• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Unova & New York City - Spelling it Out Plainly

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2012
    Well, I did know that Unova was based on the US, but I didn't realize it matched the actual map this much
    Well done research

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2013
    Well, I've got the first round of comparison photographs here. I'll do the rest I plan on doing tomorrow if i find the time.

Unova & New York City - Spelling it Out Plainly

THE REST ARE IN THIS SPOILER TAG:

Spoiler:

Also, the main image in the topic post has been updated.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Hey that's pretty awesome that Masuda said that - and that screenshot really does look like Nacrene. As for the other photographs, I don't really see the similarities other than with Pinwheel Forest (which looks to be right on spot). As for Striaton, it just seems to be coincidental that those houses were there, more than anything (are they actual important buildings...?)

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2013
    Hey that's pretty awesome that Masuda said that - and that screenshot really does look like Nacrene. As for the other photographs, I don't really see the similarities other than with Pinwheel Forest (which looks to be right on spot). As for Striaton, it just seems to be coincidental that those houses were there, more than anything (are they actual important buildings...?)

While Nacrene City does borrow heavily and explicitly from the actual location, the funny thing is, those views of Bed-Stuy and Flatbush happen to be the exact views one would get if they were to simply look those neighborhoods up on Wikipedia, which would lend itself to the idea of the creators doing some very basic research as a starting point for the sort of buildings that would be found in those areas.

If I had to go out my way to hunt for these images, I wouldn't have considered it of significance, its the fac that a mere wikipedia search for those neighborhoods turns up these results is the only reason I included them.

My aim isn't to reach for evidence where there isn't any, just to point out possible inspirations and potentially coincidental similarities.

Back