• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Question] Update/Patch my game

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2021
    Hello who ever is reading this,
    So i am currently working on making a game using the Pokemon Essentials.
    However i would like for it to be possible that players keep their save file between versions of the game.

What would be the best way to do this? Can they just drag and drop their save file from the game or is there a way to install patches or something like that?

I did find https://www.rpgmakercentral.com/topic/7791-data-patcher/ this script, but i am not entirely sure if that also works for the pokemon essentials.
    Any advice on this would be massively appreciated.

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Hello who ever is reading this,
    So i am currently working on making a game using the Pokemon Essentials.
    However i would like for it to be possible that players keep their save file between versions of the game.

What would be the best way to do this? Can they just drag and drop their save file from the game or is there a way to install patches or something like that?

I did find https://www.rpgmakercentral.com/topic/7791-data-patcher/ this script, but i am not entirely sure if that also works for the pokemon essentials.
    Any advice on this would be massively appreciated.

The save files are handled differently.
    I don't really have advice to give, I'm just giving a few thoughts seeing what I saw in the function pbSave.
    Game switches and variables will be preserved, so unless you rework the progress in your game, there should be no problem.
    However, if you have to recompile any PBS file between versions of your game (tm.txt, pokemon.txt, moves.txt...), the old savefile will inevitably throw an error when loaded in the new game.

DarrylBD99

Content Creator and Game Developer
    Years
  • However, if you have to recompile any PBS file between versions of your game (tm.txt, pokemon.txt, moves.txt...), the old savefile will inevitably throw an error when loaded in the new game.

That factor really depends if you are removing an item or a Pokémon from the game, which people rarely do so. If you are just adding new content, it won't really have any affect unless if you change item or move ids.

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    That factor really depends if you are removing an item or a Pokémon from the game, which people rarely do so. If you are just adding new content, it won't really have any affect unless if you change item or move ids.

Oh, ok.
    I was saying this because I sometimes noticed a memory access error when loading a game after a PBS update, and I concluded it was because the data stored in $PokemonTemp was reworked ^^"

Back