• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trying to Get Into Manga

Years
    Alright, I need some advice. I've been trying to get into manga for the past year or two but it hasn't worked. Then again, I haven't tried to hard either. I'm a big fan of Japanese culture (leaning the language sophomore year). I was just wondering if someone could recommend a good manga to me.

I love Ghost in the Shell, but I have only seen the Stand Alone Complex shows and OVA. Is the manga for GitS like that, or what?

I kind of want a manga that has action, character personality, deep story, slight romance (NO explicit ones. Naked japanese drawings will make me a sad panda) and as for the setting, I don't care but if there are any with a punk kind of attitude I'd like to know those too, maybe some of the lesser known ones.

If you cared to read all that, thanks. I look forward to reading some good recommendations and getting into at least one (not trying to become an otaku).

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    I can't say for GitS, I haven't read the manga.

But a good comedy you might like is Hayate no Gotoku., or Hayate the Combat Butler. There's only 6 mangas out so far, so you're not too far behind.

Another good one is Full Metal Alchemist. It's got a completely different lot line than the anime, so it's always nice :3 (so far, FMA is at 15 volumes though)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Deep story hmm? I ain't really sure what'd classify as "deep" (I'm assuming typical shounen works don't? XD), but if you like anime, why not start by reading the manga for those series (if any). I did the same for One Piece (read it), and now I'm addicted to manga. Usually, if the manga came first, it's better.

Well anyway, if you just do a search on https://www.mangaupdates.com and you should find something applicable to your interests. I myself would suggest something, but I don't think they're what you're looking for.

Actually, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles would probably be something you'd like.

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
    If you want a good Mecha manga Full Metal Panic. Only 8 or 9 volumes in the main run.

If you want a extended romance manga with a deep plot, go with Karo Kano. Great series.

Those are the main ones I've hit. I've just finished Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days and I would say that it is more for the EVA fan, not the new manga reader.

Tamaki

☆ Puh puh puh poker face ☆
    Years
    I agree with mewthree, Full Metal Panic is a VERY good series. Death Note also has a great story line, I reccomend that.

Years
    Alright:

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I did a library search, and I reserved a copy of Full Metal Panic and Full Metal Alchemist (what's with the full metal?), both Vol. 1's. They didn't have any Tsubasa copies, but that look's interesting so I'll keep looking. This should keep me set for a while, but if anyone has any other recommendations, I'm listening.

Thanks again;)

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2011
    Love Hina is always a good suggestion. That and GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka.

Samurai X

La Dolce Vita
    Years
    Look into Rurouni Kenshin, it's already done with 28 volumes but this manga has everything you listed. You won't notice the deep story until the second half though, but trust me this is a good series.

.Azelf

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2008
    I'd say pick up Death Note or Naruto. :> Though, Naruto will never end. =[ That's the reason I said Naruto in the first place. It goes on and on and never ends.

benji

ウサギちゃん!
    Years
    You're trying to get into manga? I was unwillingly dragged into my manga obsession! >>;

Heh, as for manga titles, I agree Tsubasa is really good (actually, anything by CLAMP is ^^). It's almost over, though, I think... can't wait to see the ending!

Back