• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Umbreon as a Viable Offense

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2009
    I am building a team to take on Tate and Lizzie in Emerald and i am including Umbreon (cuz he is cool).
    Normally the basic moveset for competive play is

Baton Pass
    Mean Look
    Toxic
    Confuse Ray/ Charm

Reasoning I hear is cuz his offense stats are low and his def is high.
    But is there a way to improve his offense stats or better yet use him for something other than a wall ( i have skarmory for that)?

Also, how can you teach Umbreon Crunch (cool STAB atk)
    Skull Bash ( win win scenario)
    Shadow Ball

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    You can't really do much with Unbreon as your offense, but since it's your team, I'll help you.

Umbreon as a Viable Offense

@ Leftovers
    - Taunt
    - Substitute
    - Return
    - Moonlight

This is all I could think of really. Taunt as a lead; gets the foe's lead stuck using the same move. You can take this advantage to Substitute up, along with a Return. Moonlight to heal.

§

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2009
    Umbreon has nowhere to go in offense. Really, it's sub-par HP doesn't even let it work as an efficient wall. Normally you want it to Baton Pass a Mean Look, Baton Pass a Wish or attack with Toxic. There is really no use other than that. Its offensive stats are pretty horrible and its offensive movepool isn't that great. You only want to use it for what its good at, Baton Passing stuff.

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2009
    You can't really do much with Unbreon as your offense, but since it's your team, I'll help you.

Umbreon as a Viable Offense

@ Leftovers
    - Taunt
    - Substitute
    - Return
    - Moonlight

This is all I could think of really. Taunt as a lead; gets the foe's lead stuck using the same move. You can take this advantage to Substitute up, along with a Return. Moonlight to heal.

Is a battle with that movepool going to take long? If a battle goes on longer than 8 mins i tend to switch or try a diff strategy. :/

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    I can't really tell you if it's going to take long or not.

I guess you can try and if it works, it works. If it sucks, well you can try something else.

JollyRoger25

Dark Type Master
    Years
  • When I want to use Umbreon as a offensive force I use the standard Dark move, Faint Attack or Bite, here's my Umbreon and its movepool, it works pretty well for me.
    Umbreon
    @Blackglasses
    -Psychic
    -Faint Attack
    -Bite
    -Moonlight

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
  • If you're only going to be using it in-game I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just teach it anything that seems good (I usually go with either Faint Attack/Bite along with Moonlight and whatever else I'd like) and it should do just fine.

Metalchic

▄█ 'M ▓▒
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2009
    if you must use umbreon in this battle use Faint attack or Bite, confuse ray and shadow ball would make a good combo, seriously for this battle i suggest a steel pokemon with good offence (i used Aggron) youd probably be best off useing this:

Umbreon lv35~ | Lairon lv35~
    Confuse Ray |||| Metal Claw
    Calm Mind |||||| Iron Defence
    Shadow Ball |||| Take Down
    Faint Attack |||| Rain Dance

Confuse and Calm Mind will help you keep pummeling them with Faint attack and Shadow Ball, Metal Claw will help take them down to as they have low defence compared to thier sp.def, Rain Dance to keep Solrock from useing Sunny Day witch will hurt with flamethrower and solarbeam on either lairon or umbreon. and power down Lunatone's Moonlight.

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    if you must use umbreon in this battle use Faint attack or Bite, confuse ray and shadow ball would make a good combo, seriously for this battle i suggest a steel pokemon with good offence (i used Aggron) youd probably be best off useing this:

Umbreon lv35~ | Lairon lv35~
    Confuse Ray |||| Metal Claw
    Calm Mind |||||| Iron Defence
    Shadow Ball |||| Take Down
    Faint Attack |||| Rain Dance

Confuse and Calm Mind will help you keep pummeling them with Faint attack and Shadow Ball, Metal Claw will help take them down to as they have low defence compared to thier sp.def, Rain Dance to keep Solrock from useing Sunny Day witch will hurt with flamethrower and solarbeam on either lairon or umbreon. and power down Lunatone's Moonlight.
    Far too underleveled for Tate and Liza. Larion would be down before the the first four turns are over. Claydol's Earthquake is a super effective STAB, so yeah; And why is Rain Dance in there? It makes it even worse.

Calm Mind for the Umbreon is not good since I assume you're primary attack move would be Shadow Ball which is a physical in R/S/E. If you really want to get somewhere in this battle, bring an appropriate second Pokemon; A Swampert fits this job perfectly, but make sure you train your Pokemon to atleast level forty. Level thirty-five is way to weak.

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2009
    Far too underleveled for Tate and Liza. Larion would be down before the the first four turns are over. Claydol's Earthquake is a super effective STAB, so yeah; And why is Rain Dance in there? It makes it even worse.

Calm Mind for the Umbreon is not good since I assume you're primary attack move would be Shadow Ball which is a physical in R/S/E. If you really want to get somewhere in this battle, bring an appropriate second Pokemon; A Swampert fits this job perfectly, but make sure you train your Pokemon to atleast level forty. Level thirty-five is way to weak.

I agree their Claydols earthquake makes nearly all steel pokemon except Skarmoy null, but how do you teach umbreon Shadow Ball?

When I want to use Umbreon as a offensive force I use the standard Dark move, Faint Attack or Bite, here's my Umbreon and its movepool, it works pretty well for me.
    Umbreon
    @Blackglasses
    -Psychic
    -Faint Attack
    -Bite
    -Moonlight

I forgot about Blackglasses thx, and is there no way to teach Umbreon Crunch w/o cheat? Two dark attacks at the same power seems like a waste, I may use faint attack as it is the most reliable, and drop Bite for Calm Mind. I think the EV Spread for this can be sp.atk and def. thx agn this was a help though

Last edited:

Metalchic

▄█ 'M ▓▒
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2009

whoops, sorry i was tired and not paying attention i thought they were asking about R/S ^^;;;

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    Umbreon is not such defensive pokemon. but it can kick ass if you focus on Att.. he has really good defense and if EV trained right it can be a great wall... my unbreon on collosseum walled whole nascar's team..

Back