• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Theme speculation foe S/M

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2018
    So here's a quick recap of the thematic motifs of the past regions in previous pokemon games;

Kanto: Science/genetics
    Johto: Tradition
    Hoenn: Nature
    Sinnoh: Mythology/Legends
    Unova: Dualism
    Kalos: Beauty

So, based on what we know so far, what do you guys think the themamtic motif of Alola might be?

My guess is it might be a spiritual one cuz of what I've seen from the recent trailer, and according to an analysis of said trailer, the owl that Rowlet is based on is said to be one of the physical forms assumed by ancestor spirits according to Hawaiian culture.

So what are your thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

Last edited:
    Years
    Some of those 'themes' are a bit iffy. A Pokémon game has many aspects and integrates multiple themes. Do you just mean the general subject or setting of the plot? That could be various things, but you'd suppose they'd aim for something related to the location's gimmick.

Years
    It's hard to guess what the theme might be. Sun and moon could be something like cycles or balance, but those sort of overlap with the yin/yang theme from Unova. I guess there could be some kind of theme about fate in an astrology kind of way, but I dunno.

Majestic Electric

Raining on your parade!
    Years
    Flowers!
    In all seriousness though, I can't help but think Sun and Moon are going to have a light vs. darkness theme. It just makes sense based on the title of these games, but we'll see.

There's also the whole conservation thing that we've seen with the new Pokémon so far, so maybe that could play a role with the theme some how? It's really hard to tell what it could be this time around, to be honest. :p

Years
    Reading up on Hawaiian Culture, there is a practice known as Hoʻoponopono, where it is believed that errors cause illness or suffering. If Zygarde is going to be utilized by the evil team/teams in anyway, I do expect the concept of salvation and forgiveness to be involved in the thematic motifs of the generation having Solgaleo and Lunala depending on the version cause either salvation with the power of day to stop Zygarde or forgive Zygarde with the power of night.

With the cultural usage of healing illness in emotion, and the connection with familial kahuna, one could foresee Familial Ties as another thematic Motif which could be present in this upcoming generation.

It's neat, and It's quite possible that based on Hawaiian culture and Alola being based off of Hawaii that Salvation, Forgiveness and Familial Ties could prove to be some potential Thematic Motifs of this generation.

ZangooseClaw

Pokemon Philosopher
    Years
    Never thought about each region having signature themes but when you list it like that it does kinda make sense.
    Pairing the tropical vibes along with night & day aesthetics signlas to me that there may be a sense of justice or mercy where actions done in the dark of night are revealed in a harsh daylight. Perhaps our rival will blur the line between friend & competition, making it more spiritually grueling to battle them.

Back