• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unable to Walk

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2018
    Hello, i've been doing a lot of scripting/mapping lately, and when I was testing some of the events in the professors lab, i walked inside the door and appeared inside the lab. I could turn, but i couldn't walk anywhere except backwards to leave the lab. When I would leave the lab, i would get trapped on the door tile.

I've gone over it multiple times, and I can conclude it's not the fault of any events inside the lab, nor tile permission errors.

Has this happened to anyone? If so, (and you fixed it) what did you do?

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2017
    This isn't as much a Pokémon Essentials question as it is an RPG Maker question, and it's relatively hard for us to help you out without any screenshot or step-by-step explanation of your events.

i walked inside the door and appeared inside the lab. I could turn, but i couldn't walk anywhere except backwards to leave the lab.

This indicates that the tile you transferred the player to isn't actually passable (like a wall). Open the Tileset Editor and make sure you've properly set up your tile to allow four directional movement.

Unable to Walk

Note how the floor tiles are marked as "O", meaning the player can walk over them.

The reason you were however still able to exit is because the touch event that would transfer you back outside was also placed on a non-passable tile.
    It's a little confusing at first, but try to remember this when it comes to touch events:
    • When a touch event is placed on a passable tile, it'll active when you WALK OVER it.
    • When a touch event is placed on a non-passable tile, it'll active when you BUMP INTO it.
    • When a touch event has the "Through" checkbox ticked, it'll always only activate when you WALK OVER it.

In your case, the touch event was likely placed on a non-passable tile so you didn't literally have to walk over it in order to activate it.
    Unable to Walk

The floormat tile in vanilla Pokémon Essentials works the same way, which you may've copied over. The touch event is placed on the "X" part, meaning you don't actually have to walk OVER it to activate it.

When I would leave the lab, i would get trapped on the door tile.
    It's possible you only partially copied over a door event from a Pokémon Essentials example map, or tried to make your own but it isn't done yet.
    In most RPG games, the player is actually not transferred to the door event, but 1 tile below it to make it only seem like the player just exited the building.
    Pokémon games however have this nice effect of letting you actually visually see the player exit the building through the door.
    Obviously however, this isn't done automatically. Your door currently already has an event page to transfer the player from the outside to the inside of the building. But it needs a second page that runs when the map loads:

Is the player currently on top of this door event?
    If so, play an animation that makes it seem like the player is exiting this building.

Every door event in the Pokémon Essentials example maps has this second event page too.

Unable to Walk

Note that this event page is set to 'Autorun'.
    As soon as the map loads, it'll check to see whether the player is currently on top of this event.
    If so, it'll play a little animation that involves the door opening, the player walking out and then the door closing behind him/her.

Gets a little complicated from here:
    Unlike parallel processes, an autorun event will force the rest of the game to wait until it's completed. Similar to parallel processes, they automatically loop.
    Both of these qualities mean you have to include some sort of way to break through the loop otherwise they'll just keep pausing the game.

For this reason, the door event has a condition: Only run if their TEMPORARY switch "A" is turned off. (Temporary switches are automatically turned off when the map is refreshed/exited/etc.)
    At the end of the event page, their temporary switch "A" is turned ON.

What happens is this:
    1. The map loads.
    2. EVERY door event automatically runs their second event page where they check whether the player is on top of them.
    3. Only the door that the player is on top of runs a little animation to make the player walk out of the door.
    4. EVERY door event turns their temporary switch "A" on to prevent step 2 from looping endlessly.

A more common solution to letting autorun events only run ONCE per map is simply erasing them after they're done instead of using a temporary switch.
    Obviously this wouldn't work for doors since you don't want them to disappear; they still need to be visible in the overworld after the autorun event.

Try to mess a little with the default Pokémon Essentials example maps or view a few RPG Maker event tutorials to see how everything works.
    I'm worried you might be copying too many events from the Essentials example maps without fully understanding how they work.

Last edited:
    Years
    I wanted to make Professor Oak going out of the lab following player to tell him something and tried to make the door animation behind him as it should be... But now after the animations I am stuck at every door I try to enter... I will try to figure out a solution, until then, I would appreciate some hints or help.... Thank you...

Years
    I got an idea (THAT DIDN'T WORK) as a solution to my problem, which is to use another event and moving its location to where the original door is located instead of messing directly with the original, hoping this would work... The animation works perfectly as intended but I am still stuck when I try to go through the door(s)... I moved the event into another map and tried to run the game and I still had doors stuck...

Edited: Woohoo!! It worked finally, In every Move Route set in all events of the map I checked "Ignore if can't move" and the doors worked again!

Last edited:
    Back