• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Idea] Using Pokemon Essentials to make a Monster Hunter Stories game

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Hello everybody,

I am wondering how hard would it be to use Pokemon Essentials to make a game similar to Monster Hunter Stories.

For those that have never played Monster Hunter Stories it's a game where you can catch and train your Monsters and use them in battle like in a Pokemon game. However, the trainer character also participates in battle using swords or other weapons and abilities depending on the kind of weapon currently equipped. Here is a link to a youtube video of a battle in Monster Hunter Stories.

Based on how Pokemon Essentials is set up, I think that such a game is a possibility and I've been messing around with the kit to set this up.

So far I was able to create a "Hunter" Pokemon and set up every battle as Duo so that you also have a Pokemon by your side. The issue is that the Hunter is being sent out of a Pokeball at the beginning of a battle which is odd. Is there a way to not use that feature ?
    I also began to set up a side view battle screen to make it more like a basic RPG game by messing around with the Battle_Scene_Object script.
    However I still can't find a way to set it properly for 2 team members. Right now both
    HP windows are above one another, I would like to set them up next to each other. How can I achieve that ?

I would also like to know if there is a way to make a pokemon unswitchable and unboxable so that the Hunter Character is always in the party.

I don't know how to make it so that the Hunter can equip two items at once and change its moveset and abilities based on the item equipped. Normaly you would be able to equip a weapon and an armor. The weapon changes the character moveset, attack value and element and the armor changes the defense value and gives one or multiple passive abilities.
    I thought of using a system akin to stone evolution where if you give a Sword Stone item to the Hunter it evolves into a Sword Hunter but the issue is that it doesn't force to change the moveset according to its form.

Anyway I'm not gonna list all of the issues I'm facing, just trying to gather more information and advice on what I can realistically do to achieve this.

Thanks for your help.

screenshot.png

Back