• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Thoughts on Fairy Types Now?

NRG

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2015
    Azumarill <3

Huge power play rough :3

The only thing that bugs me is the 'fairy is a newly classified type'. Orly? So did all these countless fairy pokemon just appear within 10 minutes of the game starting? We can see that fairy type has been around for at least 3000 years.

Fitzsy

authentic cool guy
    Years
  • The only thing that bugs me is the 'fairy is a newly classified type'. Orly? So did all these countless fairy pokemon just appear within 10 minutes of the game starting? We can see that fairy type has been around for at least 3000 years.

I know what you mean! Same with Steel-Types and Dark-Types back in Generation II! I figure it's exactly that, just a classification, like maybe the Flabébé line was pure Grass-Type or Klefki was Steel/Dark-Type shortly prior to the events of the game. Think of it like Pluto, which didn't just start existing after it was deemed a dwarf planet...

Just some headcanon here, that the top Pokémon officials would get together and discuss this sort of thing every once and awhile, analyzing the effectiveness of moves and that sort of thing for the sake of classification. Gotta wonder what this does for, say, Whitney and the Goldenrod Gym!

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I know what you mean! Same with Steel-Types and Dark-Types back in Generation II! I figure it's exactly that, just a classification, like maybe the Flabébé line was pure Grass-Type or Klefki was Steel/Dark-Type shortly prior to the events of the game. Think of it like Pluto, which didn't just start existing after it was deemed a dwarf planet...

Just some headcanon here, that the top Pokémon officials would get together and discuss this sort of thing every once and awhile, analyzing the effectiveness of moves and that sort of thing for the sake of classification. Gotta wonder what this does for, say, Whitney and the Goldenrod Gym!

You can't exactly measure attack effectiveness in real life, you have to guess. If any pokemon could be mistaken for Grass Type, it is Flabebe.

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
    Years
  • I really love the fairy types. as a matter of fact its what of my new favorite types(next to steel and psychic). (though actually I havent played x and y. I used the fairy types in pokeshodown). Most of the fairies have really good stats are really hard hitting moves and alot of the gen 6 fairis have great designs.(looking at you especially sylveon and flabebe.)I love how they are immune to dragons(even though it makes no sense what soever lol). plus I love how their is now a third type to beat fighting and dark types. My only gripe with them however is that moonblast is waaaaay overpowered.(but it aint that big of a problem).

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    I find that Fairy type was a great addition, Fairy types like Klefki are really amazing because Steel gets rid of both of Fairy's weaknesses so Klefki is just a Steel type but with Fairy STAB. Fairy's weaknesses being Steel and Poison confused some people but I sort of got them. Superstition states that keeping charms or items made of iron repels spirits and fairies and then Poison I just assume that that fairies are usually associated with nature and Poison kills nature.

Overall I like Fairy types my favorites have to be Carbink and Klefki

Years
  • I do quite like the new type. It is a welcome addition. I don't get why all Flabebes are female though but I can live with it.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I do quite like the new type. It is a welcome addition. I don't get why all Flabebes are female though but I can live with it.
    Well it's final evolution looks very feminine...they should make Flabebe be able to be male though and have made a split line depending on their gender. Or they could have made gender differences...

Fitzsy

authentic cool guy
    Years
  • I'm suprised they didn't make Flabébé a Fairy/Grass. Seemed really odd if you ask me.

It does make Petal Dance a bit less effective, but on the other hand, it prevented my team from being nearly entirely Grass-Type in the early bits of the game! Logically, though, the whole "the flower isn't a part of it" excuse doesn't really hold up given so many other Pokémon with head-scratching Types, a la Palkia. Florges even integrates the flowers into itself, sooo... Maybe it's a balance thing, who knows!

Ludds

I am British
    Years
  • Part of me thinks they could have called it the light type and kept everything else the same - fairy has certain connotations.

But yeah, I quite like my Sylveon. Don't like Xerneas though.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I'm suprised they didn't make Flabébé a Fairy/Grass. Seemed really odd if you ask me.

I think the Idea behind Flabebe is that Kalos has a lot of fairy pokemon BUT Fairy is still a NEW Type to them. They only now discovered it. How is it possible for Kalos to not know about Fairy Type until now...?

Flabebe. Kalos probably classified it as Pure Grass until recently. I learn grass type attacks, it evolves into a FLOWER. But now they know it is a fairy.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • While we know why GameFreak added in the addition of Fairy types, I don't recall ever getting much back story of their existence in the games much at all. If I recall correctly from my vague playthrough of Silver and Crystal a looooong time ago, I think they at least mentioned Dark and Steel types as newly discovered types. In X and Y, it seemed like they were nothing new.

