

Braise appeared once more. "I have little time," she said, "It will probably take six hours to get you out of there. Just... don't use the power of the land -"​
    "I already have, to fend off some Sneasel."
    "Oh, for Moltres' sake! That is the power of Darkness. Use it once or twice: fine. But too much and you become a pawn of the Darkness. The power will come to you when it thinks you'll use it, so avoid trouble at all costs. I'll see you later." She vanished again.

Using a small amount of logic, I figured I'd have less chances of needing the power of Darkness if I kept moving. I set off in a random direction and didn't stop.

After half an hour of walking, a pair of Zubat flew over me. Fortunately, as they're blind, they didn't notice me. They circled above where I had been and attempted to locate me again. They began to descend and I realized that, due to the featureless nature of the ground, I'd stand out like a beacon. I ran. Luckily, they missed me on the first sweep, giving me a chance to get further away.​

On their second sweep they found me and screeched. A horde of Umbreon appeared and chased after me. I was faster, but only just, so they remained fairly close behind me.​

After five hours of pursuit, I had to give up. They had more endurance. They encircled me and closed in. Once again, the dark power welled up into me, blinding me to Braise's warning. I used it to blast the Umbreon with fire, but they laughed: they were far stronger than the Sneasel. Realizing there was only one way out, I summoned more power. Everything turned white as I unleashed it and I was suddenly back in Braise's cave. Braise had just been sent flying by the beam of Dark power.​
    "I'm sorry!" I said as she got up, "I was defending myself from a bunch of Umbreon."
    "It's all right. I suppose it's what I deserve for sending you to the Dark World."
    We laughed together and Braise led me back to the main chamber.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Well, it's just that you commented on all the bad stuff and didn't mention anything that was good about it. I started posting this story on another forum, but gave up for lack of feedback, and they loved it, so there must be SOME good things...

Well, you sometimes get that, depending on what forum or archive you go to. Some people will give you all sorts of praise, regardless of whether or not they actually read your story. It happens all the time at FFNet, I've noticed. (Either that, or my readers really don't have enough to say other than "this was cute, please write more.")

Anyway, I'll read through the story, but I'll have to admit I didn't look over Alter Ego's reviews with a lot of depth. (The reason why is because if I want to review something, I don't want anything to skew my observations.) For that reason, if I repeat anything he says, I apologize in advance.

The first few seconds of my life passed like any other Torchic:

Now, one thing I did read from Alter Ego's review was what he had to say about this line. I'll have to agree that it's a bit awkward because seconds really don't pass like Torchic. I understand that English may not be your first language, so for future reference, when you write something, always remember that "like" is a comparison word. Therefore, when you write it, you're placing one word on one side and relating it to the noun on the other side. Therefore, you're essentially relating seconds to Torchic, which really doesn't work because there's no real connection between seconds and Torchic. So, what I would do is add on a little more to the second half of this phrase to explain what of the Torchic can be compared with time. In this case, you'll probably want to say something like "the start of any other Torchic's life." Or, to be less redundant, "any other Torchic's beginnings." Alternatively, you could say, "For the first few seconds of my life, I was just like any other Torchic." In any case (and I highly recommend you play around with it to see what you come up with), you'll want to find a way to make the comparison a little clearer.

Now, it may seem like we're being anal about this, but you have to remember that the first sentence is one of the most important ones in the story. It's the attention grabber. A great first sentence will keep the reader glued to his screen to read on. A terrible first sentence will give the reader the idea that the rest of the story is terrible. So, you'll need to be as careful as possible to avoid giving your readers a false impression.

Anyway.

My mother, Kablam, was standing beside me, and my father, Kervlam,

It's a bit difficult to take a story seriously with a cast of names like that, but I won't question it. It's just a personal taste anyway.

They looked happy, but at the same time, nervous.

Grammar nitpick: Drop the comma after happy. This actually isn't a compound sentence. The way you can tell is by covering up everything up to and including the word "but" and reading the rest of the phrase. See how "at the same time, nervous" isn't an actual sentence?

Something about this sentence feels awkward as it is, though. It feels as if, after the but, you actually wanted to make a full sentence but just didn't. I would advise playing around with it, maybe rephrasing it to show us how they seemed nervous or even who seemed nervous. (Yes, I know there's already a subject in the sentence, but you could always consider making it an actual compound.)

I looked around and saw that we were in a cave.

I know it seems like a nitpick, but you're implying a newborn Torchic actually knew what a cave was at this point. Usually, newborns don't exactly have a great sense of perception. Their world is usually focused to what's immediately around them, which would probably be the Torchic's parents at this point.

Of course, I'm also ignoring the fact that a baby wouldn't remember anything after a couple of years (because of an underdeveloped memory) anyway.

"It cannot be," he said,

Drop the final comma and opt for a period. The reason why is because you're starting a new sentence in the dialogue. The dialogue tag itself ("he said") is only associated with one sentence (as most dialogue tags are), so you'll have to decide between one or the other if you place it between two.

