• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Two Questions!

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2020
    I'm having a little bit of trouble with a hack I'm currently working on and I can't quite seem to find the solution with any searching. Hopefully somebody can help!

1. How do I add more tiles? I know how to actually add tiles into the game, but there's very limited space on the available tilesets. Here's an image that hopefully makes more sense.

https://i.imgur.com/tqD5X05.png

2. It seems like my map connections aren't working even though, in the editor, it shows that the maps are lined up perfectly. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    1. You can create new tilesets if you want a completely new tileset for different areas, but unfortunately at this moment of writing, it is not simple to expand tilesets to fit more tiles in. I think it requires a lot more knowledge than most of the hackers on this site possess, so you may want to think about having to live with less tiles than you want, unfortunately.

2. If you are using version 1.95 of Advance Map, that may be why, as it is an Open Beta so bugged a little. Try with version 1.92 and reply :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2020
    Aw, that's too bad about the tiles. I guess I'll have to work around it.

Yep, I switched over and it looks like its working a little better. It would be nice if 1.92 had the feature where I could see the maps as I change the offset like 1.95, but Im not complaining! Thanks for the help!

I do have another question, though. Occasionally (probably 6 times out of 10) when I exit a house, the screen just turns black. The music still plays, but its like the rest of the game just freezes. Any help there?

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • 1. You can create new tilesets if you want a completely new tileset for different areas, but unfortunately at this moment of writing, it is not simple to expand tilesets to fit more tiles in. I think it requires a lot more knowledge than most of the hackers on this site possess, so you may want to think about having to live with less tiles than you want, unfortunately.

2. If you are using version 1.95 of Advance Map, that may be why, as it is an Open Beta so bugged a little. Try with version 1.92 and reply :)

1.95 works fine for map connections. I use 1.95 95% of the time for my hack and never have ANY problems (did at first when I was a noob) but as long as you have auto search for offsets off and know what everything means, there isn't any bugs like people claim 1.95 to have, at least for Emerald (which people argue is the worse with 1.95 but it's easy).

Actually here's a video of it working that I quickly made:
    [hd]-NkJXnMGWZA[/hd]

Anyways,

Aw, that's too bad about the tiles. I guess I'll have to work around it.

Yep, I switched over and it looks like its working a little better. It would be nice if 1.92 had the feature where I could see the maps as I change the offset like 1.95, but Im not complaining! Thanks for the help!

I do have another question, though. Occasionally (probably 6 times out of 10) when I exit a house, the screen just turns black. The music still plays, but its like the rest of the game just freezes. Any help there?

First if you want more tiles for a tileset, hack emerald. 128x256 pixels. A lot more space per tileset. Also you could get that black thing due to warping to a wrong map? Post images bro if you want better help. I can say when I open a menu, nothing happens but that's vague as hell lol. Help us help you by showing pics. Show the results in GBA and the warps in amap and their stats that correlate with them.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2020
    1.95 works fine for map connections. I use 1.95 95% of the time for my hack and never have ANY problems (did at first when I was a noob) but as long as you have auto search for offsets off and know what everything means, there isn't any bugs like people claim 1.95 to have, at least for Emerald (which people argue is the worse with 1.95 but it's easy).
    Mhm, I did exactly what you did in the video, but it still doesn't work. I just continue to walk into a wall of trees (the boundary). Here's a screenshot:

https://i.imgur.com/JSHykGn.png

First if you want more tiles for a tileset, hack emerald. 128x256 pixels. A lot more space per tileset. Also you could get that black thing due to warping to a wrong map? Post images bro if you want better help. I can say when I open a menu, nothing happens but that's vague as hell lol. Help us help you by showing pics. Show the results in GBA and the warps in amap and their stats that correlate with them.
    The warping problem is off and on. I just started with a fresh ROM and it hasn't happened so far yet. I had made sure I was warping to the correct map before, though. Like I said, the screen would turn black 6 times out of 10, but it worked the other 4 times. Hopefully it was just some kind of temporary glitch. Thanks!

I've read that emerald has different commands than FireRed and most of them aren't as simple. Is this wrong? I wouldn't mind switching over to Emerald, but if its a lot different than FR, I might just have to take my chances hahaha. That said, I've figured out you can replace some of the premade tiles and that the tilesets don't carry over from map to map. That opens up a loooot more options as far as tiles go.

Thanks again.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • Mhm, I did exactly what you did in the video, but it still doesn't work. I just continue to walk into a wall of trees (the boundary). Here's a screenshot:

https://i.imgur.com/JSHykGn.png

The warping problem is off and on. I just started with a fresh ROM and it hasn't happened so far yet. I had made sure I was warping to the correct map before, though. Like I said, the screen would turn black 6 times out of 10, but it worked the other 4 times. Hopefully it was just some kind of temporary glitch. Thanks!

I've read that emerald has different commands than FireRed and most of them aren't as simple. Is this wrong? I wouldn't mind switching over to Emerald, but if its a lot different than FR, I might just have to take my chances hahaha. That said, I've figured out you can replace some of the premade tiles and that the tilesets don't carry over from map to map. That opens up a loooot more options as far as tiles go.

Thanks again.

No emerald and firered are the same commands. Just different attributes to them. Like if you want to do a showmap special in a script, it'd be special 0xFE in Emerald and might be special 0xA3 in FR. Idk. But those kinds of things are already documented and are easier for use. Plus emerald has a lot more features and is quickly getting a lot more resources, like for instance we have tag battles being done right now. You can now do tag battles as many times as you want. Something that isn't in FR. It's just a better rom to hack IMO. Need anymore help head into the IRC chat in my sig. There are a lot of people in there usually willing to help. Also I'd have to see your rom and see why it's not working for the connections cus it should.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2020
    No emerald and firered are the same commands. Just different attributes to them. Like if you want to do a showmap special in a script, it'd be special 0xFE in Emerald and might be special 0xA3 in FR. Idk. But those kinds of things are already documented and are easier for use. Plus emerald has a lot more features and is quickly getting a lot more resources, like for instance we have tag battles being done right now. You can now do tag battles as many times as you want. Something that isn't in FR. It's just a better rom to hack IMO. Need anymore help head into the IRC chat in my sig. There are a lot of people in there usually willing to help. Also I'd have to see your rom and see why it's not working for the connections cus it should.

Sweet, I'll see about converting over then. Im having a little trouble finding any documentation of the commands, though.

Here's the DL to the connection problem (the warp problem just started happening again, too -_-).

[REMOVED FOR LINKING ROMS]

Last edited by a moderator:
    Back