• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The XYZ of Gen VI's Failings so far and why the next Game will be MUCH better

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
  • I agree, it'll be so much nicer if it had a more rpg like system. Also maybe change the way moves work, and instead make pp into some sort of energy bar. They could introduce items that allow the use of less energy but still the same amount of power, that could take the place of pp up and pp max. Seriously the pp system is kind of outdated...and kind of boring...

Actually, the PP system is perfect for Pokemon. Here's my attempt to explain why:

Each move requires the use of different natural weapons, muscles, and abilities. Muscles don't all wear down at once, you can get a sore shoulder but still feel like running another mile, for example. The PP method simulates the endurance, sharpness, energy level, etc. for the various combinations of things required for each move's usage.

Thus, only when the required portions become tired, the use of that move is impaired while other moves are still possible. It simplifies something that should require about 20 different attributes to track, while still maintaining the feel of a combat simulation game.

Another example is a baseball player, who swings and misses a bunch of times, their arms grow tired and they become useless at hitting the ball, but still make great outfielders as their legs are not tired at all, allowing them to run and catch fly balls better than they can hit them. The PP of the "hit" move is drained, the PP of the "catch fly ball" would still have some available.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • I agree, it'll be so much nicer if it had a more rpg like system. Also maybe change the way moves work, and instead make pp into some sort of energy bar. They could introduce items that allow the use of less energy but still the same amount of power, that could take the place of pp up and pp max. Seriously the pp system is kind of outdated...and kind of boring...

I'm all for change, but I don't think that the core gameplay should be tampered with too drastically. The PP system is just fine the way it is, I believe. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There are plenty of other aspects of Pokémon which aren't yet perfect, and I'm hoping that they can fix these things or improve upon some of the more stale elements of the game (the single-player post-game content, for example), but the core gameplay (the battle system, I mean) is more or less fine the way it is. If they're going to change something, it shouldn't be th PP.

Years
  • ITT: people want to buy a game with a Pokémon logo on it but it secretly be an entirely different game.

Jokes aside, I mean I'm reading a little here and there and it really seems like alot of the stuff you guys wanna see improved/ changed are some of pokemons very own well tuned mechanics. While some of these mechanics aren't unique to the series they are a huge part in the great fun that is pokemon.
    & I swear if they ever moved the main pokemon games to console only I'd probably hang it up.
    It is the only reason I have a handheld game and the experience that is pokemon, even without nostalgia, would be vastly different. IMO there are games that seem like they top Polemon because they are larger in design but I don't personally want pokemon to be like those games because then it won't be like a pokemon game any longer.
    Just my opinion though :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2015
    I personally liked just about everything in this game, aside from how few of new pokemon they added (however I have a feeling they will remedy this soon enough.) My main issue is the people who dislike the story. I personally thought this story had one of the most emotional and deep stories of all time, in respect to Lysandre. I felt most of the story was implied, not thrown in everyone's faces, creating a sort of greater story for older players. I am going to go over how I view some of the characters of the plot now, much of which is rooted in their dialogue and actions.

Lysandre was a man who only wanted to help the world, being as charitable and kind as possible. Eventually, he realized that no matter how hard he tried, people would suffer. He started losing his mind as he became hopeless. Sycamore, his close friend, tried to comfort him and keep him off of this path, but wasn't forceful enough. Eventually Lysandre becomes the man we know throughout the plot of X and Y, a broken, evil man bent on destroying the world's evil.

Another character to look at is your main rival, in this case Serena. If you look at all the things she says, she spends most of the story trying to find herself. Her parents were talented trainers, so she always lived in their shadows. She goes on the journey to prove herself, meanwhile you defeat her at every turn. The mega stone was the greatest example. It would be the only way to set her apart for sure. She could have asked you if she could have it, but she needed to prove herself. Ultimately this ends with her only falling more and more into your shadow as you continue to become stronger and stronger.

In the post game, there is actually what I feel is very important character development for Trevor as well. You see, as a kid, his parents left him and his sister to go train their pokemon. Trevor doesn't give up or fall into depression, instead he decides to leave home for himself and travel to fill out his pokedex.

