• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Transfering pokemon

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
  • If it is an officially endorsed app from Nintendo, be it on Smart phone or 3DS, you will have to pay for it. We have to pay for all of the other apps they released. They want money.

That being said, an app is unlikely to happen. The transfer system will be built into the game as Gamefreak will be the ones to make it and they want all of their stuff to be on the game rather than outside.

An outside storage isn't a very good idea either as they very well may lock it just as they did with My Pokemon Ranch for the Wii. They've been pushing a on the game transfer for a long time. I don't see this changing. Gamefream will find a way to allow the 3DS game to link up with the older games, even if they force us to do something similar to the Dream Sorld where we'll have to register the fifth gen games with the sixth gen pgl system to load them to the server for generation transfer.

You're right, it will be paid. Forgot the Dream Radar is paid...

But an app is still way cheaper than another 3DS. Over here a new 3DS is very expensive, and would be redundant unless I want to trade Pokémon with myself.

I'd still like a way to make the 5th gen games still relevant, though. GF made the mistake of releasing Crystal too late, then RS got released without backwards compatibility and people went nuts. XY will be released almost exactly a year after BW2 in the Western world, and will be on a new console. The majority of Pokémon players are kids and teens without own means of paying. Not nice to ask them to buy a console and a game just a year after the latest entry in the series.

Of course, not everyone buys a Nintendo console just because of Pokémon. I bought my 3DS because of Pokémon, but there's tons of interesting games for it already and I won't use it exclusively for Pokémon. I think it's narrow-minded to buy a console just for one game, but there are people who do that, and I've done that in the past with my GBC. These people may not like having to buy a 3DS to play Pokémon, and yet another 3DS to transfer Pokémon from earlier generations to the new games. What drove me away from 3rd gen back in the day was that, to get my favorite Pokémon (Houndoom), I needed a GBA, a 3rd gen game (obviously), a GC, and Pokémon Colosseum. Since I wasn't interested in the GC, it was pointless for me to buy all that stuff just for a few Johto Pokémon, Houndoom above all.

This is why I think an app is the best idea for transferring Pokémon.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • Well regardless, if people want to play X/Y and they don't have a 3DS they're going to have to buy a new console anyways. If anything, if it's going to be the usage of two consoles, at least let it be with the DS and the 3DS, not just two 3DS'. Which is what I would assume Game Freak/Nintendo would do, otherwise it'd just be silly, as no one would go out to purchase a second 3DS just to transfer their Pokémon over.

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2021
    While I put a lot of effort into completing the National Dex I am still secretly hoping that they are going to break compatibility and revamp the EV/IV system, it would be doing a huge boon for competitive battling.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    They need to streamline the process, big time. The mini-game(s) is a pain in the butt, and needing two systems to trade your pre-Gen 6 Pokemon is utterly annoying and unnecessarily expensive. Who's got money to purchase two portables just for trading? Not me, that's for sure.

If GameFreak do indeed prefer to keep everything in-game and "in house", then they need to figure something out. An app would be the perfect solution though, regardless of being free or paid (would much prefer it to be free, though lol.) They've said it before, Pokemon is a portable experience and it's all about connectivity, so I'm sure they'll figure something out. I just hope it's not something overly complicated and that costs us a fortune.

Years
    • Seen today
    Personally, I loved the way Pokemon Ranch worked, but I wouldn't mind a Pokemon Box style storage system either (both would likely be on the Wii U). The only thing I preferred about Pokemon Box is that it isn't tied to your in-game character.

I found my old Pokemon Box memory card a while back, and, even though I'd restarted my gen III many times, I could still withdraw the Pokemon I'd stored years ago (I think there's a Pokedex requirement, but that's acceptable). Meanwhile, if I restart my Pearl version, the Pokemon on Ranch will be held hostage forever.

So, yeah, I would appreciate if they didn't choose to do that again.

Also, another thing I'd like to see is have it compatible with both Gen IV and Gen V. I have practically nothing on any of my Gen V games, but I have a complete Living Pokedex in Gen IV. It would be a massive pain to transfer all 493 to White 2 using that silly minigame, and then transfer them to Gen VI (especially if they choose to go the route of a minigame like Gen V, rather than an external Wii U application for it).

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • So, You pay and download an app. You plug in your Gen5 Game. open the app. Upload your pokemon. (whole boxes at a time! for convenience.) Then you plug in your 3DS game. Open the app. Download your pokemon.

That works. Since the pokeWalker was included in HGSS, maybe the ap would be free, or included in price of game.

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
    Years
  • So, You pay and download an app. You plug in your Gen5 Game. open the app. Upload your pokemon. (whole boxes at a time! for convenience.) Then you plug in your 3DS game. Open the app. Download your pokemon.

That works. Since the pokeWalker was included in HGSS, maybe the ap would be free, or included in price of game.

