• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Veg*ns

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
  • I don't mind eating vegetarian food, if its delicious I'll eat it. I love avocados, lots of salads too, I even gotten far as eating raw onions and raw garlic.

I am omnivore so I also love meat - my family is Mexican I tend to eat lots of beef, pork, chicken, lamb. Recently, thanks to my love of Japanese culture I started eating lots and lots of fish..

In short: I have no issues with vegetarian food, it's delicious too.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • I was vegetarian for about a year, because I don't like how animals are treated on farms (well, ok, in australia most beef cattle are actually treated quite well. pigs and chickens are not). And I find it silly to take another life so I can enjoy a meal that I don't actually need.

Then I realized the dairy and egg industry treat their animals just as bad, and also male chicks, male and some female calves, cows over 5-7 years old (life span i think it like 15-20+) and chickens that don't lay well anymore are all slaughtered. Not really something I'm into. And while it's debateable (sp?) whether meat and eggs are natural (which I honestly am not sure of, I only know that you can live healthy with them and with out them), I know drinking milk from another species when you are not even a baby any more is not natural at all haha (not denying that it doesnt taste good though).

At first it was hard, but now it is easy for me. And I love cooking, but I kind of like that there's no chance of me accidently serving half cooked meat to my family, which could be dangerous (not that they'd like half cooked food anyway, but raw meat can be pretty dangerous). I have no issues with others who eat meat. My best friends are hunters and I work in a Deli serving and cooking up meat all day lol.

I'm really proud of myself too. I used to use lots of fake meat. Now I hardly ever have it and I eat heaps of vegetables, though the vegeables need to have spices and sauces over them most of the time.

Madam Cheezy

Imakuni Trainee
    Years
  • Because it tastes good?

Granted, I think we're the only species that consumes the milk of another species. So, it is kind of weird.

Cats. :-)
    Though, I guess if it wasnt for us, they wouldnt be able to get it anyway.

We lean vegetarian here. Meat maybe, 2 or 3 times a week, but otherwise veggies. The meat we eat is usually chicken, maybe some lean pork. We hardly eat beef...mostly because of health and money reasons. I'd like to have fish more often, but the other two in the house say otherwise. Plerr.

When I used to live with my parents, it was the total opposite. Meat every night, usually cheap/processed cuts. Oddly, they still eat like that now, even though they know and can afford not to.

Zet

Years
  • These few selected quotes are in no way an attack, just information.

I'm a longtime vegetarian and I choose it because of environmental reasons, and I'd been eating less and less meat in the time before I chose to give it up completely.

I was always a little worried about how it would affect my health, but I'm pretty healthy after years and I don't do anything specific to make sure my diet is balanced or anything. I just vary what I eat. Wonder if I'm lucky in that respect.
    That's actually a pretty dangerous thing to do. Vegetarians and Vegans need to make sure they're eating the right amount so they get all the stuff as someone who eats meat.

I personally chose vegan over just simply vegetarian as I am lactose intolerant and don't see why humans should be consuming dairy products as cow's milk is essentially made to feed baby calves. And I also don't particularly like eggs and find them almost as offputting as meat :/ Plus dairy and egg consumption has been found to be just as linked to animal cruelty as meat consumption, hence another reason to go vegan.
    Because cows provide a long lasting supply of milk, while humans only provide a certain amount before being dried up. You also seem to be misinformed of what animal cruelty is. Milking cows is actually healthy for them, and they enjoy the experience. Chickens? well they honestly don't care.

There's been a heap of talk about battery hens here recently and chickens been given hormones and antibiotics + the effect this can have on chicken consumers :/
    & I just find eggs slimy in general so I steer clear.
    In Australia that practice is no longer legal.

I myself enjoy eating meat and will continue for a long time.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Nothing wrong with either lifestyle as long as it's sustainable food sourcing. But the amino acids and proteins found in meat are best absorbed in the body by eating meat. Same with other vitamins and minerals.

AxeyWaxyWoo

Awesome Sauce Trainer
    Years
  • I turned vegetarian when I turned 13 and vegan when I turned 14 (now about to turn 15).

My reasons were because I don't agree with killing other animals or 'using' them as mere 'products.' Animals are sentient and definitely feel pain. I thought, when I consume dairy, lots of calves get took to slaughter and their mothers are used as 'machines.' It's horrible to me. They're like slaves. And with the egg industry, male chicks are killed because they can't lay eggs, and the females are usually in poor conditions and when they can no longer lay eggs, they are usually sent to slaughter too. I just don't agree with using animals like they are nothing and we are somehow 'superior' to them, 'cause in my opinion we really aren't.

And I found finding food easy, but it was made even easier when I realised Holland & Barrett sell vegan cheesecake and stuff, lol. ;P

Zet

Years
  • I turned vegetarian when I turned 13 and vegan when I turned 14 (now about to turn 15).

My reasons were because I don't agree with killing other animals or 'using' them as mere 'products.' Animals are sentient and definitely feel pain. I thought, when I consume dairy, lots of calves get took to slaughter and their mothers are used as 'machines.' It's horrible to me. They're like slaves. And with the egg industry, male chicks are killed because they can't lay eggs, and the females are usually in poor conditions and when they can no longer lay eggs, they are usually sent to slaughter too. I just don't agree with using animals like they are nothing and we are somehow 'superior' to them, 'cause in my opinion we really aren't.

And I found finding food easy, but it was made even easier when I realised Holland & Barrett sell vegan cheesecake and stuff, lol. ;P
    Animals kill other animals, and those animals feel pain... Also some places used to do that, but now they're forced to do up-to-date standards or close down.

