• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] The War for Existence

StarBreak

???
    Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2013
    This is a Pokémorph fanfiction with a few real Pokémon involved. Rated PG 13 for swearing and violence in war.

Prologue: The Lord of Souls

My name is not to be spoken by mankind. I am said to bring bad luck, fear, despair, death. But it is not true. There are not many things I can control in their world, and destruction is not my cup of tea. In fact, protecting said human world is very much my self-assigned duty from the beginning, other than looking after the realm of unclaimed souls. There is a Pokémon out there wrecking havoc in the fabrics of existence. She is known to man as Giratina, but I prefer to call her Giratinum.

Through a long, painful power struggle, she managed to get hold of both Dialga's and Palkia's abilities to command time and space. That happened very, very long ago, before the wheel is invented. She realised then that she had far too much power. No one can ever control the powers of Dialga, Palkia and Giratinum. The forces of time and space, without their proper owners, began to behave as if they were alive. Time could run backwards, stop, skip to the next one hour whenever it felt like it. Laws of physics, as what the humans called them, are different everywhere. An object stops rolling mid-slope in one place, rolls upwards in another.

My existence stops the distortions of space and time. It is the only reason this world is unaffected. Yes, the realm of unclaimed souls is safe too, but it looked after itself excellently. The realm of unclaimed souls does not depend on the fabrics of existence to function. Souls enter and exit this realm as they pleased; I only ensure the bodies in-coming souls emerge from are truly dead. A very redundant job indeed; nobody willingly comes. However, I am not the only one who cannot be touched by mutated space-time. I am aware of some aliens living in the world I devoted myself to having the same protection.

A certain virus ravaged across the planet fifty years ago. All Pokémon in the world perished, from the cream of the crop (Rayquaza) to the bottom of the barrel (Kricketot). The virus also affected the humans. They can change their bodies into a pre-determined Pokémon, courtesy of the same virus. Nobody can predict which Pokémon an individual is destined to transform into, but it is almost guaranteed that if someone is a Mareep when young, he or she can be a Flaaffy later and eventually evolve into an Ampharos. But there is a hefty price to pay for the ability to morph. The human lifespan is halved. The longest ever a human had lived with the virus is sixty years. Anybody who is forty years old is deemed extraordinary, but those who lived for fifty years and beyond never consider themselves well-off.

Whenever these quinquagenarians think back of the good old days, they cannot stop themselves from shedding tears. They were there when there were Pokémon. They were there when the Pokémon fell sick and succumbed to the disease. They were there when their beloved Pokémon partners were dying and they could not help them. When the world's economy fell into recession as the humans try to pull themselves together, they were there too. If you had witnessed the catastrophe the virus brought and was haunted by the trauma of losing your friends every night, there is nothing lucky in living over half a century. The cries for help that could not be answered, the hopeless situation, the dead bodies, the sleepless nights, the eyes red from crying, the loss of friends… The disaster never really went away as the events replayed themselves endlessly in their mind. Anyone would wish he were dead so he could escape from the memory of the terrible nightmare, and more likely, be with his friends again.

True, I am a Pokémon, a legendary one. The virus could not infect me because I have no body, not to mention I live in another dimension where no one else does. It is a very beautiful place, but pollution is slowly, surely ruining it. There is no place I rather be, partly because it is my home, and, believe it or not, I lost, with my physical body, the ability to leave it. But it does not matter. I can still scout the world. I can summon people into my dimension. Contact them, even.

Defeating Giratinum, however, will mean getting the aliens' help. They look like humans, speak like humans, behave like humans and are exactly human right down to the ability to morph, because they are humans, just that they are humans from other dimensions.

It is my fault they are here, but it is not me who bestowed the morphing ability to them or dragged them into this mess. Dialga and Palkia chose several people from different dimensions and gave them the ability to Pokémorph. They are also invulnerable to the virus and the distortions of time and space. Why these people out of all the other billions? I don't know. I merely moved all of them to one place; easier to take care of them. We are the only ones who can effectively attack Giratinum, who is immune to attacks otherwise. I have no doubt Giratinum is coming to get me now. She knows I am the last one who can stop her. She knows although she cannot enter my dimension (it is something like a physics law here), it is still possible to attack me.

How does defeating Giratinum solve the problem? I believe if Giratinum is weakened severely, I can then possess her and banish the powers of Dialga and Palkia away from her existence. After that, I will cease to exist myself, and so will Giratinum. I was born purely for that purpose and would have no reason to live thereafter. It is all right though. I am not the one who will repair the twisted time-space since I have no means to do it. That task will fall upon Arceus' capable hands.

My mission is to keep these aliens alive as well as offer them guidance in the face of Giratinum. But I have to be very careful about my powers. They are definite, and grow weaker and weaker every time I use them. Losing them completely will result in my demise and consequently, the fall of my home and the humans' planet. The delicate balance between intervention and doing nothing about the aliens' lives is a balance I must strike at all costs.

-------------------------------------

I would like to have feedback on how to realise the potential of a Pokémorph world. Technology allowed clothes to be absorbed during morphing. Technology can also suppress the morphing ability wherever it is forbidden, but it is not perfect. Several individuals, not necessarily aliens, can bypass the restriction and defeat this system. I am a big fan of the spin-off games, so the battle mechanics and items can be derived from both the main games and spin-off games.

Back