• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Eventing Question] Trainers in v19 - very basic question

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Hi everyone,

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong place, which it likely is. I cannot overemphasize how much of a beginner I am at this. I have never, ever done anything similar to creating a game before so the answer to this may already be in here (tried looking but was not sure what to search for). Even most of the terminology is beyond me. I'm doing this for my own fun! I'm only asking here because I've been searching online for the past hour and can't find the answer... Maybe it's so basic level that it's just assumed people know! They didn't count on me hahahahahaha.

So I downloaded v19 of Pokemon Essentials effectively just to have a play around. I'm following Thundaga's excellent guides on YouTube however they are a bit outdated now. I've just got to part 5, trainers, and it seems the older version of Essentials made it easier to change Trainer Types and what trainers say when they enter battle/spot you.

I've screenshot Thundaga's video below which has all the text for entering battle/post battle and how it appears now. Could someone please advise me how I edit the text and trainer types etc? I tried using the PBS Trainer types Document to create a new trainer type but when playtesting it makes me create the trainer's Pokemon from scratch and there is no trainer sprite when you enter battle. To be honest the older version looks a lot simpler.

Attachments

• Trainers in v19 - very basic question
      Essentials New.png
      33 KB · Views: 11
    • Trainers in v19 - very basic question
      Essentials Old.png
      86.6 KB · Views: 9

JulyArt

New Developer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2021
    within PBS, there's trainertypes.txt and trainers.txt. The lose text is within trainers.txt

The essential wiki is faster in terms of resolving hic-hups being had.

Defining_a_trainer

If you eventually make it through the videos, congrats for sure, as you'll learn a lot.
    I got to video 4 or 5 skipping around long pauses and so on, and then thought it was 'too ineffective' for the time consumed.

When 'learning' from someone else in that mannerism, 'bad habits'/'mode of thinking' tends to transfer at times.
    It can be much more refreshing/freeing to simply read the information regarding and decide for oneself how to think about things.

Back