• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Walking Pokemon

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    One of the best features created for HeartGold and SoulSilver in my opinion.

Looking back, you can see that Game Freak had a lot of prototypes for this.

In Pokemon Yellow, you could have the Pikachu you get at the start of the game follow behind you. Sadly, this was only for Pikachu and not created for the other 149 Pokemon and wasn't brought back into the pictures for another two generations.

Than in Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, they created Amity Square. Located in Hearthome City, you could walka round with a select few Pokemon. Than in Platinum, they expanded the choice but it was still not all 493 Pokemon.

Than in HeartGold and SoulSilver, they totally took the feature from Amity Square and completely revamped it for these games. Not only could you walk with any of the 493 Pokemon, you could go anywhere, not in a select area.

I believe the idea for this feature came from the anime, where trainers like Ash traveled with one of their Pokemon out of the Poke Ball, in Ash's case, Pikachu, thus the whole idea of Pokemon Yellow.

Lots of fans who played Yellow wished to be able to travel with all the Pokemon, but after two more generations of games with no sign of this feature, the idea was slowly dropped and wasn't discussed much.

Even with the Amity Square's feature, it wasn't really speculated that one day, that feature could happen with all the Pokemon or even during the entire game.

But much to our surprise, the feature was shown in one of the early previews of HeartGold and SoulSilver on Pokemon Sunday, and it caused major speculations.

Some people thought it was just part of a mini story plot, like the minor sprites from the Generation Three games. Others thought the feature was indeed for the whole game, but just for the starter. And some of us even thought it was a beta, and wouldn't even happen.

But it was soon revealed that this feature was indeed being put in the game, and not for just the starters, but for all 493 Pokemon.Not only that, but it also retained the shininess in the sprites, instead of a default.

What I find so nice about this feature is that it allows you to feel more connected to your Pokemon in the game and know how it's feeling.

The release of HeartGold and SoulSilver created a new view of the actual friendship factor in the games.

And that I think is one thing that is priceless.

TotoPacMan

*insert witty title*
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2024
    Wow. Hardcore. 0_0

It really is a cool feature. It helps build bonds with your pokemon.

... kind of hard to follow up that first post....

AvianAzure

The Azurean Knight
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2010
    It's true. Makes this game my favorite. I was gonna restart it afterwords so i could get as bonded with another pokemon as i did with my tauros but then i realized i'd have to reset my pokewalker and lose my downloaded routes. So instead i cleared everything off platinum (took 6 bloody hours of trading) and restarted that... but it's not the same without having my partner walking behind me...

i'm actually considering going and buying HG so i can have on i can reset...

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    I know how you feel.

As much as I'd love to reset my HeartGold, I won't because of all the bonds I have and all the WiFi events.

But I'll be getting SoulSilver for whenever I want to reexperience Johto.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • Actually, you get to keep all your Pokewalker routes even when you reset (pretty sure even Events!)

I really love this feature, and when I didn't see it shown in the clips of B&W I was disappointed..

hopefully Grey will have that feature..

Years
  • I really hope they're just being shy and for some reason he doesn't have his pokemon walking behind him...this was really a cool feature from HG/SS. It would be very disappointing if they didn't keep this in Black/White. :/

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • I liked this feature because it made me feel a word that is used by almost all Pokemon fans when talking about Generation II. Nostalgia. It made the game much more real. If I'm not mistaken, Shigeru said his objectives with Pokemon were to link the Pokemon world with the real world to the fullest extent possible.

`Espeon

Is back! :D
    Years
  • Oh yes. :D

This was my most favourite feature in HG/SS. Having a Pokemon following you everywhere makes HG/SS awesome. :D

Life is more epic with a Arceus at your side, right? Right? 8D

...But if Nintendo won't bother putting this epic feature into Black/White, I'm so going to be angry at them. D< (Or maybe there's a little option in the Pokemon menu where you can choose to have a Pokemon follow you or not...)

Neurotripsy

前向きロケット団!
    Years
  • I love this feature, they definitely hit the mark in making you feel more personally connected to your Pokemon. It'll be really sad if they don't keep it for B&W. :(

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • I've really been looking forward to this HGSS feature since it was announced.
    And let's be honest, DPPt Amity Square really sucked.
    When I went in, all I did was ... "200 steps .. check ... reset ... 200 steps ... check ... reset" and it was all plain boring for some accesories to win me some contests x_X .

Years
  • yeah, it is a really good feature, but some pokemon can look a little stupid when following you. my favourite psychic pokemon is gardevoir, but it looks stupid following you, same with gallade

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
  • Wait wait wait didn't yellow come out in like... the 1990s? i mean i guess amnity square because it came right before hg/ss, but the yellow version was at least a decade behind hg/ss
    I think that the "lots of clues" are actually only one.... amnity square
    just because yellow version had a random pokemon (pikachu) behind you doesn't mean it is the inspiration for anything (and no other pokemon follows you in that game)

Years
  • I love this feature!

Literally. I've stopped playing D/Pt, and only play this, for the epicness, or Emerald, coz it was my first game.

I doubt I'll buy black/white anyway, but if the feature ain't there, I'm defo not buying it.

I hope in the R/S/E remakes they at least restore the feature! Otherwise they'd not be as good as Emerald, as I bet the Battle Frontier is naff in the new games.

Back onto Hg/Ss: Is it just me, or is it best walking with smaller pokemon, due to your character's size?

For example, I love walking with Cyndaquil, coz it's cute, and Quilava ain't bad, but my Typhlosion.....

Or maybe that's just coz I don't like Typhlosion

Back