As for me, I'm a fan of the new Fairy type! I can't wait to see some more in future generations. Carbink is my favorite and I love that the Ralts line was given the Fairy type. I never asked for it to happen, but it just makes sense! You know?

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2013
    I adore the new fairy types. They were GREATLY needed to help even out the game (as the makers even said themselves, dragons were greatly over powered and needed something to even out the playing field a bit). My pokemon friends hate it, I love them. My sylveon is so cute and named alice <3 Need to train her some more, however.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    While we know why GameFreak added in the addition of Fairy types, I don't recall ever getting much back story of their existence in the games much at all. If I recall correctly from my vague playthrough of Silver and Crystal a looooong time ago, I think they at least mentioned Dark and Steel types as newly discovered types. In X and Y, it seemed like they were nothing new.

As for me, I'm a fan of the new Fairy type! I can't wait to see some more in future generations. Carbink is my favorite and I love that the Ralts line was given the Fairy type. I never asked for it to happen, but it just makes sense! You know?

When you meet Professor Sycamore's assitants before entering Lumoise, they say that Fairy Type was newly discovered so they were using Fairy Type Pokemon against many Pokemon types to test their abilities...but then the actual story has Fairy Type's discovery more than 3000 years ago.

So its kinda weird.

Have a slight update from using my Fairy Type run....Everything except for Azumarill so far is too freaking fragil. Ralts gets KO'd in like two hits from anything. Flabebe and Floette can't take a hit either. I just got Swirlix and it gets thrown aside like a damp paper bag. ugh.

I have to keep switching to Azumarill to get the most out of EXP share training rather than just plowing through everything with Azumarill.

Quinn

Shall we get down to business?
    Years
  • It's cool there is a new type how ever, it's still a very young type and right now all i have to got on is a little green/white person holding a flower, a walking bulldog, perfume, and cotton candy. I think i will wait till the next game were they introduce more fairy types. i will say that i think its weakness to steel is a little random, all the other type weaknesses make sense but i can't place my finger on that weakness.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    It's cool there is a new type how ever, it's still a very young type and right now all i have to got on is a little green/white person holding a flower, a walking bulldog, perfume, and cotton candy. I think i will wait till the next game were they introduce more fairy types. i will say that i think its weakness to steel is a little random, all the other type weaknesses make sense but i can't place my finger on that weakness.

That's mostly because in all real fairytales surrounding Fairies, you protected your home by hanging Steel/Iron horse shoes over the door (which coined the lucky horse shoe) because Iron was a metal that could ward off evil spirits such as fae folks which consisted of Fairies, Pixies, sprites, ghosts, Goblins, and lesser demon like creatures.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    While we know why GameFreak added in the addition of Fairy types, I don't recall ever getting much back story of their existence in the games much at all. If I recall correctly from my vague playthrough of Silver and Crystal a looooong time ago, I think they at least mentioned Dark and Steel types as newly discovered types. In X and Y, it seemed like they were nothing new.

my own head cannon: Fairy types are mutation that were caused by ultimate weapon used 3000 years ago. That is why fairy types can only be found in Kalos and the effect of ultimate weapon is still strong that any potentional fairy type pokemon ( e.g Mr Mine) gets their type added/changed due to that effect when brought to Kalos :P

幕之内 一歩

<b><font color=
    Years
  • I really don't like the addition of the Fairy type now that I've experienced it. Dark and Steel made sense and were able to fit into the already established type system easily. It even made sense.

Now, with this new addition, I don't get it and I can only ask why? Were people tired of Dragons being the top dogs in the game with no weakness other than another dragon?

Not to mention just completely turning the canon of Pokemon on it's head. You changed established, original Pokemon (Mr. Mime, Clefairy, Jigglypuff) to this new type. All those times in the show or manga when a fighting Pokemon would own a Clefairy or Jigglypuff, doesn't make sense now, cause they SHOULD have been resistant.

While on the subject of resistance, of all the types I figured WOULD have a super effective against Fairy, it would have been dark, but they're resistant to that too? Poison makes sense, but Steel? Really?

Eh.. it just doesn't sit well with me.

Also, someone else pointed it out, how does a Fairy type get a gym leader before Dark? Really? As long as Dark has been in the game, Fairy just comes out the gate with a gym?

Back