• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Stuck In the Middle Challenge

phonastik

Strange Quark
Years
  • Awright.

As its name suggests, this is a challenge where you can only use middle stage Pokemon, that is, Pokemon which have evolved once and have the possibility to evolve again.

THE RULES:
    • Only middle-stage Pokemon are allowed
    • Pokemon which are not a middle stage in the generation you are playing are NOT allowed. So Magmar would be allowed after Gen IV, but not before.
    • If none of your Pokemon are available before the first gym, then you may hack them in or trade an egg.
    • Feel free to use HM Slaves. They don't have to be middle stages.
    • Using more than 2 Pokemon is recommended, otherwise this is pretty much a solo/duo challenge, but is not compulsory.
    • No hacking Everstones. However, any you find are allowed. Let the Geodude hunting begin!
    • Pokemon which evolve by trading or using a stone are allowed.
    • The challenge ends in RBY when you defeat the champion, in GSC when you defeat Red, in RSE when you defeat the champion (Wallace in Emerald, not Steven), in FRLG when you defeat the Elite Four round 2, in DPPt when you defeat the champion and in BW when you defeat Alder.

My signup:
    Name: Phon
    Game: FireRed
    Team:Gloom, Graveler, Poliwhirl, Machoke, Charmeleon, Pidgeotto
    Ultimate: No

Challengers
    Spoiler:

Champions
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Colourful

Lolcat-Trainer, srsly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2016
    Hey, looks like a great challenge! :D
    I have one question however: if I play on FireRed, can I use Pikachu? I know that Pichu was not there yet in the first generation, but still it is obtainable in FireRed. Or is that what you are saying in Rule 3...?
    Also I think you might want to check your team there if you don't plan on trading, since you can't catch Weepinbell in FireRed ;-)

The Doctor

What!?
    Years
  • Hey, looks like a great challenge! :D
    I have one question however: if I play on FireRed, can I use Pikachu? I know that Pichu was not there yet in the first generation, but still it is obtainable in FireRed. Or is that what you are saying in Rule 3...?

I think he means you have to start off with Pichu then evolve it, not just get a Pikachu

Colourful

Lolcat-Trainer, srsly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2016

I think he means you have to start off with Pichu then evolve it, not just get a Pikachu

Hm, I don't know. That doesn't work with phonastik completely forbidding pokemon like Jigglypuff or Clefairy, does it?

phonastik

Strange Quark
    Years
  • I've been doing some thinking and I've decided to get rid of that rule. Pikachu is fine. And thanks for telling me about Weepinbell lol. Must have slipped my mind :).

Colourful

Lolcat-Trainer, srsly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2016
    I've been doing some thinking and I've decided to get rid of that rule. Pikachu is fine.
    Okey dokey! :D

And thanks for telling me about Weepinbell lol. Must have slipped my mind :).
    You are so freaking stupid most welcome mate! ;)

Allright then, now that I've understood the rules, here's my signup:

Name: Church (You know, referring to how mad the Church was at Darwin when he first published his theory on Evolution. And in this challenge we're all gonna be like 'EVOLVING YA AINT!' to our Pokèmon :bandit:)
    Game: FireRed
    Team: Ivysaur, Haunter, Pikachu, Nidorino, Dragonair
    (With this team I'll only need one Everstone for Ivysaur until my Dragonair reaches Lvl. 55, which will probably take some time :D)
    Ultimate: We'll see...

Last edited:

Colourful

Lolcat-Trainer, srsly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2016
    Update #1

Ok, let's get updates going in this thread :D

Update #1
    Spoiler:

My Team:

LVL. 20
    - Thundershock
    - Quick Attack
    - Double Team
    - Mega Punch

LVL. 23
    - Leech Seed
    - Razor Leaf
    - Poison Powder
    - Tackle

LVL. 21
    - Double Kick
    - Poison Sting
    - Peck
    - Focus Energy

Ok that's it for now :cool:

phonastik

Strange Quark
    Years
  • Update #1
    Spoiler:

The Team:
    :t005: Level 18
    -Scratch
    -Growl
    -Ember
    -Metal Claw

:t017: Level 18
    -Tackle
    -Sand Attack
    -Gust
    -Quick Attack

:t074: Level 17
    -Tackle
    -Defense Curl
    -Magnitude
    -Rock Throw

Years
  • Name: Victor
    Game: Ruby
    Team: Grovyle, Vigoroth, Kadabra, Seadra, Vibrava
    Ultimate: No, probably not

Looking forward to start this challenge!
    Always had a soft spot for middle evulotions :)

Last edited:

phonastik

Strange Quark
    Years
  • Welcome to the challenge, viccuh!

Update #2
    Spoiler:

The team:
    :t066: Level 19
    :t017: Level 26
    :t075: Level 27
    :t044: Level 28
    :t005: Level 27
    HM Slave:
    :t052: Level 12

Years
  • Update #1

Spoiler:

My team:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Final update

Finally finished the challenge

The gyms didn't pose much of a challenge, mainly because they didn't had evolved forms themselves and the type matchups were always in my favor at the end (Grovyle against the water gym, Seadra's surf against Solrock/Lunatone).

It became a lot more difficult in the elite four and I failed a couple of times before I realised I had to do a LOT of grinding. This resulted in my pokemon being around lvl. 60 before I could finally beat them.

The Dark type member was defeated mainly by a combination of pokemon.
    Pure darks were defeated by Focus punch, grass types by Fly and Ice beam and Sharpedo by Leaf blade.
    The Ghost type member was quite easily defeated by Seadra using Surf.
    The Ice type member was really hard, but by learning Vigoroth Thunderbolt and Focus punch destroyed her eventually.
    The Dragon type member was the easiest by far, all OHKO'd by Seadra's Ice beam.
    Steven was really hard... Skarmory was defeated by Shock wave, Cradily by psychic (eventually...), Aggron, Armaldo and Claydol were easy because of Seadra. Metagross was defeated by a combination of Surf attacks and Earthquakes.

This challenge took a lot more time than I had expected, mainly because I had underrated the power of evolved pokemon...

My team:

Spoiler:

The proof:
    Spoiler:

Back