• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Too Many Evolutions Spoil the Broth"

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Too many evolutions spoil the broth
    It has become a certainty that with each new generation there will be new evolutions as well as a few pre-evolutions of Pokémon from previous generations. Fans typically look forward to finding out which Pokémon will have such a treatment, and there usually is at least one topic on forums that ask users to speculate or "request" new evolutions.

This was probably the thing most looked forward to in the time before Gold and Silver's release, with many eagerly awaiting the long-rumoured Pokégods. While they never arrived exactly as thought, new evolutions did and people were still amazed. Pre-evolutions were actually a surprise, having never been rumoured, so they were also a much-welcomed addition.

This all changed with the release of the fourth generation of Diamond and Pearl, and instantly led to the claim that Game Freak had finally "run out of ideas" and that previous Pokémon were "ruined". Despite completely turning around previous distaste for the third generation, many people still harbor a resentment over the new evolutions.

So has Game Freak really "run out of ideas"? Are the older Pokémon "ruined" because of their new evolutions? In a way, yes, Game Freak has; and yes, the older Pokémon are ruined. But at the same time some of the new Pokémon were enormously creative and nothing out of the norm of what had previously been done. Keep reading to see exactly why both are true.

Why make new evolutions?
    As stated above, many new evolutions introduced in Gold and Silver were once thought to be "PokéGods". Often these PokéGods were rumoured to evolve from completely ordinary and common Pokémon. Other times they were said to evolve from event Pokémon that were in fact rare and special, such as the starters. This was most likely because people who had trained their starter all the way from level 1 to level 100 would want a final prize for all their hard-earned work; in the same way, a common Pokémon that had long reached its final stage, or never even evolved at all, would give the player a feeling of wanting something "at the end of the rainbow".

Game Freak responded in kind, giving many previous Pokémon the chance to evolve once more, or split down a new path. This was their way of continuing the feeling of excitement and discovery once felt, and prevented the "old" Pokémon from being overshadowed by the new.

Since then, Game Freak has continued the tradition of selecting a choice few Pokémon from the previous generation/s to evolve once more.

Who gets to evolve?
    There are various reasons why a Pokémon may get a new (pre)evolution, and those that do generally have more than one.

1.) The Pokémon had potential to go in a creative new direction (Onix into Steelix to show the mineral hardening into metal, or the sudden realization "What if a Shellder bit Slowpoke's head?)
    2.) To give a Pokémon with weak stats a "second chance" (Yanmega gave Yanma a significant stat-boost)
    3.) The Pokémon was popular enough that adding a new (pre)evolution would attract old fans (Pikachu gaining the baby Pichu)
    4.) They were planned from the get-go to have one later on (Who knows?)

They screwed up
    Unfortunately, many of the new evolutions introduced in the Fourth Generation seem to have been decided solely on the second reason, even when their stats were perfectly fine. (See Is competitive battling all Game Freak cares about anymore?) The new evolutions have superficial changes (if any at all) and appear to be nothing more than cartoonish exaggerations of their predecessors.

Why is this bad?
    Say there was a rare baseball card worth $1,000,000. There's only one in the entire world, which is why it's worth so much. It's bought and sold very rarely, so when someone finally does get it they admire it because it's the only one and they worked hard for it.

Now imagine that another card turned up. Now there's only two in the whole wide world. This instantly devalues the card, making each worth only $75,000 or so... And what if a third card turned up? All three are now worth only $50,000. It's still a lot of money, and all three cards are still incredibly rare, but anyone that has one won't feel exactly the same. After all, other people have it so it's not as special.

This is exactly what has been done with many classic Pokémon. The most obvious examples are Electabuzz and Magmar. Both were very rare (version exclusives, even) and very powerful. Gold and Silver added pre-evolutions to them which reduces their sense of dominance, then Diamond and Pearl added evolutions which in one fell swoop totally reduced their rarity as well as saying "You were never that good to begin with... See? We improved you."

Others are Lickitung, Tangela, Mr. Mime, Scyther, and Jynx. Again, they were all rare. But they also had one defining quality that made them stand out: no evolutions. In a game where evolution is the norm, not evolving is enough to make you special.