Then there is of course the professor. Sycamore is hinted to do a lot more in the plot than is actually realized. He has visited every cafe, befriended Lysandre, studied under professor Rowan, and is on a first name basis with the champion. There is a lot of potential for his character to be shown more with these details alone.

Years
  • I personally liked just about everything in this game, aside from how few of new pokemon they added (however I have a feeling they will remedy this soon enough.) My main issue is the people who dislike the story. I personally thought this story had one of the most emotional and deep stories of all time, in respect to Lysandre. I felt most of the story was implied, not thrown in everyone's faces, creating a sort of greater story for older players. I am going to go over how I view some of the characters of the plot now, much of which is rooted in their dialogue and actions.

Lysandre was a man who only wanted to help the world, being as charitable and kind as possible. Eventually, he realized that no matter how hard he tried, people would suffer. He started losing his mind as he became hopeless. Sycamore, his close friend, tried to comfort him and keep him off of this path, but wasn't forceful enough. Eventually Lysandre becomes the man we know throughout the plot of X and Y, a broken, evil man bent on destroying the world's evil.

Another character to look at is your main rival, in this case Serena. If you look at all the things she says, she spends most of the story trying to find herself. Her parents were talented trainers, so she always lived in their shadows. She goes on the journey to prove herself, meanwhile you defeat her at every turn. The mega stone was the greatest example. It would be the only way to set her apart for sure. She could have asked you if she could have it, but she needed to prove herself. Ultimately this ends with her only falling more and more into your shadow as you continue to become stronger and stronger.

In the post game, there is actually what I feel is very important character development for Trevor as well. You see, as a kid, his parents left him and his sister to go train their pokemon. Trevor doesn't give up or fall into depression, instead he decides to leave home for himself and travel to fill out his pokedex.

Then there is of course the professor. Sycamore is hinted to do a lot more in the plot than is actually realized. He has visited every cafe, befriended Lysandre, studied under professor Rowan, and is on a first name basis with the champion. There is a lot of potential for his character to be shown more with these details alone.

I completely agree with you. People also forget that this is the first pokemon game with real cut scenes, withholding kyurem and zek/reshi battle in bw2. Everything before we had to watch sprites throw out dialogue ( not that I dislike that at all ) this game was a HUUUGGEEE overhaul and I think it'll get better in time to the ones that don't really appreciate it yet. I've beat x and y and just the other day I traded over all my legends and shines from x so I could restart and really play through it now that my hype has died down a little. Its solo much to take in the 3rd time around ( I'm over 20 hours have a fully evolved started and only one gym badge haha ) but back to your point.
    The story. The story is probably the most realistic one yet. As you progress through you don't have countless NPC's knowing everything about the evil team or the legendary. You don't have so much as maybe even a nudge to yveltal in x version and vica verca with xerneas in y. You progress through and every place kind of has its own spot in the region. Landmarks have a good detail but not everything in the entire region is related to the legendary. It really fleshes out the legends in a better light and kind of takes away from the idea that they are godlike.
    It has always aggravated me how much lore and energy goes into boasting these legendary up but when you get there and battle it you almost have to struggle to not ohko it.
    More so in diamond and pearl than any. I thought it was so stupid to give the legendarys a history dealing with time and space: like okay. You rule time... dragonite use outrage!
    I ramble way to much but still, I love how in x and y the legendarys don't have a lot of in stone mythology in your face in every town, it leaves room for future installments to their back story.
    Same with an evil organization, there shouldn't be a ton of back story to them. If it was and everyone was aware of that then it wouldn't make sense that they would still be operating long enough for you to come around and do a better job than the champion, or gym leaders could help do.
    It really places the characters in the journey along with you. I feel so left out at the end walking away with the little bit of back story on the characters, but I loved going through my journey craving more of them, and why did I crave more ? BC the good ppl at Pokémon finally realized they don't have to give you everything you want to make a good game. They can hold back and not burn bridges, I love this idea because there is a HUGE amount of uncharted territory left to construct for us for the sequel/ prequel

Back