• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unreal Development Kit

Will you check out the Unreal Development Kit?

• Yes, I will continue to use it and make a game.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Yes, I will only try it out though.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No (Give Reason By Commenting)

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I don't know, I need more convincing.

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    https://www.udk.com/

I suggest all of you to check it out, its free for non-commercial use, which means you can't sell any of your games unless you get a license. It uses a proprietary scripting language called UnrealScript. It is a modern development kit used by professionals in the gaming industry. The engine is getting a little out of date, but most of you are using old technology. RPG Maker is a very old engine, its not very powerful either. If any of you want to try 3D games, I suggest you check it out. It comes with its own particle and physics engines and a whole bunch of features. Now most of you will complain that there is no starter kit, now this is where it separates the men and the boys. It won't take long to get a character on screen moving around and stuff, you just have to figure out the rest. I want to see this community steer away from the RPG Maker and their dependence on the Starter Kit and go into more "hardcore" engine. What I do not want to see is an argument why people are so dependent on RPG Maker and the Starter Kit in this community. I know exactly why. Sure one way people can steer away from that is if people start growing a pair and start making games on their own and not leech off of other sources. I suggest a community wide effort to create a starter kit with the Unreal Engine. I am putting an emphasis the community. I do not believe it is right as a community to watch and stare while one guy is working on it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    but that's too much work for this section

e: i'm being serious here. you're asking a giant task for most of the hobby game makers here.

me2hack

Graphics Artist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    Interesting program, but wouldn't this be more for fullscreen gaming? It has a lot of cool features, but I don't those are needed for making Pokemon fan-games. Also I think it's easier, for many people, to use the Starter Kit, since it already has scripts made for use. Scripting everything up from scratch can be a pain.
    From what I read on their 'Features' page, it is recommend to have 8GB ram. Not a lot of people have that. Surprised that you only need 2.0+ with multi-core.
    This is a powerful game design program, but I just don't think making a Pokemon fan-game, the majority of the people make it, would be a great idea.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    but that's too much work for this section

e: i'm being serious here. you're asking a giant task for most of the hobby game makers here.

You shouldn't generalize - there are a lot of members here who would be interested in using this engine.

This is a powerful game design program, but I just don't think making a Pokemon fan-game, the majority of the people make it, would be a great idea.

You don't have to make a Pokemon fan game to post your project in this section - obviously this engine is for more sophisticated games.

And I've looked at the engine a few times, and it's one of the ones some friends at university and I are considering playing around with.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    While the topic creator is claiming that the Games Dev community as a whole should adopt this engine I believe it's fair to generalise the majority of this place as being unable to work with such a system.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    While the topic creator is claiming that the Games Dev community as a whole should adopt this engine I believe it's fair to generalise the majority of this place as being unable to work with such a system.

He suggested that people should check it out, not that they absolutely had to adopt it.

tylerab01

Pokemon AquaHarmony
    Years
    Thanks for the release, I have been kinda looking in to making a Colosseum like game in the near future

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    I know the powers of the engine and know how great it is, but I would never make a game my own computer couldn't play XD

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    I personally will not use it for these reasons: system requirements, I rather spend my time programming in C++, I don't have time in the first place.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    can you use this to hack pokemon red??? Or do i need to know c+?
    A) No

B) No (BTW its C++ not "c+")
    It has its own scripting language specific for this engine. There is how ever a commercial version that comes with the source code for the actual game, which is programmed in C++.

BTW I like your sig, very stimulating

Years
    I chose no but thats because there wasn't a "I've already checked it out but I am not using it to make a game just now"

I'm a Unity user (Unity is another fantastic game engine) but I have checked out the UDK (and even have two versions of it, one from a few months ago and the most recent one on my comp). It's pretty nice but I'm enjoying using Unity for many reasons such as:

1) I get to leverage the power of Umbra (for occlusion culling) and Beast for real time light mapping (not sure if UDK has these features but I know Unity does), 2) I get to use C# which I am very comfortable with and get to use Visual Studio to code, (intellisense FTW) 3) Unity has a better user interface in my opinion (although UDK has lots more documentation and where to start type of stuff on their documentations page) and 4) 3dbuzz (a website, google if you want to check it out) are about to have quite alot of in depth (50+ hours worth) of free video tutorials meaning I'll be able to learn anything I don't know from them (some tutorials include How to develop custom edior extensions/plugins, how to make a 3D Platformer, and how to make a 2D style ship game (called simple game) from a very object oriented point of view utilizing design patterns such as the state pattern and the singleton pattern I believe).

Bit of a wall of text there but just explaining my reason for using Unity over UDK although I am certainly not opposed to using it if I find something I want to do that I feel I would have a better time getting it done in UDK as opposed to Unity, in which case I'll use it. UDK is a fantastic engine afterall, just like Unity is.

Edit: Btw, just because it came across like it. Unity does not only use C#. You can make scripts in either C#, Boo or Javascript (which most call Unity script since it is quite different in everything but syntax I believe.). Unity however does make full use of mono (the cross platform version of .NET) for all it's scripting languages and currently supports .NET 3.5

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
    I'm pretty sure I'll be running into this engine in one of my computer classes at uni.

I'll keep an eye on it til then. don't even know my comp could even play it.

pspdude

:o super shinx?
    Years
    Thanks so much I've been trying to look for a program to use the Unreal engine with but I've only used Unity 3D D: thanks again dling now lmao

Back