• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Too Soon?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Pokémon Blue and Pokémon Red/Green were released in 1996.
Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver were released in 1999.
Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire were released in 2002.
Pokémon Pearl and Pokémon Diamond were released in 2006.
Pokémon Black and Pokémon White were released in 2010.
Pokémon X and Pokémon Y is being released in 2013.

How is it too soon, given mostly every generation lasted roughly three years? Some of y'alls math is messed up if you think it's too soon to move on...

xRekke

Shiny Hunter
Years
  • Seen Jan 5, 2014
It's not really too soon for me.
I have already completed my white2.
So i shall play black2 while waiting for the new version to be release.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
I think thats its too soon, after all, I haven't even finished White 2.

I intially thought that it was too soon, but after awhile I find it that a new gen should come soon because 3DS doesn't have a mainstream Pokemon game, which IMO, is a major selling point.

User19sq

Pokémon Blue and Pokémon Red/Green were released in 1996.
Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver were released in 1999.
Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire were released in 2002.
Pokémon Pearl and Pokémon Diamond were released in 2006.
Pokémon Black and Pokémon White were released in 2010.
Pokémon X and Pokémon Y is being released in 2013.

How is it too soon, given mostly every generation lasted roughly three years? Some of y'alls math is messed up if you think it's too soon to move on...
I think the fact that BW2 were released along with BW is what makes it too soon. I mean, people were sorta expecting a third version for Gen V, so getting Gen VI instead threw everyone off. I think, instead of just new Pokemon and new regions, we like paying attention to the storylines more, which is what Gen V has two of. So, in a way, we still have to soak up Unova's story for a bit before heading straight ino XY's story, on a count of it being twice as large than any previous story. (Provided one doesn't count Gen I and gen II's stories as one whole story)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I think the fact that BW2 were released along with BW is what makes it too soon. I mean, people were sorta expecting a third version for Gen V, so getting Gen VI instead threw everyone off. I think, instead of just new Pokemon and new regions, we like paying attention to the storylines more, which is what Gen V has two of. So, in a way, we still have to soak up Unova's story for a bit before heading straight ino XY's story, on a count of it being twice as large than any previous story. (Provided one doesn't count Gen I and gen II's stories as one whole story)
...People were expecting a third version for Gen V? The only expectations that I really heard of was the expectation that it'd be about Ruby and Sapphire remakes. Even so, that prediction on its own doesn't really seem like a good reason to merit the rationalization that it's too soon. The sequels to the generation games are made 4 years apart from one another, anyway. Mathematically, it all seems logical to me to expect a new generation. Besides, why else would they announce that they have an announcement to make for the whole world if it would have been for a 3rd game based off of two games they released in 2010? I can't follow that.

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2024
Well I wasn't looking forward to having r/s remakes in the style of b/w because it wasn't a massive step up compared with the other two remakes, so I'd love to have r/s (hopefully) making the big step up to 3d

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
It wasn't too soon at all!
Gen III and IV lasted an extra year longer because they were releasing remakes of Gen I and Gen II instead of moving on.
Now that the two obsolete generations have been remade, there is no longer any reason to lag behind.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
When I came on here today I literally said WTF?! Lol Not in a bad way though, I just didn't expect it. I don't think it's too early, really especially since it's supposed to come out in what is almost a whole year (Plus whatever delays there might be)

Years
  • Seen Oct 16, 2021
I guess if you like gen V, the gen VI might come up too soon, but for those who didn't really enjoy it, it really isn't too early.

As for me, I really didn't like the story of B/W, B2/W2 is better, but still so I tell myself: ''I don't mind if next gen isn't release as fast as possible.

And like many other mentionned, it will be about 1 1/2 year after its released in Japan, so not too soon.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
To me, I think it just seems sudden because BW2 was released internationally 3 months ago. But then I remember we still have about 10 months to wait. The announcement itself seems early, if anything.

I think it's perfect timing, for I'll be playing Gen 6 right when I'm finished with BW2!

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
I thought that it was soon, ad this caught me by surprise but I am happy for its release. I think that GameFreak knows what it is doing, and I think that the game will have as good, if not better the quality of its predecessors.

sρεcтяα

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I have to admit I'm surprised by the sudden release of this generation, and I'm a little worried that the games are going to be rushed as a result. I do feel that they need more time to develop the games than what they're giving themselves for them to be of good quality, so I'm concerned that X and Y might take the annoying "style over substance" approach and be all pretty graphics and nothing else, like about 90% of console games these days.

Although I'm not really prepared to categorically say it's too soon for this generation until I have the game in my hands and I've seen what they've done with it. If the main game is shorter, or they've cut content (i.e. not being able to completely fill your Pokedex, or a smaller region, etc) then I'll say whether or not it was too soon for this generation. The gap between Gen I and Gen II was quite short, and to be honest I think 2 games set in Unova was 1 too many, so I'm eager to move on from that. I just hope they do a good job with it. If they do, it wasn't too soon for it.

Back