The especially sad thing is that many of the new evolutions have very little changes from their previous stage. Lickitung simply has a longer tongue and Tangela now has arms. Sneasel's evolution has bigger claws and more feathers on its head. These are cosmetic changes that don't seem to spark the original concept of evolution, when the next stage might be something exciting and very different.

Is it really that bad?
    Most of the new evolutions that get a lot of heat for perceived uncreativity evolve from Pokémon in the First Generation, which suggests a lot. For one, people naturally don't like change. So when they see Pokémon they've known and loved for years get an "enhancement", it's pretty much saying that their childhood wasn't all that great and things are just better now. Looking through the lenses of nostalgia tend to tint everything rosy. Change doesn't sit well with nostalgia.

Secondly, maybe people are just tired of the First Generation Pokémon? The Pokémon from Red and Blue are spread out in more regions than the others are. They're probably seen as being almost common after having being featured in Red and Blue, the Kanto half of Gold and Silver, the Red and Blue remakes, and spread evenly throughout Hoenn and Sinnoh. (And now, it seems, in the Kanto half of the Gold and Silver remakes)

Because of these two reasons it's probably likely that distaste in the new evolutions are at least slightly misdirected. Yes, people don't like them, but it's probably more nostalgia and over-exposure that leads to this dislike rather than entirely uncreativity.

Another thing to consider is that, as stated at the start of this article, speculating on new evolutions is a common activity for Pokémon fans. Many Pokémon, such as Porygon2 and Leafeon, were once rumoured but eventually became official. It's quite possible that Game Freak really does listen and base their choices in new evolutions on popular demand. So it's really our own fault for so adamantly demanding new evolutions then not liking them when we get them. We drive Game Freak's motivation for making these (pre)evolutions in an attempt to satisfy us.

So it may be true that Game Freak has at times "run out of ideas", and has certainly ruined some Pokémon, many others have instead had new life breathed into them when once they may have been forgotten in favour of the newer additions.

In the end, these complaints are more ironic than anything. People complain especially about Magnezone, which is said to have "ruined" Magneton with an uncreative evolution. This is amusing considering that even during the First Generation people complained about Magneton not being creative and just three Magnemite.

oldenmw

so i herd u liek mudkipz
    Years
  • I agree with this post. I think Gamefreak is ruining many good pokemon with "better" evolutions. I think they should stick with creating new pokemon or even do what many fans are doing: creating alternate forms to suit the alternate habitat of some pokemon. That would give pokemon games much more complexity and entertainment for players. It would no longer be look at my Magmar, but look at my water Magmar! I caught it while surfing! You make an excellent point, Redstar.

oldenmw

so i herd u liek mudkipz
    Years
  • @Olden, wouldn't it rather be like "hey, have a look at my super rare Wagmar!"? : P
    call it what you like. Gamefreak could make them like shinies, except have a better purpse than being a different color. It would have tweaked stats and a different type with new moves. Then it WOULD be "Look at my super rare 'Wagmar'".

@PKFL 531 - It is, but Gamefreak could improve it in better ways. They don't have to stay with just putting in evos and new pokemon, but branch out a little.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    call it what you like. Gamefreak could make them like shinies, except have a better purpse than being a different color. It would have tweaked stats and a different type with new moves. Then it WOULD be "Look at my super rare 'Wagmar'".
    Not to get off-topic in my own thread, but the TCG does has https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Δ_Delta_Species_(TCG). GameFreak has made concepts first present in the TCG canon more than any other media in the franchise, so it's a strong bet they'll implement the Delta Species or some shiny-like trait in the future.

PKFL_531

What do you expect?
    Years
  • @oldenmw
    Well now, hmm... You are right. Those Pokemon were just stronger than normal pokemon but weaker than stronger pokemon. They didn't need any improvements and that's howcome the word "improving" was italicized. I was being sarcastic about pokemon improving(im not sarcastic about not technology improving).

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
  • This all seems like an attempt to introduce new players to the older Gen 1 and Gen 2 Pokemon.

Us old people could never forget the hell that was the Seafoam Islands, or crossing Tohjo Falls for the first time... but there are people whose first games were RSE/DPPt. At that stage, there was no need for them to even acknowledge the older Pokemon (aside from the typical Pidgey/Pikachu/Geodude/Zubat fare that appear in every game).

