• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Those BASTARDS

Captain Oshawott

The Otter Pirate
Years
  • Today I went to the game store because I wanted to buy Pokémon Ruby version, and they did have it. Hooray! I really wanted to play it on my DS instead of playing it again on my laptop, or borrow it from a friend (I did that YEARS ago, and I really don't want to ask him again).

But then, the owner of the game shop said the evil words: "it's a hundred bucks". A HUNDRED BUCKS. FOR AN OLD AND USED GAME! I didn't buy it, of course. I don't have a hundred bucks. I've tried to find it on eBay a long time ago, but there's only one problem. I was too afraid of buying a fake one, so I started searching on YouTube, trying to find a video explaining how to catch a fake GBA game. How could I forget that? I tried to search something about it AGAIN, because I have completely forgotten how to spot a fake one.

I soon realized that the guy who tried to sell me the game for one hundred bucks was trying to sell me was a fake one. For one. Hundred. Bucks. Thank Groudon I didn't buy it.

I was wondering... are your Pokémon games original? If not, have you experienced any saving issues or other kind of problems?

New legit copies are available on Amazon for $280! That's a bit ridiculous if you ask me. Anyways, I checked Amazon for USED games. They are prices around 20-30 bucks. I'd suggest Amazon, you can usually get the better, legit stuff there. Do be warned though, there are people that sell hacked games, with all available pokemon caught, have pokerus', all shiny, etc. For $50 or so.

But as Macguyver has said, a remake of Gen III might be on the way, so perhaps waiting out on that.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • New legit copies are available on Amazon for $280! That's a bit ridiculous if you ask me. Anyways, I checked Amazon for USED games. They are prices around 20-30 bucks. I'd suggest Amazon, you can usually get the better, legit stuff there. Do be warned though, there are people that sell hacked games, with all available pokemon caught, have pokerus', all shiny, etc. For $50 or so.

But as Macguyver has said, a remake of Gen III might be on the way, so perhaps waiting out on that.

That's because they're out of print and have become collector's items.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I haven't bought many games as of now as most of the games I play on emulator. However, tis horrifying to know that people cheat us like this.

Just hope my X & Y purchase won't be a cheat.

atomtanned

Delinquent
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    Most of my games are original. I bought new every old Gameboy game except Gold, got Sapphire for GBA then I have Pearl, HeartGold, Black & Black 2 for the DS games.

I stopped playing for a while during Gen 3, and so I bought most of those used -- FR, LG, Ruby & Emerald. I also bought a used copy of Platinum recently too. Most of them came from a local video game store -- kind of cool, because they had old save files on them! I saved a few Pokemon from the old trainers, just for fun :)

I got lucky, though -- when I decided I wanted to replay Gen 3 I didn't realize there were things like fake cartridges out there. I wanted Emerald, my local store didn't have it, and I knew about the battery issue, so I bought an ebay copy that had the battery replaced (because I didn't trust myself to mess with one). I freaked at first when I found out that there were fake copies, but I've logged a ton of hours on it without any save issue, so I think I'm safe!

HeyLoro

So shiny!
    Years
  • I've never run into this problem myself, thankfully. I was kind of nervous when I had to order a copy of LeafGreen from eBay and hoped that it wouldn't be fake.
    Luckily it is legit and works well. I did see a few online that looked weird, like those that don't have the green cartridge. Have to be careful :|

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2016
    UPDATE: I've already bought an original Ruby version for a fair price. A big thanks to a few of you guys who tried to help me find it.

In all honesty, we all know R-S-E remakes are bound to come out. If I were you, I would just wait for when they inevitably are re-released.

I'm sure they are, but I'm not a patient person, fufufu.

Last edited:

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • In all honesty, we all know R-S-E remakes are bound to come out. If I were you, I would just wait for when they inevitably are re-released.

You know, there are people who want to buy the original third Gen games for a lot of reasons. Some want to use them to complete their Gen 4 or 5 Pokédex more easily (Gen 3 starters especially come to mind) . Some (like me) are into retro games. Some (also like me :) ) like to be able to use the Gameboy Player and play on their TVs. And some (again, like me) are not convinced (and won't be convinced until there's an official announcement) that RSE remakes are happening at all.

★Hoenn★ said:
    Just hope my X & Y purchase won't be a cheat.

As long as you buy or preorder them in stores or on Amazon, I'd say you'll be fine.

There are dozens of tutorials all over the net to spot fake GBA cartridges. I wrote one, as I've mentioned in my previous post, I've also seen some on eBay and some people posted videos on Youtube where they compared fake cartridges with real ones. If you are set on buying the original Gen 3 cartridges, do some research first, and only trust sellers who provide a picture of their cartridge.

Back