In other words, it's just a new sentence. So, you'll want to put a period after the tag. If that's confusing, please feel free to ask.

I didn't understand what was going on but my instincts told me it was dangerous.

Here is where you need a comma to indicate a compound sentence. Try this: cover the second part of the sentence ("but" onward) with your hand and read the first part aloud. See how it's a sentence? Now, cover up the first part (up to and including "but") and read the second part. See how that's a sentence too? That means you're trying to connect two different sentences into one thought. So, to separate them, you not only need a conjunction (in this case, "but") but also a comma where a period would go in the first sentence.

You do this a few more times in the story, so I won't go over it again. Just keep it in mind.

A few moments passed, then a Pokémon made entirely of gas except for two fangs whooshed into the cavern.

You'll either need an "and" here or a period where the comma is. These are two separate sentences (revealed if you do that trick I just taught you), so leaving it as is will create a run-on sentence.

The two fangs fell to the floor then disappeared.

And disappeared. "Then" is not a conjunction.

As a general side note before I go on, usually, when you have dialogue, you separate it out with spaces between each change of speaker so the reader has an easier time going through it. I've corrected it in the following quote so you can see what I mean.

"We can do this. We must, to save our son," responded Kervlam. He sounded a lot more confident than he looked.

Also, drop the comma after "must." Not sure why that's actually there.

My parents united power to create a fire wall and project it forwards.

While I compliment you for actually providing description, I think you could get away with providing more than you already have. For example, it's cool that they created a fire wall, but you don't really go into how they did so, what it looked like when they did, or how it felt. Even telling us that the Torchic felt the heat of the wall radiating towards it would be enough to pull us a bit more into the story.

Generally, that's one thing that I feel is a bit weak in this fic. You do have description, but you have a tendency to tell us certain things, rather than show us. Instead of showing us how the Torchic knew that his father sounded more confident than he looked, you just say that he was. For this reason, we only really see the basics, but we're not really pulled into the story enough to really visualize what's going on. We just, for example, see a Blaziken who speaks with confidence, but we don't see his hands spasming because he's uncertain, for example, or that he might be slouching to betray a sense of fear. Those details actually say a lot more than just "he sounded a lot more confident than he looked" because we can actually "see" them.

Overall, not a bad start, although because of that one problem of telling versus showing, I feel as if you could definitely do better for a beginning chapter. I'd advise going back and playing around with the description to see what you can come up with.

As for the second chapter...

There was no sign of Kablam or Kervlam anywhere.

Again, it feels as if you're implying that Torchic knew their names. It's odd because in the entirety of the beginning scene, neither of them actually mention their names, yet the Torchic just inherently knows. If this was third person, you could probably get away with it just as long as the Torchic himself doesn't attempt to name his parents (unless he's eccentric). However, with first person, you're limited to only what Kaboom actually knows, and unfortunately, he was never told his parents' names (unless you make note of how he learned them later on).

The only trace to be found was a few red hairs.

Nitpick, but Blaziken are birds. So, most likely, they'd have feathers, not hair.

The sandstorm has calmed a bit,

Had calmed. The reason why I say this is because if you leave it at "has," it makes the reader think it's the past seen from the present, rather than the past seen from the past. In other words, it makes the reader expect the rest of the story to be delivered in present tense.

and when they do, they'll come for you.

Because a newborn Torchic is truly a threat to existence itself…?

Go north, follow the road and you will come to a city.

These are actually two separate sentences. The first is a command, telling Kaboom to go north. The second is both a command and a statement of the direct consequences of that command. In other words, Kaboom's father is telling him that if he does what he's told and follows the road, he'll come to a city.

I set off north just as the sun set, casting colourful lights upon the few clouds in the sky. As beautiful as it was, it did nothing to relieve my sadness. The sandstorm turned into a gentle caress, but the wind blew sand in my face, making headway difficult.

As beautiful as this description is (and I do mean that), I feel as if it's a bit too eloquent for the speaker. While I'm not sure what Kaboom is like as an adult, right now, you're implying that he's making these observations as a newborn. As in, he realizes how beautiful the sunset is before he actually knows what one was. Additionally, you've made the note that he understands what death is, even though he's only a few hours old. Very young children really don't notice these things, especially when it comes to death, because those are understandings that come with experience.

That's one problem with telling a story in first person. You really have to remember who the character is, and if you're telling the story from the perspective of the future looking into the past (i.e. adult recalling his childhood), you're restricted only by what the speaker noticed or knew right then, rather than what the character learned as he went along (which is what third person allows you to do). The story can still work in first person, but you have to really be careful and remember that your speaker is right now a baby. It's not capable of understanding a lot of the things you expect it to understand. (Amusingly enough, this includes the concept of directions, meaning it probably wouldn't know which way to go if it was just told to go north.) Try to think back on your early childhood and consider what you knew right then as opposed to what you know right now.

