• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] VBA Map viewer BG03 question

~Edo~

Yu-Gi-Oh GX & Edo Phoenix Fan
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2023
    Hello everyone.

I'm having a research of the I/O thing in Fire Red. I want to modify the BG03 (this is the layer where blocks "covered by hero -20 in Fire Red and 10 in RSE) to make a convincent "shadow" effect for, I don't know, some forest map. Or to make a fade shadow to cross the screen. It could be usefull for a lot of things, I guess.
    Well, when I go to BG03 in VBA Map Viewing, I face to this: every undefined block are autocompleted with the tile number 20. There's a screen to show you guys what I mean:

VBA Map viewer BG03 question

This doesn't affect the game, because 1) the BG03 has no priority over the other layers and that emptiness is going to lose, and 2) because the Fire Red ROM has nothing on the tile 20 space in tileset 0 (you can see this -the number of tile- at block editor in AM)
    So this change if we gave priority to BG03 with a WBTO (this is going on with I/O by the way). In this case, we can face two different scenario: at the first, that nothing happen: after all, the tile 20 has nothing in our tileset (this only apply to vanilla ROM, because 20 is used by all hackers to be fair); and by the second, to see how that tile 20 goes over our screen.
    This is another screen to explain my point:

VBA Map viewer BG03 question

(In this case, I modify the tile 20 to make this "effect". The problem in here is the repetition: it goes to cover all the screen and I cannot control it.)

Well, after this, my question is: do anyone know if there's a way to access the BG03 matrix to edit that tile-by-default? And of course: there's a way to change that tile?

This is a very weird and complicated thing, I know. But I will apreciete any help.

At the last, I want to apologize myself because of my bad english. I try to do my best, but my knowledge are pretty limited.

Cya!

Back