• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The United States 2010 Mid-Term Elections

Years
  • Major Legislation Passed by the 111th United States Congress:

Well this has certainly been one of the most active sessions of the US Congress in recent legislative history, and considering that the Democratic Majorities are smaller than the Johnson Era legislation has been lumped together like Block Grants. xD

Voting straight Democratic Party line in my first election this November. Just because a Green or third party vote will split the vote in my 36th Blue Dog Democratic District of California in this heavily partisan year.

My California Vote:

Gubernatorial Race: Jerry Brown (D)
    Senatorial Race: Barbara Boxer (D)
    Representative: Jane Harman (D)

Well, just for that you guys will know my position on major issues.

It's just sad that I even thought of voting straight party line, I used to think of this as a folly as far back as 2006, but the alternatives are not good as the Tea Party essentially has control of the Republicans ATM. Plus the need for supermajorities.... :/

Anyways my votes on the California Propositions:

19 (Yes) - Changes California law to legalize marijuana and allow it to be regulated and taxed.
    20 (Yes) - Redistricting of congressional districts.
    21 (Yes) - Establishes $18 annual vehicle license surcharge to help fund state parks and wildlife programs and grants free admission to all state parks to surcharged vehicles.
    22 (Yes) - Prohibits the state from taking funds used for transportation or local government projects and services.
    23 (OH HECK NO) - Repeals AB 32 until unemployment is below 5.5% for four quarters
    24 (Yes) - Repeals recent legislation (tax breaks) that would allow businesses to carry back losses, share tax credits, and use a sales-based income calculation to lower taxable income.
    25 (Heck YES) - Changes legislative vote requirement to pass a budget from two-thirds to a simple majority. The two-thirds majority for passing taxes would not change.
    26 (No) - Increases legislative vote requirement to two-thirds for state levies and charges. Imposes additional requirement for voters to approve local levies and charges with limited exceptions.
    27 (No) - Repeals state legislature redistricting law

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Well sadly I'm to young to vote but I have been paying attention to the election like any other like I have always had since I was in 7th grade...and I'm glad that the balance of power is returning I don't think any party should have super majorities though I am glad that the republicans look like they will win big this year :)

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I just voted. I vote-by-mail and voted early.

Here's my California Vote:

Governor: Meg Whitman (R)
    U.S. Senator: Carly Fiorina (R)
    15th U.S. Congressional District: Scott Kirkland (R)

Statewide Propositions:
    19 (Yes) - Changes California law to legalize marijuana and allow it to be regulated and taxed.
    20 (Yes) - Redistricting of congressional districts.
    21 (No) - Establishes $18 annual vehicle license surcharge to help fund state parks and wildlife programs and grants free admission to all state parks to surcharged vehicles.
    22 (Yes) - Prohibits the state from taking funds used for transportation or local government projects and services.
    23 (Yes) - Repeals AB 32 until unemployment is below 5.5% for four quarters
    24 (No) - Repeals recent legislation (tax breaks) that would allow businesses to carry back losses, share tax credits, and use a sales-based income calculation to lower taxable income.
    25 (No) - Changes legislative vote requirement to pass a budget from two-thirds to a simple majority. The two-thirds majority for passing taxes would not change.
    26 (Yes) - Increases legislative vote requirement to two-thirds for state levies and charges. Imposes additional requirement for voters to approve local levies and charges with limited exceptions.
    27 (No) - Repeals state legislature redistricting law

Years
  • Well I registered to vote by mail. But for some reason my Voter Registration card hasn't come in yet. But since I'll be a pollworker this Election day, I'll just probably use my Drivers License for ID. :3

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
  • What's so bad about Preposition 23? It sounds good. But I don't know what exactly it's repealing so someone explaining it to me would be very much appreciated ^_^

I am not in California, and I am not eligable to vote (BUT I WILL BE DURING THE NEXT PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION! :D)

All I know is..vote YES on proposition 19! :D

Garouga! Bare Your Fangs!

Throw your fangs up!
    Years
  • I'll be eligible to vote quite soon, but there's a problem: I'm a democrat in South Carolina (it's like being a sheep at a wolf convention). There is no democratic hope in South Carolina, although the Republican party is waning for two reasons:

1: Mark Sanford. XD

2: The Tea Party movement. When a third party is created from a branch of a main party, said main party is weakened proportionally to how well the third party does. The Tea Party movement is especially strong around here, so Republicans are pretty much divided. This would bode well for Democrats if there was a hardcore Tea Party candidate to capitalize on the split votes, but any hope of that was eliminated a while back.

Other than that, no one does anything to promote any other articles that may come up mainly because the race to replace Sanford as governor is so heated. I may just wing it at the polls 'cause local businesses are promoting the election by offering free stuff. Nothing says I Voted like free coffee and a chicken biscuit.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Well I registered to vote by mail. But for some reason my Voter Registration card hasn't come in yet. But since I'll be a pollworker this Election day, I'll just probably use my Drivers License for ID. :3

I'm temporarily not living in the county I vote in because I go to college away from home, but still claim permanent residence in my home county, so I'm now voting by mail from my college. I always used to physically go to the polls before this elections.

What's so bad about Preposition 23? It sounds good. But I don't know what exactly it's repealing so someone explaining it to me would be very much appreciated ^_^

I am not in California, and I am not eligable to vote (BUT I WILL BE DURING THE NEXT PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION! :D)

All I know is..vote YES on proposition 19! :D

Prop 23, if passed, will suspend a law called the Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006 until unemployment drops or 5.5% of lower.