I also find it odd that you're having a newborn make the trek northward without any food, water, or rest. A baby just wouldn't be able to do that. Now, I know that the games allow you to use a Pokémon to battle right after it hatches, but with fanfiction, you just can't be afraid of having to deviate from the games a little to have your story make sense now and then.

"I'm sorry!" I exclaimed, "I thought you were a pile of sand!"

Where did Torchic learn how to communicate intelligently? I mean, okay, Pokémon can usually communicate through cries, but one would think a newborn wouldn't exactly have an extensive vocabulary past "feed me."

Again, not a bad chapter, but there's room for improvement. While there's less (new) mistakes here, there's also little snags in logic that touch on the basic problems of attempting to deliver a story in first person. I'd suggest really thinking about what you're doing and who your characters are in order to work your way past the problems of your point of view (and, well, dialogue). Otherwise, you're dodging issues that really could make your story a lot more complicated, a bit longer, and possibly a bit more interesting. They might even help you to create a developed character, which Kaboom, so far… really doesn't seem to be. Then again, he doesn't actually do or say much except walk around and say a few lines, so it's hard to tell right now what his personality actually is like.

I didn't have many comments to make after reading chapter three. It was okay. There were a few errors, but many of them were just repeats from whatever was above. Otherwise, there didn't seem to be much action here, so I felt as if it was just a filler chapter to get from point A to point B. The ending could've used a bit more description, however. Possibly a recounting of how Kaboom trekked to the cave, what it looked like, and what about it made him nervous. Even showing us him peering into the darkness would help us get an idea of how he's actually feeling. But that's something I've also sort of mentioned earlier with showing versus telling.

You really can't just change logic for the sake of your story. If you're going to do something like that, you've got to have a very good reason for doing so, and beyond that, you should be explaining it in the story. Even so, when it comes to fiction – any sort of fiction – you're bound by the laws of the real world by default because that's what your reader understands most. Any other changes you make to these laws you'll need to explain because the reader is not telepathic.

As it stands, the reader assumes that Pokémon are animals, and even then, canon makes no effort to prove that Pokémon have better memories than humans. They've made mention of certain Pokémon having higher IQs than humans, but that's just a horse of a different color.

Thirdly, I checked grammar and spacing extremely carefully and don't spot any mistakes.

Get a beta reader, or someone who can objectively read your story over before you post it. As I've mentioned earlier, there's quite a number, some of which you repeat again and again throughout the story. This also helps if your first language isn't English (which I'm assuming it isn't because you say you've lived in France) to avoid problems that don't actually surface to the eyes of someone who isn't a native speaker but smack the face of someone who is. For example: your first sentence of the story. Grammatically, it's technically correct. It just doesn't make sense to someone who's spoken and read English all his life.

Family are the worst people to have going over your writing. The reason why is because they'll always tend to sugarcoat their reviews (i.e. not tell you the blunt and honest truth) because you're related to them. That's why you get a beta instead.

Anyway, with that out of the way, let's get with the next Chapter.

Sure thing, chief. [/bad attempt at introducing the review for the next chapter]

"Who goes there?" boomed a voice.[/quote]

Begin a new paragraph after this sentence. The reason why is because you're essentially starting a new topic. You don't want to imply that Kaboom is speaking, which you sort of do when you have someone say something and then have him act in the same paragraph.

Obviously the Pokémon who had said these words could see me, because it continued in a less aggressive voice,

First off, take the comma after "me" and move it after "obviously." The latter ("obviously") is an introduction word, so it actually needs to be separated from the rest of the sentence. However, "because it continued…" is a dependent clause that doesn't require a comma because it needs to be integrated with the rest of the sentence to show that whatever's after the word "because" is the cause of whatever's before it, if that makes sense.

Or, put simply, don't put a comma before because.

Second, I'm a bit uncertain here. While "continued" can indicate a dialogue tag, I think it would be more effective if you had his speech be put in a new paragraph because this paragraph just talks about what both characters are doing at the same time. I'd suggest playing around with this part as well to see which way you prefer. Either way, you'll need a new paragraph to avoid implying that Kaboom is the one speaking again.

The Pokémon I had seen pursuing the one with the bag earlier stepped out from a pile of rocks,

This is not a dialogue tag. The reason why is because there's nothing in this sentence that tells the reader that the Pokémon is speaking. That is, there is no speaking word (like "said"). So, because it's not a dialogue tag, you'll need to treat it like its own sentence and insert a period there instead of a comma.

"I am Kaboom, the son of Kervlam and Kablem."

Wasn't her name Kablam? O_o

Also, again, Kaboom never actually learned the names of his parents because they never told him what their names actually were. (Or if they did, you never mentioned them.) So, this is essentially like meeting someone for the first time and automatically knowing what his name is.

In other words, again, try not to confuse yourself with the speaker. Your speaker cannot have the knowledge you possess, even if that knowledge contains the names of his parents (unless he found a way to learn who they are).