These new evolutions gave old, overlooked Pokemon like Tangela and Rhydon an excuse to sneak into the new batch of Pokemon. Their presence in the PokeDex meant that newgens would have to refer to separate list of Pokemon that was "new" to them in order to get them.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • i really diislike magmars and elekabuzz's evolution. but the eevee evolutions i really like.

this is why i liked the 3rd generation better than the 4th, only 2 pre-evolution pokemon were introduced in RSE and the rest was its own unique pokemon. Im seeing a pattern here

1st generation: original group of pokemon2nd generation: introduced pre-evolution and evolved formes (scizor,crobat, ect)3rd generation: original group of pokemon4th generation: more pre-evolution and evolved formes
    kinda speculates on what going to be expected for the 5th generation 8]

Season

Garden Gladiator
    Years
  • These new evolutions gave old, overlooked Pokemon like Tangela and Rhydon an excuse to sneak into the new batch of Pokemon. Their presence in the PokeDex meant that newgens would have to refer to separate list of Pokemon that was "new" to them in order to get them.

That's what I've always thought. I fell in love with Lickitung the moment I saw it and still use it as part of my team even though I'm not fond of Lickilicky. The solution you ask? It's simple. I don't evolve my Lickitung. I don't need a Lickilicky because my Lickitung functions just fine.
    I am however very grateful for Lickilicky. Lickitung was nearly forgotten before it's evolution came along. Now Lickitung looks amazing by comparison. :P
    Even though most people dread a perfectly good Pokemon being "ruined" by a less then stellar evolution, I'm still praying for a Kecleon evolution. He seems like a good candidate for one.

Years
  • Right on, Season.

When someone says a new evolution "ruined" a pokemon it implies that the first pokemon is somehow damaged and changed when all that happens is that at some point, under some conditions, it can evolve. That's can, not must. It might seem silly mentioning this again, but you really can leave a pokemon unevolved. Really.

That idea, of course, runs counter to the mindsets of the fans who like to play competitively. After all, why use a Magmar when a Magmortar is stronger? But before Magmortar Magmar was the "best" in its line and for some fans a preferred pokemon for their teams because they couldn't get a pokemon that met their specific needs which was stronger or "better." Now, with Magmortar, any reasons you had to use a Magmar apply equally to a Magmortar. The only difference is in stats and design. Fans, except for maybe the most battle-focused, choose their teams in some part -big or small- on which pokemon they just like. And they liked Magmar. Now, if they want to stay competitive - and who wouldn't? - they feel like they're forced to use Magmortar. I think it's that feeling, the one of needing to evolve every pokemon that can evolve, to stay competitive which is angering fans.

Then there's the idea that the pokemon you like is now not the final pokemon in its evolutionary line. Magmar is now on par with Charmeleon (somewhat akin to the middle child, if you will), instead of being the end of the line, the Charizard.

And then it might be a matter of time. Would people mind a Magmortar if it had come out in Gen II games, on the heels of the originals?

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2011
    I agree. Pokemon is not what it used to be. I nearly **** my pants when Johto came out. Almost as excited for Hoenn. Not too excited for Sinnoh, but you know. I didn't even get Platinum, not sure if I want to have my childhood memories ruined with HG/SS either...

Ayselipera

This all seems like an attempt to introduce new players to the older Gen 1 and Gen 2 Pokemon.

Us old people could never forget the hell that was the Seafoam Islands, or crossing Tohjo Falls for the first time... but there are people whose first games were RSE/DPPt. At that stage, there was no need for them to even acknowledge the older Pokemon (aside from the typical Pidgey/Pikachu/Geodude/Zubat fare that appear in every game).

These new evolutions gave old, overlooked Pokemon like Tangela and Rhydon an excuse to sneak into the new batch of Pokemon. Their presence in the PokeDex meant that newgens would have to refer to separate list of Pokemon that was "new" to them in order to get them.

Wow I never thought of that. I always forget that there is always a new generation of players coming in who never played the original RBY and GSC since there not as available anymore. Plus if you started on RSE or DPPT you really wouldn't want to downgrade and play the older games. The older graphics can be really annoying if your're use to the Ds or Gameboy Advance graphics.

