• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Viral Odyssey :: uncharted waters

Years

• Jul252014​
    It started simply as a curiosity, where I'd see if I could make some custom trainer sprites and a personality to go with the character. But soon the idea of a new region popped up and I began to imagine this whole new world filled with old ruins, just waiting to be discovered; massive bamboo forests where the ancient shaolin temples reside; a swampy river delta shrouded in mist; but above all an ever-growing strife between once old friends becoming leading figures across this new divide in society.
    Anyway, I wanted others to enjoy this realm and making their choice in this standoff. I started making plans for a role playable version, but I wanted, no needed, more visual aspects of this realm. Only recently the idea to make an MMORPG out of this has seen to it that I picked up where I left off. But that is an idea for later, right now I'm enjoying this and learning to become a better pixel artist. Well, I hope you'll be able to enjoy it too...

[M]ugshots
    hover for descriptions
    Viral Odyssey :: uncharted waters
    [T]rainer sprites

[C]ustom regions
    click to enlarge
    ketches & stuff
    click to enlarge
    Viral Odyssey :: uncharted watersViral Odyssey :: uncharted waters

Viral Odyssey :: uncharted waters[URL="https://tinyurl.com/qhhkqbl"]Viral Odyssey :: uncharted waters[/URL]​
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx by CreativeVision

Last edited:

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • I love the idea of this!

Really, really cool design work going on here. I especially like the patchwork you've done using Unova's map assets.

The direction you're going with the trainer sprites is very different from what you usually see in Pokémon-related things, and that's great. Will be fun to see this develop further. :D

Years
  • I love the idea of this!

Really, really cool design work going on here. I especially like the patchwork you've done using Unova's map assets.

The direction you're going with the trainer sprites is very different from what you usually see in Pokémon-related things, and that's great. Will be fun to see this develop further. :D

thanks. The patchwork map was really fun to do, I tried my hand at the unova style in-game map, but it wasn't detailed enough i guess ;)
    I started a different patchwork map though, as it didn't turn out the way I wanted for this region.
    What makes them so different in your opinion? as most of the sprites are just som splices of existing official trainer sprites and recolored to my fashion. All I did is added a theme to the sprites according to where in the region one would find them..

In the mean time, I added some "sketches and stuff" and a new mugshot, the creepy doctor.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • Well, in a lot of ways, it's the theme itself. If anything, the theme on its own is interesting and needs to be done more often, but it's also very different from what you normally see in at least the official Pokémon games. Of course there were the Channelers and Sages in gen I and II, but that kind of thing is still pretty rare.

I guess one factor is the occurrence of weaponry, which definitely isn't something you usually see in Pokémon-related sprites. :P

Years
    • Age 31
    • OH
    • Seen Aug 25, 2014
    I'm really liking the Trainer Sprites as well, they look killer. The creepy doctor is probably my favorite, I like all of the detail put into him.

Brandon

Years
  • ah yes, thing is, I don't like to see the people completely dependent upon their pokémon. And of course a stronger independence leads to having ways of protecting oneself ;)

Besides that, this region is where two completely different worlds collide. On the one hand you have the native people, like any regular region. However the characters in the mugshots section (the drunk CEO, the rebelling ex-friend and the creepy doctor) are from a completely different world, a world like ours. To them it's more or less an MMORPG (inspiration from the .hack// series) and some are less concerned with this region than others. These characters however are the first ones to cross and with them brought a new culture and technological advances..

And thank you Brandon, I had a lot of fun creating him according to his personality. Next up will probably be his assistant, very knowledgeable, but Im thinking a bit timid, to balance out the doctor.

Years
    • Age 31
    • OH
    • Seen Aug 25, 2014
    Definitely I'd make him have a personality similar to Wormtail from Harry Potter if you're familiar with that series.

Years
  • I am familiar with the series, however wormtail mostly supported Voldemort out of fear. He was creepy of course, but not skilled, brave or intelligent enough to be anything else than Voldemorts creepy slave.
    This doctor though has ambitions, is intelligent but maybe also slightly insane. And rather than do his job out of fear he does it for profit. He likes to experiment and you really don't want him to operate on you.

These doctors/scientists make the bodies (i.e. avatars) for the many MMORPG players from a world like ours. But much like .hack// there are malfunctions in the programming, in the avatars, etc. that can cause someone to become permanently stuck in their MMORPG character, unable to return to their reality and have to establish a new life..

anyways that in short is the situation, maybe i should add some more information about it in the first post? What do you think?

Years
  • The head of security, first modern militia group in this world under direction of the CEO.. three guess how that turns out ;)

I also added some descriptions for the other characters (hover your mouse over the mugshots).

Back