"I see. And I presume, since you're alone, that they're dead?"

I'm not quite sure what caused her to arrive at this conclusion. There could be several possibilities as to why Kaboom suddenly showed up at Braise's doorstep aside from death, including:

1. He got lost and was told to go there if he couldn't find his way back.
    2. Random visit.
    3. Quest from his parents to ask for advice/obtain an object.
    4. His parents are also in town, and one of the above is also true.

While, okay, none of these possibilities would be logical for a newborn, Braise also doesn't know how old Kaboom actually is, so they still are, on a level, plausible, particularly 4. And, of course, they're not the only possibilities. The only logical reason why Braise would suddenly assume that his parents are dead is if she's heard news prior to this, which you really don't make mention of… which makes this revelation incredibly random.

The reason why there's a problem with this is mostly because it feels as if you're making things a bit convenient for Kaboom. Rather than struggle for the knowledge of his parents and which way to go, he just already knows. Rather than struggle for days on end and arrive at near death, a wandering Hippopotas just happens to be there to give him a ride to the next city. Rather than have Braise spend a bit of time trying to figure out why a newborn Torchic suddenly appeared at her door, she already knows and guesses on the first try. This becomes a problem because you're lessening the conflicts and giving your story a rushed feeling. You just have your character coast from one situation to the next without much of a struggle past the angst of losing a parent and a few hours of walking (in the right direction, no less). Part of the story, however, is just getting to where you have to go, rather than achieving the goal you've set for the story. For example, if you have a story about a girl saving the world, the interesting part isn't the final battle that would decide the fate of the world. It's how she got there – how she found out about her destiny, how she struggled with it, how she trained for it… that sort of thing. So, rather than working towards your goal, try slowing it up a little and adding a bit more situations and struggles that will hinder Kaboom, play on logic, and have him grow into whatever role you're forging for him.

"Oh, yes. I haven't eaten since I hatched yesterday afternoon."

Which means at all.

And again, this seems odd because he's somehow managed to walk for miles without food or water, he's a newborn, and he somehow didn't flop over in starvation or dehydration.

partly because you're too young to cope with it,

Despite the fact that he's apparently old enough to cope with the death of his parents… or understand death at all.

The photo had fourteen Pokémon on it,

I'm assuming, then, that Braise's math doesn't include Kaboom's parents.

Again, not bad. You run into the difficulties, though, of your intentions as the author versus what needs to be done for the story, as I've said before with your problems with the first person point of view combined with just making things convenient. My advice would be to sit down and really work on drawing things out to be a bit longer while at the same time adding more content and taking your time to get from point A to point B.

Time for the next part - I'm renaming them as Scenes seeing as they are too short to be called Chapters.

There actually is such a thing as a short chapter. For example, look up Obsession by Blackjack Palazzo (available on Bulbagarden). Her chapters are incredibly short (not much more than a page in length), but the difference is the fact that she includes a ton of content in that small amount of space. When it comes to chapters, it's quality over quantity, really.

A few moments later, red beams of energy swirled in from all directions and condensed into a Braise-shape, but entirely made of flames.[/quote]

First off, I'm not sure why you hyphenated "Braise shape." It's not really one adjective. "Braise" is just the adjective that modifies the noun – "shape." In other words, it's not necessary.

Second off, neither is the comma after "shape," but I've covered the difference between what is and isn't a compound sentence already.

Just, look after yourself

Not sure why there's a comma here either. O_o "Just" isn't an introduction word. It's part of the actual command.

It rose into me, guided me

Move the comma after "guided me" and insert "and" where it once was. Otherwise, it sounds fairly awkward and choppy as it is, particularly because the reader is expecting the part after the existing "and" (that is, "I breathed powerful fire") to be another item in the list. That is, they expect that clause to be another verb + "me" formula, as seen with "rose into me" and "guided me." The conjunction "and" placed between these two items make it clear that these two are only related to each other and not to the clause beyond the comma + and combination (which would form a compound sentence).

I hope that's clear enough. If not, feel free to ask me to clarify.

I was defenceless as before.

This phrase is a bit awkward as it stands. (Read it aloud to get an idea of what I mean.) I would suggest either inserting "as" just after "was" (so that the phrase reads, "I was as defenseless as before") or replacing the "as" that's already there with "just like I was" to make it clear that you're referring to his state of being before something.

Also, yeah, try not to end a sentence with just "before." Before what?

We laughed together and Braise led me back to the main chamber.

Somehow, I think defying a warning, using an evil power that has the risk of turning someone into the pawn of darkness, and blasting your caretaker with it (even by accident) wouldn't exactly cause someone to laugh, even if all is forgiven.

