• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphics] Unable to replace Venusaur by Pikachu on LeafGreen's title screen on decomp version

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2024
    Hello all.

As the title says, I want to replace Venusaur's sprite and cry by Pikachu's, but the assembly says my picture is too big or something like that... When I take a peek at Venusaur's file from the dissassembly, it is quite messed-up. Must I do the same to the Pikachu Sprite? If yes, then which tool(s) can help me? I'll post pics soon as I am at a friend's house right now. Oh, and does anyone know the font used for the FRLG logo? I would need it for the Title screen as well.

セケツ

ポケハック初心者
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    As the title says, I want to replace Venusaur's sprite and cry by Pikachu's, but the assembly says my picture is too big or something like that... When I take a peek at Venusaur's file from the dissassembly, it is quite messed-up. Must I do the same to the Pikachu Sprite? If yes, then which tool(s) can help me?
    Well, maybe there would be something wrong in what I would say below just because I HAVE NOT got any deeper enough research in the decomp of pokefirered & leafgreen. However, since I had succeeded in modifying the title screen of PokeEmerald & have some old and basic knowledge left in the binary rom hacking field. I think maybe some of my advice could give you a little help.
    Here is one basic concept that most of the images lying in the graphic folder & needed when it comes to build the ROM should either be given one specific size due to the OAM (Sprites), or be divided into TILES in 8x8 at first, then combined by the tilemap file in ".bin" format (Backgrounds). Actually, the Venusaur presented in the title screen is something of the second kind, lying under the path: "graphics/title_screen/leafgreen". Therefore, it is consisted by 2 files: the tiles "box_art_mon.png", and the tilemap, "box_art_mon.bin".
    If you want to replace it to whatever you want, just prepare to use one image editor that could divide the whole image into many 8x8 tiles & combined all of them into a single image to replace the original "box_art_mon.png" file, and then using the tilemap editors such as NTME or tilemap studio to open the "box_art_mon.bin", insert the changed .png tiles file and then recreate that picture by tiles again.
    What's more, You have mentioned in your post that your picture is too "big". I think there may be something wrong with your upper limitation of the tiles. Although the image of Venusor is only a combination of tiles & tilemap. This DOES NOT means it is not limited. The limitation for its tiles number is lying in the file named "graphics_file_rules.mk". If your newly imported image has more tile than the original, it is necessary to change the number of tiles in that file in order to make it built in & displayed successfully.
    Here is the specific line that you need to change, and what you only need to do is to search that line & change that "123" to the actual number for the tiles of your newly added image:
    Code:
    $(TITLESCREENGFXDIR)/leafgreen/box_art_mon.4bpp: %.4bpp: %.png
    	$(GFX) $< $@ -num_tiles 123 -Wnum_tiles
    Oh, and does anyone know the font used for the FRLG logo? I would need it for the Title screen as well.
    And the last, for the font of the version banner, I searched through the internet and luckily got an answer pointing out one font named "Helvetica Neue Condensed Black", which is probably used for the English version banner in both FireRed & LeafGreen. The only thing you need to do is to install it to your PC, and use one image editor like PhotoShop that could make a image contain the bending string of the characters. And then resize it to the proper size in order to be pasted & cover the original banner in the image file named "game_title_logo.png". Moreover, you can also feel free to change where should the logo appears in the screen by changing the file "game_title_logo.bin" by those 2 tilemap editors I mentioned before.
    And that's pretty much of it. (Maybe...)

Last edited:
    Back