• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Too Many HMs!

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
    Am I the only one that manned it out and ran through the route without Defog?

Surf/Waterfall, Fly, and to a lesser extent, Strength, are all tolerable and at least usable in battle, but the rest of the moves were nightmares. Rock Climb combined with Rock Smash (even with 40 Base Power, it still does barely any damage, and the DEF drop isn't worth the move slot) made my Golem into an Earthquaking HM slave, and Cut took away a moveslot from my Empoleon.

I don't care what it takes, I wish there was a better alternative for some of the moves.

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
    Years
    The HMs should go by what is best, and a lot of HMs suck, but mainly a certain 4. If this were so, then Defog, Flash, Cut, and Whirlpool would be all but forgotton.

So we are left with Strength (useful ingame), Fly, (useful ingame), Rock Climb (Well, it isn't strength, but it has uses), Rock Smash (It is good for Technician pokemon like Scyther in Platinum, and Linoone/Dunsparce competitively), Surf (do I need to explain it?), and Waterfall (pretty good competitively).

Or, we would have a system of 8 party pokemon, with 2 being HM slaves. They couldn't be moved into your active party, couldn't battle, and could only be switched up at the PC. That way, you could easily get a Tentacool/Tropius lineup without mucking up your team plans.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    I really didnt care for HMs that much, but it does bug me that a few take up move slots and are useless (defog)

I don't mind teaching a Pokémon an HM that can also be useful in battles, but I don't want to waste move spaces on HMs like Defog which more or less only get you through a route .... I'd like to either return to the original set of HMs (and maybe even include a few of the newer ones that aren't as useless as Defog) or, if they must continue introducing new HMs, to see new HMs that are both useful outside and inside of battle.

The biggest annoyance I see in generation 4 is defog... I wish they had never even added fog, it's horrible unless you bring some pokemon with swift and similar moves.

Defog was pretty useless after the second time through for me. The others I gave to my HM Slaves. They should change Defog like Flash in D/P/Pl.

But yeah, this is getting pretty redundant, but I have to agree that defog is totally useless. And annoying.

Most are useless, too. Flash, Rock Smash, Whirlpool, Cut, and DeFog are the worst. I can tolerate the others at least, but those have got to go. DeFog is the worst of them all. The name bugs me.

HMs are the root of all evil today.

Seriously, I was just getting used to having to waste Flash, then they come in with a curveball and have Defog (Ruined my Staraptor).

For moves like Strength, Rock Climb, and Fly, I don't mind as much because they're powerful in-game moves that costs no effort to teach to my Pokemon. I agree that DeFog was more of an annoyance than anything, but I also enjoy the challenge of needing to carry around HMs to even out your team's powerhouses.

Imagine if GF decided to create a Pokemon that has the ability to summon fog. XD
    Too Many HMs!

Torkoal hates all of you.

Sir Sterling

The Knight in Shining Silver
    Years
    "Some of the HM's could be combined, like surf & waterfall, fly & defog, rock smash & strength (it takes strength to be able to smash rocks, duh.)"

That struck me as humorous.

I, too, am annoyed at the ever-growing amount of HMs in the Pokemon games. I was perfectly content with the original six, although I wasn't the biggest fan of Rock Smash. When they introduced Whirlpool and Dive I went with it. Then they had like two or three new HMs and I felt like I was in a complete overload.

There are three things that bother me about the HMs. The nitpickiest reason is that they took Flash out. It helped me SO much when I was in caves, and I really like accuracy-lowering moves so I never considered it a waste to teach it to my Pokemon. Also, in GSC, I liked the action of temporarily blinding the screen when you used it....heh.

The second reason is that your Pokemon cannot forget HMs unless you go to the Move Deleter. When my Pokemon tries to learn a new move, I take the opportunity really seriously and I hate having a party member know more than one HM because then it has the option to forget only TWO moves. Two moves that could be particularly useful. I would hate to give up Crunch because there was no way I could make my Feraligatr forget WHIRLPOOL. :|

The third reason is, plain and simple, because there are so many and some of them seem absolutely useless! The original six HMs I liked because they, sans Fly, were necessary in completing the game. Flash, Surf, Fly, Cut, Strength and Rock Smash were all great moves and it's understandable they were HMs. The others...well, the ability go underwater was a cool one, but after that the HMs just annoyed me. Rock Climb? To reach an item that turned out not even to be that great? This thread has also shown me that it is not very useful in battle!

Sometimes I feel the company feels pressured to create new HMs each generation to add something cool and new to the game, and they make some sort of obstacle so you have to use it. This is why they have HM slaves. :| Torkoal is going to hate me more for this, but I did not have the patience to "man out" the foggy road so I was forced to use Defog. When I read the description for the move in battle, I, once again, went " :| ". I really did not like the sound of it at all and I couldn't bring myself to teach it to my Staravia. I went to the PC and had Hoothoot, who I never planned on using, learn it instead.

Overall, the HMs are a cool way to use moves to interact with the games, but I really think there are too many now. Combining some of them does seem like a good idea.

Years
    You're climbing rocks, not controlling them. I can climb rocks, and so can many other people and animals; that makes it normal.

If HMs became regular skills or were combined, I'd have to say I'd miss my Surf an Waterfall. Maybe they could stay as moves, but the skills could just be given to a specific Pokemon over time? The could just get rid of moves like Rock Smash all together though.
    then surf should be a normal type move, by your definition. you're not controlling the water, and i can surf. other people can surf. that makes it normal, right?

i think a good solution would be to do away with HMs altogether. this will be hard to explain so bear with me:

they should keep the obstacles like rocks to smash or move, and water and all that stuff, but your pokemon don't need to learn the moves to use them outside of battle.
    for example: you can't advance north because there's a rock blocking your way. you beat the gym leader in town, and now all of your pokemon that were able to learn rock smash can use it without wasting a move slot.

no one uses these move anyway, so i think it would be a good solution. if you want to fly, just make sure you've beaten the necessary gym leader and have a flying pokemon on your team, or if you need to surf, just have a water pokemon on your team

Back