• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Those major, tiny omissions

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
  • Surprised that no-one mentioned the Safari Zone. Maybe I was the only one that liked that place, idk, but it was a pretty cool alternative way to catch Pokémon for me. Just seems kinda lazy to not have included it.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Surprised that no-one mentioned the Safari Zone. Maybe I was the only one that liked that place, idk, but it was a pretty cool alternative way to catch Pokémon for me. Just seems kinda lazy to not have included it.

I kinda think of it as a just decision because of the Dream World really - who needs the Safari Zone where the chances of catching Pokemon are almost impossible w/ chance based while you've got something where it's entirely chance based but there's a 99% chance you can get the Pokemon you encounter. Works out better imo.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    Vs Seeker, of course.

The small stuff like, no footstep sounds when you walk/run or through the grass. No more sounds of the water rushing when you're near it. Bring back the following Pokemon!

The C-Gear us basically useless save for the Global Link and Dream World, but I barely use it.

But for the sprites...Its not like its easy to make sprites for Pokemon, let alone the frames for them, but now they have to make them move? It can't be that easy to do that for over 600! So I can see why they didn't make new sprites for all of them.

phonastik

Strange Quark
    Years
  • But for the sprites...Its not like its easy to make sprites for Pokemon, let alone the frames for them, but now they have to make them move? It can't be that easy to do that for over 600! So I can see why they didn't make new sprites for all of them.

I agree. I know this thread is about tiny omissions, but I don't really mind about the sprites. They've recycled sprites often (need I remind you of Yellow/Gold Exeggutor?).

Still, I really miss the Vs. Seeker, and its omission means that there is now no way to rebattle other Trainers, except the ones in Nimbasa City and Black City. Also, L=A. Even though it became more difficult to play one-handed after Gen III, with the 'registered item' button on the other side, it was still convenient.

Axiom

Seraphic
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2012
    I miss the following Pokemon feature... I used to love tearing around Johto with an Arbok at my back, and I wish I could do it with Serperior. *Looks out of window. Tear comes from left eye.*

Trainer Evan

Loses lots, but keeps trying!
    Years
  • 1. No VS Seeker
    2. Pokemon do not follow you
    3. Worse User Interface(Sorry, I do not need to see my online options every second of everyday, I'd rather have ****ing hotkeys there, like HG/SS perfected.)
    4. Connecting to the internet induces rage.
    5. Lower resolution sprites due to moving despite the DS having the capabilities to do much better than that. I'll take my Gen 4 sprites, thank you. Look much better.
    6. Dowsing Machine not good for Shiny's.
    7. Story focuses too much on N, not you, like the other games.
    8. Pokewalker is useless(Say what you want, it had uses.)
    9. Story ends too soon with not a lot to do afterwards other than hunt for the sages.
    10. Not as much ambient sounds.
    11. The battle screen is worse than Gen 4. It used to be that the plot of land each pokemon stood on matched the environment, now they're just colored blobs. The only improvement is that you can see weather effects on the battle menu.
    12. While the idea of battling on a subway is cooler, the Battle Frontier was a lot more awesome in terms of atmosphere and what kind of battles you could do.

Spycicle

Gentlemen.
    Years
  • The fact that mostly everything from Gen llll and back is unobtainable apart from migrating and Dream World.
    Game Freak, Y U NO LET US SAVE MONEY

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    The fact that mostly everything from Gen llll and back is unobtainable apart from migrating and Dream World.
    Game Freak, Y U NO LET US SAVE MONEY

OH right, migrating is also kinda hard considering it won't let you do what Generation 4 did in that it allowed you to put R/S/LG/FR/etc at the bottom of your DS and actually migrate, while now we can't even do that. :(

AND not being able to trade items forward kinda sucks too (well as implied I only have one DS so I couldn't do it anyway BUT STILL) since all the Masterballs people have collected over the years... gone to waste!

Also @ Trainer Evan: The story focusing on N is good though, because you become apart of it and become the "other hero" of Unova.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    Well...you can't really expect them to make migrating easy this time around. Gen IV and V are one the same system. Back then in the beginning of Gen IV the DSi wasn't even out meaning the the original DS and the DS Lite still had the GBA cartridge slot so Nintendo just took advantage of that. Its not like the DSi or 3DS has 2 DS Card slots so you can't really expect migrating Pokemon this time around to be as easy.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Well...you can't really expect them to make migrating easy this time around. Gen IV and V are one the same system. Back then in the beginning of Gen IV the DSi wasn't even out meaning the the original DS and the DS Lite still had the GBA cartridge slot so Nintendo just took advantage of that. Its not like the DSi or 3DS has 2 DS Card slots so you can't really expect migrating Pokemon this time around to be as easy.

There's still a great portion of fans who haven't yet upgraded, so the option for doing that for those with the older DS' could've still been considered, while everyone on the other systems migrated the newer way. I don't think that would've taken that much extra effort to have both options available depending on what DS the games are played on.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021

There's still a great portion of fans who haven't yet upgraded, so the option for doing that for those with the older DS' could've still been considered, while everyone on the other systems migrated the newer way. I don't think that would've taken that much extra effort to have both options available depending on what DS the games are played on.

Yea, but Nintendo isn't really one to cater to both sides of the spectrum. Besides its not migration itself that's the issue, its how. Even for those who haven't upgraded, like me. It wouldn't matter. In order to migrate the old way, there'd have to be away to utilize both DS cards in one DS. And that's not possible.

Back