• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

U.S. House vote repeals "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"

Years
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12005773

BBC News said:
    The Democratic-led House voted 250-175, sending the bill, which is backed by President Barack Obama, to the Senate for approval.
    The vote comes a week after Senate Republicans blocked a similar measure to end the "don't ask, don't tell" policy, which came into force in 1993.

The policy forbids gay soldiers from acknowledging their sexual orientation.

The law is "the only law in the country that requires people to be dishonest or be fired if they choose to be honest", said Democratic Representative Jared Polis, of Colorado.

Democrats who support repeal say they are committed to getting the 60 votes in the 100-member Senate needed to pass the legislation during the lame duck session of Congress, referring to the time between November's congressional elections and the January start of the new Congress.

But Democrats face tough opposition from Republicans on the measure and an already busy agenda before the end of the year, including finishing work on legislation to finance the government and ratification of a nuclear arms treaty with Russia.
    A Senate aide told Reuters news agency that Democrats were "very confident" the measure would get at least 60 votes in the Senate.
    Roughly 13,000 men and women have been expelled from the military under the 17-year-old policy implemented under Democratic President Bill Clinton.

Mr Obama has made repealing the policy a key part of his agenda since taking office in 2009.

Earlier this month, the Pentagon released a report which found that allowing openly gay troops would have little, if any, impact on the readiness and cohesion of America's armed forces.

Now remember, the repeal isn't out of the woods yet. the motion to repeal must also be passed in the Senate, where a passing vote will be harder to secure. But still, a step in the right direction.

Discuss/Thoughts?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    It took this long for something Obama could have done with the stroke of a pen. Racial discrimination in the military was ended by Executive Order, but Obama dragged his feet on this issue and his administration ruthlessly defended DADT in court. This is why so many people don't vote smh.

Years
    It took this long for something Obama could have done with the stroke of a pen. Racial discrimination in the military was ended by Executive Order, but Obama dragged his feet on this issue and his administration ruthlessly defended DADT in court. This is why so many people don't vote smh.

No, he wanted DADT repealed legislatively, not judicially, so the Roberts Court and the House/Senate Republicans couldn't do their usual routine of obstruct and say no, and over turn the repeal.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    No, he wanted DADT repealed legislatively, not judicially, so the Roberts Court and the House/Senate Republicans couldn't do their usual routine of obstruct and say no, and over turn the repeal.

I never said judicially. He has the power to do it through through Executive Order. An Executive Order is an order issued directly from the President of the United States. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_order_(United_States)) That has nothing to do with the judicial branch. President Harry Truman ended racial segregation in the military via Executive Order, so Obama can do the same with DADT. He is commander-in-chief of the military. If he says to stop enforcing DADT, all military officers will have to oblige.

Here's what I'm talking about:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_9981

Years
    I never said judicially. He has the power to do it through through Executive Order. An Executive Order is an order issued directly from the President of the United States. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_order_(United_States)) That has nothing to do with the judicial branch. President Harry Truman ended racial segregation in the military via Executive Order, so Obama can do the same with DADT. He is commander-in-chief of the military. If he says to stop enforcing DADT, all military officers will have to oblige.

Here's what I'm talking about:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_9981

I'm quite familiar with what an Executive Order is, thank you.

Yes, FDR also used an Executive Order to enslave and strip thousands of American citizens of their basic human rights during WWII, not a very becoming trait of an elected democracy.

And why would he even sign one to begin with? Conservative pundits everywhere would have a total field day, taking political jabs by saying he is an Imperial President and a totalitarian, etc etc.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018

I'm quite familiar with what an Executive Order is, thank you.

Yes, FDR also used an Executive Order to enslave and strip thousands of American citizens of their basic human rights during WWII, not a very becoming trait of an elected democracy.

And why would he even sign one to begin with? Conservative pundits everywhere would have a total field day, taking political jabs by saying he is an Imperial President and a totalitarian, etc etc.

He would sign one ending DADT because LGBT Americans put their faith in him when they voted to elect as President by large margins of America's LGBT vote. His administration has done the complete opposite of his campaign promise on DADT so far.

And what FDR did via Executive Order really doesn't have anything to do with what other Presidents have done. I'm quite aware of what he did.

Years
    He would sign one ending DADT because LGBT Americans put their faith in him when they voted to elect as President by large margins of America's LGBT vote. His administration has done the complete opposite of his campaign promise on DADT so far.

And what FDR did via Executive Order really doesn't have anything to do with what other Presidents have done. I'm quite aware of what he did.

Barack Obama has employed and nominated more openly LGBT people to government positions that any other President in history, for starters. Repealing DADT is only part of that promise, and he's working on getting that done. And if his campaign doesn't follow through on that campaign promise, it will be because of Senate Republican stall tactics, filibustering until the new session of congress begins, not because he isn't trying or because he's ignoring that section of his base.