Overall, again, it's not the worst I've read, but there's still room for improvement. Your concepts are good, and your description in places where you actually sit down to describe something are beautiful. However, you just don't describe enough in other places, and you often allow yourself to slip into bad author's tendencies (concerning telling instead of showing, forgetting who your speaker is, and attempting to force your story from point A to point B). A lot of these problems are just solved with more practice and experience. Ergo, I recommend you really take the time to stop and really think about what you're writing. Eventually, if you keep doing that, you'll allow yourself to let your story veer off course once in awhile (making it less likely that you'll create situations of convenience or a rushed or linear-feeling storyline), your characters to think as they would logically (to avoid newborns who are just too knowledgeable in the world), and the other problems I've touched upon above.

So, in other words, it wasn't exactly bad, but you just need to work a bit harder on things.

And yes. Get a beta.

If there's anything that you're confused about or would just like to discuss, feel free to tear apart my review. I can come back to respond if you'd like.​

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Are you volunteering?

If you wish to allow me to be your beta, sure. As a warning, though, schoolwork usually takes priority over fanwork, so I might not be as available during the year. If that's no problem to you, then I'd be happy to help you. If you'd rather go with someone a bit more reliable, it doesn't hurt to ask around.

Kaboom

Twilight Blaziken
    Years
    Well, Jax, I PMed Scene 6 to you but have no response, and I can't keep waiting any longer, so here it comes.

Scene 6: Skarmory

When we arrived in the main chamber, we sat once more.
    "I must say, you've impressed me, Kaboom." said Braise. "You are the only Pokémon ever to have been to the Dark World for six hours and returned unconsumed by the Darkness, and that was with Sneasel and Umbreon chasing you. And yet, you are only a day old. Your parents' power flows through you. That much is clear. I daresay you'll end up the new Hero of Fire and leader of our group! But first, we must find out about the current state of affairs in other towns. I sent Skarmory, our spy, to check it out. She should be back soon."

We waited a while, and then the sky flashed black, like the opposite of a lightning bolt. A Pokémon screamed. This Pokémon shot through the entrance to the cave in a blur of silver and smashed into the back wall. The dust cleared to reveal an squashed iron-clad bird.
    "Ow," it said.
    "Are you all right, Skarmory?" asked Braise.
    "Of course I am - NOT! I was hit by a Dark Thunder attack. I think I dented my wing... It hurts."
    "Let me take care of that."
    Braise released a gentle stream of fire from her mouth. It softened Skarmory's top metal wing blade as she eased it back to its proper shape. Skarmory got up and ruffled her wing.
    "It hurts a lot, but I'll survive. Thanks."
    "Never mind that. Tell us what you discovered."
    "Yes. Right. Let's see. The group has more or less disbanded after the loss of our leaders. They are continuing activity in their own city, but the bonds between them are weak or nonexistant."
    "Hmm... Right. I need to think this over. Kaboom, you can find somewhere to sleep down there." She indicated the tunnel. "Just turn left at every opportunity. Skarmory, you should rest too. See you tomorrow."

Skarmory and I entered the room we had been told of. I lay down, but Skarmory remained standing. She eyed me with interest.
    "So," she said. "You're the son of Kervlam and Kablam, are you?"
    "Yes, I am."
    "They were formidable Blaziken. I suppose you don't know much about them. They once becalmed the rage of Kyogre, you know."
    "What's a Kyogre?"
    "Kyogre, according to legend, was the Pokémon who created the sea. It rules over it and controls it. Its enemy, Groudon, created the earth and the continents. They battled like... like... well, like Zangoose and Seviper, you know? They saw each other and attacked a second later.
    "Anyway, Groudon and Kyogre took to sleep after a particularly fierce battle many centuries ago to regain strength. A decade ago, Kyogre awoke and was enraged to see the land, so it summoned enormous rain clouds and attempted to flood the planet. Your parents, though weak against the Water type, battled Kyogre, and after a tremendous battle their combined power ultimately restrained the legendary beast."
    "What became of Kyogre?"
    "It requested peace. It acknowledged the presence of land and swore to never again attempt to flood it. It is rumoured that Kyogre even formed friendship with your parents, and carried them to Crindo, among other places, over the sea."
    "Wow! That's fantastic! What else did they do?"

Skarmory recounted how my parents had vanquished a human who was attempting to summon the legendary Pokémon of space and time to remake the world. She told how they were considered gods by humans and Pokémon alike, such was their power.

"And... how did they die? I mean, they were so powerful..."
    "Well, I don't know the whole story. It was something along the lines of trickery and deceit, for the most part from the Great Evil itself. They scarecely survived an ambush, Kablam carrying you as an egg. They fled into the desert, and presumably their actions were predicted. Fortunately for you, the squad that had been sent in did not know of you, otherwise we wouldn't be talking now."

We remained silent for a moment, and then Skarmory said, "All this talking's made me tired. I think we should sleep now. See you tomorrow." She then fell asleep while remaining standing up. I went to sleep too.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Dude, you PMed me two days ago. It takes time to go through a beta. Give me at least a few days to get back to you. =/

That said, this is what I would've sent you because I actually finished it last night (but didn't have time to send it out).