Or maybe there is a premium app that allows you to transfer many Pokemon and a free app in which you are limited to 6 pokemon at a time and a mandatory minigame

Years
  • This is why they should have kept it on the Ds system, the graphics from the images I see look like Dragon quest monster joker graphics so they could have, it would also allow better comunication and not everyone has a 3ds, but they have a regular ds.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    This is why they should have kept it on the Ds system, the graphics from the images I see look like Dragon quest monster joker graphics so they could have, it would also allow better comunication and not everyone has a 3ds, but they have a regular ds.

The DS is dead. Stores are finishing off what they have in their warehouses and Nintendo called back all excess items to be sold or destroyed from their main location. Gen 5 should have been on the 3DS, but they didn't make it for it. We were overdue for the move. They can't keep it on a system that Nintendo will not be supporting anymore. Not everyone has a regular 3DS either. I know a bunch of Pokemon Fans that quit after 3rd Gen and never picked up the 4th or 5th generation games. Some of my friends who are still fans stopped after gen 2, but still keep up with the cards and info.

or Maybe The App will be Paid and the Games come with a Code that can redeem the app for free :D

They wouldn't really be able to do that. They could include QR codes to take you to it, but it wouldn't be paid for if you bought the game. If locked into the game, the game itself doesn't interact with the market so that wouldn't allow you to buy it on the 3DS for free either.

Also take into account that Nintendo doesn't share data so if you transfer to a new 3DS, you have to rebuy the app on the new one. DLCs don't transfer over as they are saved onto your memory stick for the 3DS as well so if they released DLC you'd have to rebuy all of it if you play on another 3DS.

Romaov

Orra
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2016
    I seriously don't hope they're gonnna force you to download your pokémon to your game. That would basically screw me over so hard because I can't access Wi-Fi on my DS Lite with my current router and I don't have a wi-fi USB connector for the DS lite...

No it wouldn't be a app where you need diect wifi at all. Just download transfer done.

Years
  • Transfer from B&W2 - X&Y

Hello everyone,

I was wondering f it was made official that you will be able to transfer Pokemon from Black and White 2 to X and Y. I'm trying to see if it is worth filling my Black 2 Pokedex, I've always done it in previous generations. If anyone has any insight I'd be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Armando.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I hope we can. They haven't made a new generation without having something to transfer between gens other that 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. We might have to download something from the Nintendo Store though.

Years
  • Yeah last time from Black 1 to Black 2 I only transferred Pokemon I couldn't get in Black 2. Leaving the ones that i could obtain to do so later.

But I haven't obtained those yet, and was wondering if I should for X and Y.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • Hi xxarmondo, I went ahead and merged your thread with the pre-existing Transferring Pokémon thread. Make sure to search to see if a thread already exists on the topic you want to discuss. Feel free to continue the discussion here!

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Too be honest, I wouldn't mind having to catch all the pokemon again, but it would be a pain for all the events and shinies. I think they will find a way though. It would take out all the hacks and stuff out of the game play until they start making 3ds Action replays.

And yes BW should have been on the 3ds. We have only had one generation per system and 1 remake after Hoenn. The American games were RB on Gameboy. GSC on Color. RSE and FRLG were all on GBA. DPPt, HGSS, BW and BW2 were all on normal DS. They were probably trying to get 1 last huge sell for the normal DS before the moved to 3DS.

I am pretty sure GF will find a way. This was probably a main reason why we didn't get RSE remake before the 3DS. You can catch a large chunk of pokemon in Hoenn alone.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Too be honest, I wouldn't mind having to catch all the pokemon again, but it would be a pain for all the events and shinies. I think they will find a way though. It would take out all the hacks and stuff out of the game play until they start making 3ds Action replays.

And yes BW should have been on the 3ds. We have only had one generation per system and 1 remake after Hoenn. The American games were RB on Gameboy. GSC on Color. RSE and FRLG were all on GBA. DPPt, HGSS, BW and BW2 were all on normal DS. They were probably trying to get 1 last huge sell for the normal DS before the moved to 3DS.

I am pretty sure GF will find a way. This was probably a main reason why we didn't get RSE remake before the 3DS. You can catch a large chunk of pokemon in Hoenn alone.

GBC counts as Game Boy, it's an enhanced GB. Gold and Silver could be played on all GB models, but obviously had colors when played on a GBC.

BW is in a similar situation. It's compatible with all DS variants but features enhanced performance on the DSi. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a DSi exclusive but since the DSi wasn't all that great they opened it for all DS consoles.

The biggest problem isn't AR but PokéGen. Making a legal Pokémon in PokéGen is easy and you don't even need AR codes to send it to your game. However, considering the 3DS isn't cracked yet, there's nothing the hackers can do, because it's being implied the data structure of a single Pokémon on the 3DS games is much different, quite like the transition from GBA to DS.

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2016
    look they r gonna have some kind of tranfer thing, theres no way they wouldnt do something like this, cause at the end of pokemon games and throught out the game is to complete the pokedex 100%, so with out being able to tranfer pokes in or allowing u to capture all the older pokes after the elite 4 would defeat this goal and this goal as been around since gen 1

Back