• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen To evolve or not to evolve. That is the question!

Evolve?

• Yes evolve! They will be strong but learn moves slower.

Votes: 30 69.8%
  • Dont evolve! Let them learn their moves first then evolve.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • I..I have no idea o.O

Votes: 6 14.0%

• Total voters

Missie

Pokemon Groomer
    Years
    Now I just started playing FR and I was ready through my Pokemon red magzine. Now I dont know if they have started to same or changed but is it best to level a pokemon when it wants to or do I wait until it learns it's last attack?

Say that you caught a level 8 pidgey. It can learn its last attack, Mirror move, at level 44 while a Pidgeot will learn mirror move at 54. But I know if I dont evolve them they might not be as strong.

What do you guys think?

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    The stats won't be affected. Once you evolve it, it's stats will auto adjust to it's new form. So evolve that puny poop-machine into an even bigger poop machine.

Squeegee Beckenheim

SB - The Hunk (Since 2005)
    Years
    In my opinion there is always an upside and a down side to this issue. If you don't evolve the attacks will come much quicker, but you may miss a good attack that only the evolved form can learn. Then of course if you evolve them you will have to wait longer to learn moves, but the evolved Pokemon is a bit stronger.

Dark Penguin

[Insert text here]
    Years
    i always like the pre-evolved forms better, but the truth is, their stats severly lack those of the evolved forms. i always tried to not evolve my oddish, but it sucked so bad it would get knocked out constantly, even against NVE moves. The stats are way lower than the evolved forms. So its worth it to evolve them, but if not, your in for a tough challenge and will have to keep them at higher levels than their opponents.

~Amethyst_Callista_Moon~

Ribbon Mint Echo!
    Years
    Evolve it. If you are careful enough to know which moves do you want your Pokemon to learn, you just might be able to get it into an advantage!

Look, no offense, but why would the E4 want to be defeated against a Pidgey?

Years
    • Age 34
    • Utah
    • Seen Jan 24, 2006
    I'd say evolve, you may learn the move later but getting to that level will be easier b/c your pokemon will be stronger.

Dark Penguin

[Insert text here]
    Years
    SRV said:
    Okay, I see no point to continue this thread.
    more people may want to put their input. thats not for you to decide, cause after all, some people may have just found the thread. not to be rude, but it isn't dea.d yet.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Sep 16, 2005
    Like if u dont evolve torchic, it will learn flamethrower, but if u evolve it to blaziken, it will learn blaze kick. Depends if u are a fire or fighting user:)

Oh yes, Charizard Fire God, isnt that the pic from Dragonheart?

CardsOfTheHeart

We fight with our heart!
    Years
    depends on the pokemon and what moves you want it to learn.

example:
    -graveler
    to evolve or not to evolve? i say, EVOLVE RIGHT AWAY!!! golem still learns the same moves at the same levels as graveler. there's no reason not to trade it ASAP.
    -spearow
    to evolve or not to evolve? do you want it to learn aerial ace but you don't want to waste a TM or breed for it? wait 'til lv25. otherwise, feel free to evolve away.

Years
    • Age 39
    • Seen Nov 6, 2005
    its really all the same, in the long run, if you know what moveset you're gonna use, then you would know when's the best time to evolve it.

halfling2

Breakfast Squid
    Years
    I always evolve mindlessly, unless I'm trying to keep it looking like something, but I usually cave in to the lack of power. Sometimes I try to level them up a bit more in their sucky forms to make em learn certain moves.

Back