Sorry for the delay.

Anyway, my corrections are in bold and red text (and if you need explanations, just ask), while my comments are just in bold. As a general side note, I've done an example of what people mean by put spaces between each speaker/paragraph so you can clearly see what's up. Generally, to make it easier on the reader, you just hit the enter key twice between every paragraph, including dialogue. That way, they can go through the exchange without tripping up on who's saying what (especially if and when you stop using dialogue tags).

When we arrived in the main chamber, we sat once more.

"I must say, you've impressed me, Kaboom," said Braise. (Again, this is the end of the full sentence, so you'll need a period. If you need to see what happens if you leave it as a comma, then take out the "said Braise" and the quotation marks around the whole thing. See how it turns into a run-on? You definitely don't want that.) "You are the only Pokémon ever to have been to the Dark World for six hours and returned unconsumed by the Darkness, and that was with Sneasel and Umbreon chasing you. Yet, (Introduction word, so it needs a comma.) you are only a day old. Your parents' power flows through you. That much is clear. I daresay you'll end up leader of our group! But first, we must find out about the current state of affairs in other towns. I sent Skarmory to check it out. She should be back soon."

We waited a while, and then the sky flashed black, like the opposite of a lightning bolt. A Pokémon screamed. This Pokémon shot through the entrance to the cave in a blur of silver and smashed into the back wall. The dust cleared to reveal an iron-clad bird squashed against the wall. (Because you've already established that Skarmory had crashed against the back wall, you actually don't need to say it again. Maybe play with this awhile, although one way to do it could be to say, "The dust cleared to reveal a squashed, iron-clad bird.")

"Ow," it said.

"Are you all right, Skarmory?" asked Braise.

"Of course I am - NOT! I was hit by a Dark Thunder attack. I think I dented my wing... It hurts."

"Let me take care of that."

Braise released a gentle stream of fire from her mouth. It softened Skarmory's top metal wing blade as she eased it back to its proper shape. Skarmory got up and ruffled her wing. (Considering a Steel-type's weakness to fire, I'm a little uncomfortable with this image. One would think that it'd be akin to sticking a burn patient's hand onto a candle flame.)

"It hurts a lot, but I'll survive. Thanks."

"Never mind thanks. (The sentence in general seems a bit awkward. Maybe replace "thanks" with "that"? Also, this would end up being a run-on if you don't separate it into two sentences.) Tell us what you discovered."

"Yes. Right. Let's see. The group has more or less disbanded after the loss of our leaders. They are continuing activity in their own city, but the bonds between them are weak or nonexistent (Be careful. Running this through spell check will clear some errors like that.)."

"Hmm... Right. I need to think this over. Kaboom, you can find somewhere to sleep down there." She indicated the tunnel. (This is not a dialogue tag, so you actually can't attach it to the dialogue with commas. In other words, it's its own separate sentence. You can tell by the lack of a word that would indicate speech, such as "said" or "asked.") "Just turn left at every opportunity. Skarmory, you should rest too. See you tomorrow."

Skarmory and I entered the room we had been told of. I lay down, but Skarmory remained standing. She eyed me with interest.

"So," she said, "You're the son of Kervlam and Kablam, are you?"

"Yes, I am."

"They were formidable Blaziken. I suppose you don't know much about them. They once becalmed the rage of Kyogre, you know."

"What's a Kyogre?"

"Kyogre, according to legend, was the Pokémon who created the sea. It rules over it and controls it. Its (It's = it is. Its = possessive pronoun. A lot of people mix them up, but you can remember which one is which by remembering that no pronoun gets an apostrophe when it turns into a possessive.) enemy, Groudon, created the earth and the continents. They battled like... like... well, like Zangoose and Seviper, you know? They saw each other and attacked a second later. (Because Skarmory is describing Kyogre and Groudon in the past tense, even up to the Zangoose and Seviper analogy, it would only make sense if she did the same for the last sentence of this paragraph.)

"Anyway, Groudon and Kyogre took to sleep after a particularly fierce battle many centuries ago to regain strength. (I took out the commas here because there's really no reason for them to be there. Neither clause really needs a comma to separate it from the rest of the sentence.) About a decade ago, Kyogre awoke and was enraged to see the land, so it summoned enormous rain clouds and attempted to flood the planet. Your parents, though weak against the Water type, battled Kyogre, (This is a compound sentence, so it actually needs a comma to separate one independent clause from the next. Remember to try doing the trick I told you about in my review to see where you should insert a comma.) and their combined power restrained the legendary beast."

"What became of Kyogre?"