But what FDR did has plenty to do with other Presidents, because it forever associates Executive Orders with negative abuses of power.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018

Barack Obama has employed and nominated more openly LGBT people to government positions that any other President in history, for starters. Repealing DADT is only part of that promise, and he's working on getting that done. And if his campaign doesn't follow through on that campaign promise, it will be because of Senate Republican stall tactics, filibustering until the new session of congress begins, not because he isn't trying or because he's ignoring that section of his base.

But what FDR did has plenty to do with other Presidents, because it forever associates Executive Orders with negative abuses of power.

Why wait for Congress to do something you can do yourself? If he's serious about repealing DADT; he can at least start by not having his administration defend it it court.

da_absol

All-American Emo
    Years
    I personally think the Don't Ask don't Tell policy is an excellent law. Why/ Military personnel live in the same barracks, shower together, and etc. If someone was gay and everybody else (who was straight) knew about it, they would feel uncomfortable and it would cause tension between inmates. Plus, you aren't supposed to have romantic attachments in the line of duty so i think it's better no one know you're gay. I personally and bisexual leaning toward lez, and that wut it think so..anyways

Years
    I personally think the Don't Ask don't Tell policy is an excellent law. Why/ Military personnel live in the same barracks, shower together, and etc. If someone was gay and everybody else (who was straight) knew about it, they would feel uncomfortable and it would cause tension between inmates. Plus, you aren't supposed to have romantic attachments in the line of duty so i think it's better no one know you're gay. I personally and bisexual leaning toward lez, and that wut it think so..anyways

Actually, that's not the case. The Pentagon just wrapped up a study of that, and the majority of soldiers were not bothered by that fact, which allowed for the vote to happen in the first place. Note the bottom paragraph.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12005773

And discrimination under that law is not "excellent". It's unlawful discrimination.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2015

There are so many things wrong here. I agree with Live that the DADT policy is unlawful discrimination. These are patriotic Americans who want nothing more than to protect their country and values. They deserve to stand next to their fellow Americans and serve as equals. To say that because you were born a certain way, you should be treated differently is completely demeaning.

And another thing, you're views of homosexuals is quite ignorant. Just because someone is attracted to their same sex does not mean they are attract to everyone of their respected sex. Being gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgendered does not mean you're different from heterosexuals.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Why wait for Congress to do something you can do yourself? If he's serious about repealing DADT; he can at least start by not having his administration defend it it court.
    Gotta say, I agree 100% with you. Obama preaches about change all the time, and a step the biggest towards change is eliminating all types of discrimination through any means possible. I don't understand why he would rely on a vote in legislature to do that himself, nor do I understand why a vote is needed in the first place, for reasons you stated.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    Gotta say, I agree 100% with you. Obama preaches about change all the time, and a step the biggest towards change is eliminating all types of discrimination through any means possible. I don't understand why he would rely on a vote in legislature to do that himself, nor do I understand why a vote is needed in the first place, for reasons you stated.
    Because if he'd signed an executive order, the Republicans would have accused him of abusing his power (even though he has every right to sign an executive order) and the next Republican president could just reinstate DADT with an executive order of his own. If Congress passes it, it's law and isn't easy to repeal. You can blame Obama for a lot, but blame for dragging their feet on the DADT repeal falls pretty much solely on Congress. :/

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    My question is simply why was this law implemented in the first place? What difference does being gay make to being able to fight. Wait, scratch that; what difference does admitting to being gay make to being able to fight.
    Do they allow gay women in the US military?

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years

Just because you are attracted to a certain sex doesn't mean you are necessarily attracted to all members of that sex.

My question is simply why was this law implemented in the first place? What difference does being gay make to being able to fight. Wait, scratch that; what difference does admitting to being gay make to being able to fight.
    Do they allow gay women in the US military?

It was enacted because the previous policy was basically: "Find all the gay soldiers and discharge them", this one was definitely a step in the right direction. And why would gay women be different than gay men? All homosexual people serving in the US military are subject to the DADT policy.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Because if he'd signed an executive order, the Republicans would have accused him of abusing his power (even though he has every right to sign an executive order) and the next Republican president could just reinstate DADT with an executive order of his own. If Congress passes it, it's law and isn't easy to repeal. You can blame Obama for a lot, but blame for dragging their feet on the DADT repeal falls pretty much solely on Congress. :/

Still, signing an order would be a step in the right direction. Slavery was abolished first by executive order, and then it was further abolished by the legislature. I find no excuse as to why Obama can't repeal DADT with the stroke of a fan. He's one of his most loyal voting bases after African-Americans down.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Just because you are attracted to a certain sex doesn't mean you are necessarily attracted to all members of that sex.
    Thing is, that assumption is so prevalent among average persons, problems could occur.

Just saying, though.

Last edited:
    Back