AxeyWaxyWoo

Awesome Sauce Trainer
    Years
  • Yes, animals living in the wild kill other animals for survival.
    But I don't need to eat animals to survive, so I don't.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
  • Unfortunately, I'm a meat-eater. I love, love, love meat. My favorite food is pepperoni, even. But I do feel rather bad about it :/ Also, my mom controls what food we buy and she has absolutely no plans to stop buying meat haha. The only meats I will eat, however, is beef, pork, or chicken. Sometimes fish but I lost my taste for it to be honest. I would never eat deer, lamb, rabbit, duck etc. Sort of like eating a cow would be horrible in the eyes of some Hindus, eating any other animal besides those three would be awful. Anyways, I have a lot of respect for vegetarians and vegans and I think their lifestyle is admirable. It sort of pisses me off when I see meat-eaters criticizing vegetarians and vegans (which I somehow seem to see a lot of) but oh well haha.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Yes, animals living in the wild kill other animals for survival.
    But I don't need to eat animals to survive, so I don't.

To each their own, I guess, but I am disappointed at the vegetarians and vegans who hate, absolutely hate, people who eat meat. We can stand them, with their complaints of meat products and stuff, so why can't they stand us?

This isn't saying that you're necessarily one of them, but just putting it out there.

NintendoQueen

The Queen of Nintendo
    Years
  • I could never be a vegan. I love meat way too much.
    I found a clever picture that made me laugh, though:
    Veg*ns

Years
  • To each their own, I guess, but I am disappointed at the vegetarians and vegans who hate, absolutely hate, people who eat meat. We can stand them, with their complaints of meat products and stuff, so why can't they stand us?

This isn't saying that you're necessarily one of them, but just putting it out there.
    If we're just puttin' stuff out there, I gotta say that I don't like how any discussion of vegetarianism/veganism is treated like an excuse to complain about "pushy" veggies. I think I've heard about 1000 complaints (guesstimating) about pushy vegetarians/vegans for every instance of one who was actually pushy. I wish people wouldn't be preemptively hostile and/or judgmental. I almost think that any "pushiness" is just a pre-preemptive defense against what veggies expect to hear from people.

This is all mostly in the case of online discussions. People in real life seem not to engage in these kinds of discussions.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
  • Yeah, in my experience I've actually seen meat-eaters being a lot meaner to vegetarians than the other way around :/ Kind of offends me even though I am a meat-eater lol

Starsprite

This is how we live!
    Years
    • Age 26
    • TN
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Yeah, in my experience I've actually seen meat-eaters being a lot meaner to vegetarians than the other way around :/ Kind of offends me even though I am a meat-eater lol

I am actually a vegetarian myself and I actually still get bullied for it (of all the things...). Well maybe not bullied, but taunted and teased in a not-so-friendly way by not-so-friendly people. Really it's kind of funny that people will actually resort to poking at trivial things like that just to make someone feel uncomfortable.

That said, I guess I can be a pretty pushy vegetarian sometimes. There's just something about eating meat that makes me uncomfortable even when it isn't me doing it. I try not to be too vocal about that though, especially around people it might offend. I'm around meat eaters all the time and I've learned to live with it, unlike some people out there.

See, what gets me isn't when others eat meat, it's when they mock me for not eating meat.

WillPowerPedro

https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 9, 2022
    Oh my god. I am a giant meat-eater and even a bigger one now due to my uncle who is in love with the taste of practically all meats. I love salad though, a house salad with honey mustard always gets me excited!

Renpuu

Gengar !
    Years
  • I enjoy eating meat ! I love the feeling of eating meat off the bone !
    I don't disagree with people not wishing to eat meat or animal products, since it's everyone's right to chose what they want to have in their diet.
    However I don't feel it's more healthy to be either an omnivore or vegie/vegan.
    Exercise is just as important as your diet. As long as you get a good balance of everything with exercise you should be okay =).

However an interesting fact is that most snake antidotes are made using the venom from the snake itself to make the "anti-venom". So if you're a vegan and you get bitten by a venomous snake, are you going to refuse the anti-venom due to your believe ?

AxeyWaxyWoo

Awesome Sauce Trainer
    Years
  • droomph -

I don't push beliefs onto others, none of my friends/family is vegan/vegetarian, but that doesn't mean I don't like them, I just carry on with what I'm doing, each to their own.
    Most people don't even know I'm vegan, unless they ask or the subject is somehow brought up.

And you know what? I can't stand vegetarians/vegans like that either, they make the rest of us seem bad, but I also can't stand meat eaters who mock the way I choose to live. Which happens alot. But I realize not every meat eater is like that, of course.

:)

Renpuu - Well, here in Scotland, we don't have dangerous snakes. So I doubt it's something I'll ever come across. But I guess it's the same as a vegan using medicine with an animal product in it, which is obviously the individuals choice to do so. Some vegans will use it, some won't.

I, personally, avoid medicine. Next August, I will start my Testosterone injections, and even then, I will be making sure I am not getting it sourced from an animal, but grown in a lab instead.

:)

Years
  • Woo vegetarianism! I've been meatless for, gosh, 3 years now? I saw a documentary and was just done. Not a vegan, though, as we buy organic at our grocery store, and cows need to be milked and hens eggs would just go to waste... (also honey is delicious and obviously not TOO sorely missed)

It's strange because I used to be a big meat eater, and while I do almost miss meat at times, I can't see myself going back. Even if I did, I'd still check the labels of things for chicken stock or gelatin lol. :D

Back