• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Triples trick room team?

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    Hey again folks! So triples is my favorite type of match and I usually like teams based on a theme (type, weather, certain gimmick etc).

So I'm thinking of a trick room team for triples, since 5 turns is generally enough to decide the match unless they're stalling like mad.

Here's my initial team plan with comments under each one, issues as a whole with the team at the end.

1) Porygon 2 @ eviolite
    Nature: Quiet
    Ability: Download
    EV's: 252 Sp.Att, 252 HP, 4 Sp. Def

Moves:
    Trick room
    Ice beam
    Tri attack
    Recover

So this guy is going to be a setter of trick room, has the bulk to give it considerable staying power, gone with ice beam due to what seems a prevalence of dragons when I play at the moment.

2) Cresselia @ Leftovers
    Nature: Relaxed
    EV's: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp.D

Moves:
    Trick room
    Moonlight
    Ice beam/Psyshock
    Light screen

Another trick room setter, might be a bit fast once its set, but I'm hoping negative speed nature and no investment makes it slower then many of the speed invested powerful sweepers you often see, so it will get to go first against a fair few threats. Would support the offensive mons (who are generally better on the physical defense side), by setting up light screen. Might use Cresselia as the initial setter of trick room and set up the screen

3) Ursaring @ Flame orb
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Guts
    EV's: 252 Att, 252 HP, 4 Def

Moves:
    Facade
    Protect
    Crunch
    Close combat

So the main idea here is to protect first turn while trick room is activated and to allow flame orb to burn him. Then he fires off Guts boosted Facade for what should be pretty impressive damage output, crunch is for ghosts, combat for steel/rock/.

4) Conkeldurr @ Life orb
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Sheer force
    EV's: 252 Att, 120 hp, 136 Sp.Def

Moves:
    Drain punch
    Ice punch
    Fire punch
    Thunder punch

Pretty usual fare I think, just a plain old powerhouse. Went for coverage over mach punch since trick room should be up anyway.

5) Magnezone @ Balloon
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Magnet pull
    EV's: 252 Sp. Att, 252 HP, 4 Def

Moves:
    Protect
    Thunderbolt
    Flash cannon
    HP fire

This would be the opening special attacker to open with Ursaring, protect on first turn for trick room set up.

6) Chandelure @ Expert belt
    Nature: Quiet
    Ability: Flash fire
    EV's: 252 Sp. att, 252 hp, 4 Def.

Moves:
    Fire blast
    Shadow ball
    Energy ball
    HP fighting

Next special attacker, since less switching for choice specs changing is going to happen most likely, I went with expert belt and gave it coverage.

So overall queries on the team....

So the issue is there's so much potential chose for trick room abusers tbh, these are just potential ideas I had. I'm not whether it would be better to use Slowking in place of one of my setters to avoid being taunted?

I'm assuming Chandelure might just be slow enough with a negative nature/no investment?

I'm not sure about my choice on the special attackers tbh, just went with ones I know are pretty powerful but slow. Mega Ampharos might be a superior option to Magnezone? Certainly packs more punch at any rate.

I've not made a trick room team before tbh, tried to balance two setters, two physical attackers, two special attackers, so if this is horrific do let me know haha.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    Lil bump for the team. (Though I feel bad as this is still on page 1, so I accept any due punishment)

Back