"It requested peace. It acknowledged the presence of land and swore to never again attempt to flood it. (So quickly? That seems… odd. I mean, it just calmed after a murderous, godly rage that wanted to destroy any sign of its rival, which means it essentially is surrendering to Groudon, which in turn seems to go against the natural hatred it's described as having above. I'm also a bit uncomfortable with the idea that a pair of Blaziken held their own against a Water-type several times bigger than either of them, with godly power under its belt as a legendary and the rain to weaken any Fire attack it had. I'd suggest trying to go for something a bit more plausible, rather than attempt to make a pair of Blaziken seem godly themselves. I realize that that's part of the point, but it just seems a bit over-the-top for a pair of Fire-types to succeed on their own against a Kyogre.) It is rumoured that Kyogre even formed friendship with your parents, and carried them to the island of Crindo, among other places, across the sea."

"Wow! That's fantastic! What else did they do?"

Skarmory recounted how my parents had vanquished a human who was attempting to summon the legendary Pokémon of space and time to remake the world. She told how they were considered gods by humans and Pokémon alike, such was their power.

"And... how did they die? I mean, they were so powerful..."

"Well, I don't know the whole story. It was something along the lines of trickery and deceit, for the most part from the Great Evil itself. They scarcely survived an ambush, Kablam carrying you as an egg. They fled into the desert, and presumably their actions were predicted. Fortunately for you, the squad that had been sent in did not know of you, otherwise we wouldn't be talking now." (It seems a little odd that Skarmory would know all this, considering the fact that she wasn't there. Is Skarmory a general spy, or are you trying to say she's not exactly the most trustworthy character?)

We remained silent for a moment, and then ("Then" is not a conjunction, so you really can't use it to connect two independent clauses.) Skarmory said, "All this talking's made me tired. I think we should sleep now. See you tomorrow."

She then fell asleep while (While it's technically being used correctly, it's just awkward to use an archaic version of a word when the rest of the text uses modern English.) remaining standing up. I went to sleep too.

Review add-on: Overall, it's not the best chapter I've read so far. A lot of the problem seems to be that you're trying to pull off a lot of things for convenience. For example, you've made Kyogre just give up on its drive to annihilate land because you may not have wanted to actually explain it. Part of the fun of writing a story, as I've said before, is just the explanation. You really have to sit down and make some challenges for your characters to work through.

As it stands, I almost want to say that Kaboom's parents are a bit Sueish, which isn't entirely a good thing but isn't necessarily something you can't at all fix. As I've said above, the entire situation with both Blaziken fighting off a legendary Water-type Pokemon (an ancient one, at that) just seems a bit farfetched. However, there are ways to rework that so that it's a bit more plausible. I won't say anything more, but I'll encourage you to play with ideas and draw out their backstory a bit more. You have the potential for making those two characters interesting, but you'll have to remember that a legend isn't always about godly heroes saving the day. Even mythological heroes have had dangerous faults or obstacles that sometimes nearly led to their own destructions.

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Utah
    • Seen Nov 7, 2011
    Well, Jax, I PMed Scene 6 to you but have no response, and I can't keep waiting any longer, so here it comes.

Good Lord94, if Jax is being so kind as to take this fic and Beta it, take that chance and learn from her. If you want a beta, you have to be prepared to make some minor sacrifices, such as, y'know, waiting a few more days before posting it. I have a beta, and if she wants to take a month betaing my fic because of college and school, I'm going to let her. Granted, I wouldn't blame you for posting a chapter if you hadn't heard word from your Beta for quite some space of time (and no, two days =/= a long time) regarding your fic, then you have all right to post it. In fact, while Jax is betaing, spend some time working on longer chapters. I don't usually say this, but your chapters are way too short to be called "chapters' on the forums. I would have either extended the scenes (good idea) and/or combined other chapters with previous ones (also a good idea).

Alter Ego said:
    In the games, Snorlax can fly and little Togepis explode, all at the wag of a finger. (Also known as Metronome).

Off-topic, but I'm rather fond of those exploding Togepis. It makes me smile in an awfully morbid way.

Alter Ego said:
    In the games, you can ride a newborn Horsea across oceans and fly across the region on the back of a Pidgey without either even getting tired.

I also feel like adding that, in the games, you can ride on the back of the Pidgey without literally squishing it within ten seconds or less. That's nonsense and wouldn't work in reality. It's like riding a domestic cat in the real world. Unless you happen to be as small as your favorite tooth fairy, it ain't gonna happen.

And by 'spacing twice', the people mean to double space between paragraphs and dialogue lines. In other words, when you space to make a new paragraph, double space. It makes it easier on the eyes. 'tis proper forum formatting. Unless, of course, you want to go with indenting, but that's a very long and arduous hassle that so isn't worth it.

For instance:

"We can do this. We must to save our son," responded Kervlam. He sounded a lot more confident than his shaking hands suggested.

Becomes:

Looks a lot nicer, yes? And if you're a French guy who doesn't know English well, then I can understand some of your difficulties, but 'd really suggest keeping Jax's beta and doing some research: as in, reading some other fics around here to see how things are done.

The first few seconds of my life passed like those of any other Torchic: I hatched from an egg.

I'd expect so, yes.