Proponents believe that the law has caused individual family's energy costs for electricity, natural gas, and gasoline to go up. They also claim that, "Other countries that passed global warming laws experienced a loss of two blue collar jobs for every one green job created."

Opponents of Prop 23 believe that the initiative, if passed, would increase air pollution and threaten jobs in the clean energy sector.

Last edited:

Years
  • Interesting in one side of preposition 23 is the economic effects if it doesn't pass on the other side there is environmental consequences....that's a hard one to vote on for my neighbors down south (California)...

Years
  • Bumping this thread up. Remember to vote today and make your ~voice~ heard. n_n

Had to vote in my first ballot, provisionally today. I'm surprised that there's a lot of Judgeships up for reelection LOL.

Amai

やった! 私はあまい
    Years
  • Mr.Obama's luck may not be so great, He's not being so great.

Meh. So was Bush.

This is what I think is going to happen:

People will vote Republican because they feel that the democrats aren't doing anything/doing everything wrong.
    The same people will then vote Democrat right afterwards because they feel that the republicans aren't doing anything/doing everything wrong.

That's what people do, at least, when they know nothing about economics or politics..which is most people.

Amai

やった! 私はあまい
    Years
  • The republicans just won 3 House seats and it's just beginning :)

That's alright. Democrats are beating Republicans in the Senate by 17 votes. Democrats only need 11 more to get majority.

More democrat governors have also been elected.

Also, republican votes are usually reported first.

Guest123_x1

It appears everybody so far on here before this post is either from California or watching California's ballot proposals!

In Michigan, the Governorship, Attorney General, and Secretary of State are on the ballot. All three of these statewide seats are open because the incumbents (Democrat Jennifer Granholm, Republicans Mike Cox and Terri Lynn Land, repsectively) are all term-limited out.
    There is no U.S. Senate race for Michigan this year-the next Senate race will be in 2012 when Debbie Stabenow (D-Lansing) will be up for re-election.

Here's how I voted:

Michigan Governor/Lt:
    Stacey Mathia/Chris Levels (T-Grand Rapids/Flint)
    Attorney General: Bill Schuette (R-Midland)
    Secretary of State: Scotty Boman (L-Detroit)

U.S. House, District MI-10: Claude Beavers (L-Eastpointe)
    State Representative, District 82: Kevin Daley (R-Lum) (incumbent)
    State Senator, District 25: Phil Pavlov (R-St. Clair)

Lapeer County Commissioner, District 1: Cheryl Clark (D-Columbiaville) (incumbent)
    Lapeer County Road Commission: Joe Suma (R) (incumbent, unopposed)

State Board of Education:
    Bill Hall (L-Grand Rapids) and
    Karen Adams (T-Lake Odessa)

University of Michigan Regents, Michigan State Univ. Trustees, and Wayne State Governors:

skipped all these.

Michigan Supreme Court Justices:
    Mary Beth Kelly (Grosse Ile) and
    Bob Roddis (Grosse Pointe Farms)
    (I abstained from the other court races (40th Circuit Court and 4th District Court of Appeals), only incumbents were running)

Ballot Proposals
    10-1; Constitutional Convention to replace state Constitution: No
    10-2; Constitutional amendment to prohibit certain felons to hold elected office and certain other civic postitions: No
    Lapeer County Parks and Recreation millage increase: NO!

I'll have more on some of these races after the results come in.

Last edited:

Years
  • That's alright. Democrats are beating Republicans in the Senate by 17 votes. Democrats only need 11 more to get majority.

More democrat governors have also been elected.

Also, republican votes are usually reported first.
    I saw the polls leading up to this election and it actually seems like Democrats are going to lose state houses :)

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    My parents voted and I am happy that Republincans are winning.

I am watching Fox news rightt now and they are talking about it.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    The latest poll based on races already decided and ones still with polls open predicts that the GOP takes the House but the Senate stays with the Dems by a thin margin of 50-50 plus Biden's tie-breaking vote.

Years
  • Christine O'Donnell has pretty much spoiled things, then again Independent Joe Lieberman could backstab again and finally go Republican lol. So possible Republican Senate.

Also 3 Republican gains in Senate: Arkansas, Indiana

Marco Rubio has kept Florida Republican in the Senate too.

And 10 House gains for Republicans.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • Republicans, once again, sweep Alabama.

Oh noes, Barack, where are your cronies now?

EDIT: To be less idiotic... I can't stand the Democratic domestic policy of " Kick Bush as a distraction." We need people that can lead without worrying more about image than doing what's right.

Democrats and the Nanny State may be popular, but...

Europe is a poor status quo.

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Christine O'Donnell has pretty much spoiled things, then again Independent Joe Lieberman could backstab again and finally go Republican lol. So possible Republican Senate.

Also 3 Republican gains in Senate: Arkansas, Indiana

Marco Rubio has kept Florida Republican in the Senate too.

And 10 House gains for Republicans.

A flip-flopper would do use no good anyway. What I'm hoping for is a considerable number of Southern conservative Democrats support us in our filibustering if the Dems keep the Senate. Any pick-up is a win in the Senate since we already broke their filibuster-proof with Scott Brown.

Back