Getting back to the main topic... I chose to ignore some of the new evolutions. I will never evolve any future Rhydon into Rhyperior. For me pokemon all come down to design. Rhydon is simple Rhyperior is overdone.

I have to keep in mind that even though I hate some of the new evolutions I like a few of the others. I really like Togekiss, Yanmega, Magnezone, etc. You just need to come to the conclusion that with every generation your're going to hate some of them and your going to love the others.

SonicThrust

Ice Cream <3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    I like some of the new evolutions and I don't like some of the new evolutions. It's not like you have to like every pokemon. I know there were some pokemon I didn't like back in first gen too. There are some pokemon that I wish hadn't gotten an evolution, but I can't really see it as ruining the pokemon.

CyanideEspeon

Strange Woman
    Years
  • In the end, these complaints are more ironic than anything. People complain especially about Magnezone, which is said to have "ruined" Magneton with an uncreative evolution. This is amusing considering that even during the First Generation people complained about Magneton not being creative and just three Magnemite.

You are so right there. I feel the same way about that.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    When someone says a new evolution "ruined" a pokemon it implies that the first pokemon is somehow damaged and changed when all that happens is that at some point, under some conditions, it can evolve. That's can, not must. It might seem silly mentioning this again, but you really can leave a pokemon unevolved. Really.

That idea, of course, runs counter to the mindsets of the fans who like to play competitively. After all, why use a Magmar when a Magmortar is stronger? But before Magmortar Magmar was the "best" in its line and for some fans a preferred pokemon for their teams because they couldn't get a pokemon that met their specific needs which was stronger or "better." Now, with Magmortar, any reasons you had to use a Magmar apply equally to a Magmortar. The only difference is in stats and design. Fans, except for maybe the most battle-focused, choose their teams in some part -big or small- on which pokemon they just like. And they liked Magmar. Now, if they want to stay competitive - and who wouldn't? - they feel like they're forced to use Magmortar. I think it's that feeling, the one of needing to evolve every pokemon that can evolve, to stay competitive which is angering fans.
    And then there are people like me, the collectors that have to get all the Pokemon whether we like them or not to satisfy our compulsion for 100%.

And then it might be a matter of time. Would people mind a Magmortar if it had come out in Gen II games, on the heels of the originals?
    I can't speak for everyone else, but when Gold and Silver were released I did dislike Magby, Elekid, and Smoochum. Even at 13 or so years old, I felt their lines were "ruined" because of the baseball card analogy. I also didn't like Scizor for doing the same to Scyther.

ShatteredRose

Thanks for Noticin'
    Years
  • @ Scarf & The Scientist

I do agree with both of you. Very valid points.

And like Scarf was saying, these evolutions really only affect competitive players. But to those competitive players who complain, how are new evolutions really the "problem?" Competitive players, generally, all use the same group of pokemon because those pokemon have the elite set of stats. So the new evolutions change or "update" that group a little bit. So what? This group of pokemon used for competitive battling is still restricted (well, that is if you want to do well in competitive battling.

So, there is my complaint about competitive battling, snuck into a discussion about new evolutions. But, they are connected! The only way I see competitive battling being more diverse is to have all the pokemon's stats in the same ballpark. THEN, I would enjoy competitive battling, but that ain't going to happen, right? XD

And again, to reiterate Scarf's ideas, for those who don't battle competitive, you don't have to use the new evolutions (or pre-). Heck, I LOVE Cubone, but I don't like Marowak. Marowak isn't even a "new" evolution, but I still don't like it. And it still doesn't change the fact that I never choose to evolve my Cubone.

Use what you like, ignore the others! :)

Oh, and also, while I don't care for some of the evolutions (new, old, pre-), I like the fact that there is a variety of pokemon! I find it more realistic. I mean, look at how many species of animals there are! When it comes to pokemon, for me, the more variety I have to choose from, the better! Keep on making more pokemon!

(However, I do like it when they create new lines. That's always exciting! I must confess, it would be boring to only have evolutions of the pokemon we currently have!)

La Foudre

<3 Sneasel.
    Years

• Redstar for President 2012!

I second this.

Really Redstar, you're one of my favorite posters.

I think a few new evolutions were necessary.
    But those like the Electabuzz and Magmar evolutions weren't. {I honestly don't even know the evolutions names..}

Back