My mother, Kablam, was standing beside me, and my father, Kervlam, was beside her. They looked happy but, at the same time, nervous. I looked around and saw that we were in a cave. Outside was a desert land, where a sandstorm was raging.

I would have to concur with another poster and say the names do make it hard to take the character's seriously. And if I've gotten the time line right, little Kaboom! has just been born. So I'd be simplifying the little tyke's language. Obviously, if you're going to portray a newly born character, you're probably going to have to use some wording that technically he wouldn't "Know" the name of to describe, but you should still try and convey the fact Torchic here was just born as is probably wondering what everything is.

In fact, I would hazard to say the Torchic is probably paying attention to what is happening around him and how they are acting instead of saying "They're nervous" or "angry". As right now, Kaboom probably doesn't know what emotion to stick to what at the moment.

example said:
    "How did they find us?" my father's voice rose sharply, the sound was grating to my ears. I shrunk back, cowering at the sound of his voice. It wasn't the same voice that they used when I was first born - those voices had been low and comforting, this one was not. It made my feathers stand on end.

Heck, Kaboom probably doesn't even understand what his parents are saying . As babies, we don't really understand what are parents are saying verbatim for quite some time. The cues from their voices help us understand certain things. A sharp, yelling voice would probably make us cry, while a soft one would probably calm us. There's a reason why parents don't yell lullabies.

Somehow, I don't think that'd be all that the parents would say to each other if they think they're going to die Right now, I'm not even sad his parents are most likely going to kick it. You could have spent some more time helping us getting to know Kablam and Kervlam. Make us care about the characters.

I'd say you need to work a bit on your diction and such, and keep in mind what is realistic. Go watch a few movies. Take The Lion King, for instance. Did Mufasa die in the first five minutes of the movie? No. We were shown scenes in which he bonded with Simba to make us care about him. Granted, yes, you could likely kill the parents off in the first five minutes if you wanted to, and still make it awesome, but you need to go about it differently if so. You need to make the attack more vivid and ruthless. You'll need to focus more on Kaboom and perhaps the sudden terror (perhaps) and confusion (guaranteed) he felt during the attack. The poor thing has just hatched and now he's faced by some huge, life changing event.

What are those things? he'd think. What are those noises? They're loud, and I don't like them. What is that hot light around my mom and dad's wrists? Why are the other beings making that loud, awful noise? What should I do? I don't understand.

Meh. Anyways, not to say this fic is bad, per se. You just need to work on it a bit more. You'll get better and better. No one's perfect. Everybody's a beginner at one point, and we have to learn from writing the beginning stories first before our later (and arguably better) ones. Take whatever good advice you can get and grow from it. Learning to write is essentially like learning a language. Except this way, you're learning to master said language and spin it into something that can convey ideas, thoughts, and feelings to others, if that makes sense. It's not easy, but it's worth it. Good luck, and keep going. I'm eager to see future developments.

Last edited:

Kaboom

Twilight Blaziken
    Years
    Okay, Scene 7. Thanks to Jax for the editing.

Scene 7: The Mission

When I awoke, I saw that Skarmory had already returned to the upper levels, so I followed. She and Braise were chatting as I entered the main room. Braise turned to me.
    "Good morning, Kaboom," she said. "I hope you slept well?"
    "Yes, thank you. You?"
    "Not too bad. Anyway, I was just telling Skarmory what I have decided: we need to reform the group. However, Skarmory cannot fly for a long time while her wing recovers, and I'm needed here. That kind of leaves you alone to do it, despite your age."
    "Me?"
    "Yes. Only you can do this. Your first destination is a little ways down the north road, Route 801. You should go after breakfast. Of course, you are powerless in the real world, but fortunately it's only an hour's walk there. I cannot train you, but the next town has a dojo where you can learn the basics of battling. Now, let's have breakfast."

After breakfast, I began the journey out of Janucity, followed by the gazes of Braise and Skarmory, high up at the top of the hill.

Barely ten seconds after leaving the town, a Pokémon ran straight into my back: THUD!
    "What the..." he said, "Oh, I'm so sorry! I didn't see you. Who are you?"
    "I'm Torchic," I replied, once again maintaining anonymity: Dark spies could have been hiding anywhere.
    "Right. I'm Treecko. Are you going to the next town?"
    "Yup. You?"
    "Yeah, I need to train at this 'dojo' I've been told about. Do you mind if we go together?"
    "No, not at all."
    "Thanks. So, where are you from?"
    "The Desert, down south."
    "I see. I was born in Janucity, but my parents came from the Forest of Time. Apparently, it's the place where nature is more beautiful than anywhere else. I intend to go there, but I'm only a few weeks old. What are you planning?"
    "I'm going to the dojo, too. I'm a day and a half old, and I need to learn how to battle."
    "OK. Shall we go?"
    We walked on together. The trip was uneventful, except at one point I thought I saw a fleeting movement in the sky, but there was nothing there a moment later.

Back