• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] The Story of Kai

Years
    Prologue
    My name is Kai, Kai Alexander-Oak to be exact. The fact is; I prefer to introduce myself as Kai Alexander. I realised early on that the added pressure of being part of the Oak legacy while trying to master being a Pokémon trainer would be too much.

Many people tell me I look exactly like my grandfather from Pallet. I've seen picture of him when he was young, albeit they weren't in the best condition, and I guess aside from the fact that I have short spike brown hair we do look alike.

Unlike my older and very successful cousin Gary, who began his journey at ten, a new law implemented by all regions made to compulsory to attend trainer school for five years before starting out a Pokémon journey.

So instead of being allowed to run off into the world armed with a powerful Pokémon at the tender age of ten, I was shipped away to a Pokémon preparatory academy. Just like any geeky pre-teen boy I fell for the first pretty girl who smiled at me. Ariel Westwood, after a shaky start where she completely shut me down, we eventually became good friends over our five year stint at the Pokémon academy.

With her by my side five years just seem to fly by and now I was ready to begin my own quest to make a name for myself.

Chapter 1

The rising suns glow streaked its way through petite gaps in the blinds made by the eager pacing of a teenage boy. Kai couldn't believe the day he had been waiting for had finally arrived. From the crack of dawn he was busy ensuring that everything was prepared. With his bag filled with supplies and strapped it onto his shoulder, he bolted out of his room and in the kitchen. Not wasting anytime he kissed his mum on the cheek and said goodbye before running out the front door.

"Don't you want any breakfast?" she yelled from the kitchen. She smiled staring out the doorway watching her son begin his journey.

Petalburg City seemed quiet and sleepy at this early hour. The soothing silence only disturbed by the footsteps of a boy. Kai took a deep breath of the fresh morning air as he made his way into the Pokémon centre. The silver doors slid open as he approached.

Standing at the doorway he stared across the centre floor. Kai felt his palms suddenly get sweaty. Ariel was there, she was receiving a Pokémon from Nurse Joy.

"Ariel?" Kai asked tentatively as he steadily made his way to the nurses' station.

"Kai!" she yelled with excitement back at him as she spun around and hugged him. Kai stood there with her arms around him and his arms flailing.

She broke her grip and stared up at him a bit confused.

"Is that how you great your best friend?" she asked poking his chest.

"Last time we spoke you said I should take a long walk of a short pier in to an ocean filled with Gyarados and then you threw a glass of water in my face." Kai responded as he side stepped around Ariel.

"You're never going to let that go, are you?" she replied, this time with her head hung and her voice cheerless.

"Why should I? If I remember correctly; the reason we had that stupid fight was because you didn't want to believe me when I told you your boyfriend wasn't who he said he was."

An intense silence began to develop as Nurse Joy did her best to try and smile while the two teenagers spoke.

"We only have one Pokémon left. The fire Pokémon Torchic." Nurse Joy interjected attempting to end the uneasy silence.

"That's great!" Kai exclaimed. "Torchic is the one I wanted." Kai collected his pokeballs and pokedex from Nurse Joy and turned to leave.

Looking intently at his new pokeball he walked towards the door prepared to leave when he heard something that made him stop.

"You were right." Ariel explained. "He was a jerk. He was always lying, you were always right. I'm sorry, I've been sorry for the last 6 months. That's why I'm here, for Pete's sake I live in Dewford Town."

No reply came from Kai who just continued to walk out the door. The chime sound of the doors closing caused Ariel to turn to Nurse Joy. Nurse Joy stood there confused; in front of her was this teenage girl about to cry.

"There, there, your Mudkip will be your new best friend." Joy said as she awkwardly tried to pat Ariel's back.

This only seemed to make things worse as Ariel was evening closer to tears now. The chime of the doors sliding open caught Ariel's attention. She turned around as quickly as she could only to have water splashed in her face.

"Now we're even." Kai said as he gave Ariel a proper hug.

"Does this mean..." Ariel said before pausing with a big smile on her face.

"Well, I don't think we can go back to being best friends as yet so we'll start off as travelling buddies and see how it goes." Kai said with a smile as he led Ariel towards the door.

"I'll take anything. You'll never guess what I go. Go on guess, come on guess. I got..."

"A Mudkip." Kai interjected as the two left the Pokémon centre.

"I'll never understand people." Nurse Joy said to her Chansey, scratching her head.

Back