• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

underdog poke types

VanirElf

Dragon Trainer
    Years
    hey people, I was just wondering like, what commong laughed at types some of you may like?
    I'm a fan of BUG type pokemon.
    Everyone's always saying that they suck, but I recently re-started my
    sapphire version and i'm only raising a bug type pokemon team.
    I've taken on 7 of the gyms so far and always at equal levels, with the
    exception of the 6th gym (Fortree) because I didn't realize her pokemon
    were in the 30's, for some reason i remembered hers being in the low
    40's so I raised my team to Lv.40 before taking her on. Anyway the point is
    i've taken the gyms on at eaqual levels and people keep saying oh, you're
    gonna loose , you're just being lucky but I think BUG pokemon
    are just being under estimated.

so yeah, what're your pokemon types that u guys like that seem to get overlooked when it comes to battles?

Mr_Smilie:)

<3 SAKURA <3
    Years
    my fav are water because i have always liked them cause u can teach them surf which is my fav TM another is phychic so many TM's u can teach it and they learn phychic as well quet early THE END

YAY FIRST POST WOO

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Mr_Smilie:) said:
    my fav are water because i have always liked them cause u can teach them surf which is my fav TM another is phychic so many TM's u can teach it and they learn phychic as well quet early THE END

How is that an underdog type? I know a lot of people who like Water-types, and those who don't either like Fire-types more or only hate Water-types because they're so prolific.

That said, my favorite underdog types are as follows:

Bug
    Why: Yes, I've trained a Bug-type team too, and I was pleasantly surprised. Some bugs were merely "meh," but others were just awesome -- Volbeat, for example. Yet a lot of people don't seem to like training Bug-types (Ninjask aside).

Ghost
    Why: Yes, there's Gengar, but there's a lot of other underappreciated Pokemon in this category too. I mean, other than Gengar, you really don't see Dusclops, Haunter, or Banette, do you? Shedinja was liked for a brief time, but then everyone realized that its stats weren't awesome. And poor Misdreavus hasn't been touched with a ten-foot pole since the GSC times. Yet I love Ghosts for the simple reason that there's a lot a person can do with them in ASBing, because they're awesome in-game, and because their abilities and traits are just generally cool. Curse, for example. Haunter coming from other dimensions. Phasing. Dusclops with a black hole in its center. All sorts of fun things.

Poison
    Why: A lot of people seem to not like Poison-types except for when they're paired with types such as Grass or Ghost. Personally, sure. There's not a lot you can do with its type strengths and weaknesses, but still. There's a lot of Poison-types out there that are awesome in my book. Arbok for the design, Beedrill for in-game purposes, Muk for its ability to pwn opponents in ASBing. All sorts of fun things.

VanirElf

Dragon Trainer
    Years
    gosh dude, I Love those types too.

Volbeat is soo freakin' awsome!!!!

and Seviper oooh

my favorite ghost type is actually Dusclops, but yeah Gengar's pretty cool too.

I personally think the most overused poken types are

Psychic
    Water
    Normal

everyone always seems to be running either all 3 or at least 2 of those types.
    in their teams, and it always seems to be the same pokemon.

I think the uncommonly used pokemon are a bit more fun to play with.
    yes, they have common weaknesses, but I think if people took the time
    to play 'em more they find their uncommon strengths in 'em.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    Poison: Just like Kazeto said.
    Swalot with Counter can kill a Metagross/Salamence which thinks it can take down Swalot with one EQ. How wrong of them ;)

However, Wheezing maybe a little over-used... but thats a good thing, since it shines some light on Poison types.

GreatLiver

man, myth, stud
    Years
    BUgs are always cool, even though some are weak because they're like Caterpies and Wurmples. Also poison I feel is overlooked because it's often used by teams and as being easily beatable. Also alot of poison types are dual types and poison is overshadowed like alot of grass types, but there are still good solid poisons

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Bug for the various reasons stated above. Seriously, bug Pokémon kick butt, my Yanma in Pokémon Netbattle, for example, has knocked out everything from a Charmander (don't ask me why my opponent used that -_-) to a Latios and Mewtwo, it even beat a Kyogre once >D

The first way I got in contact with Bug types was when I realized how incredibly adorable they are :3 After that, I have almost always trained a Beedrill or Butterfree in the R/B/Y/G/S/C/FR/LG games, I'm not too fond of the Hoenn bugs, though =/

Also, Poison seems to be an underestimated type too. Sure people love Weezing, but they don't care much about the rest, even though most of them can be rather useful >D

Let's take Muk for example, it has decent defenses and high attack and HP , of course its movepool could be better, but it kicks butt if used correctly.

I also like Arbok, I have to admit none of its stats are outstanding, but it makes quite a nice CBer.

Ariados with Agility, a bunch of physical moves and liechi berry can do quite a lot of damage too (my Ariados even obliterated a couple of Tyranitars). Agility; a Liechi berry and Baton Pass also make quite a nice combination in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2006
    If fire types are under dogs than... FIRE all the way! Almost all my friends substitute fires for Ground types like Groudon (just an example) and the ones who do use fire types dont use fire moves like Blaziken blaze kick!

Back