• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Way to make Pokemon harder..

So are you gonna do it?

• Yes

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2007
    I have thought about it a long time already and I'm finally doing it as well.
    Beating a pokemon game without the use of your starter Pokemon.
    Until now it is EXTREMELY hard.
    The starters usually include pokemon with quite high stats and a decent move-pool for their respective Type, but if you go around catching regular pokemon it's quite hard.
    But my main goal in this is to make me feel like any other trainer in the game, it's fine RPing to me.

So if you like a challenge why not try it? ^^

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    He means the complete opposite, never using your starter other than when you have to (Right at the start)

I done it on yellow once, I may try it on Ruby.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    It's not that hard really. Maybe in the beginning when you can't find any good pokemon, but you could catch a Ralts and level it up to six. Ralts is one of the few Pokemon that can be really good that early in the game.

Years
    • Seen Jul 21, 2007
    I'm trying it with ruby, and right now I have 2 badges, Wingull at 19 , Poochyena at 16, and Shroomish at 17. Its actually not that hard. I always get tired of the starters anyways.

Angelic Diablo

Scyther >> You
    Years
  • I used to get a Kadabra, then use nothing else (this was in the 1st and 2nd gem though, now I use more than just the one pokemon [especially because of the dark and steel types making psychic useless]

nguyende

Student
    Years
  • I have thought about it a long time already and I'm finally doing it as well.
    Beating a pokemon game without the use of your starter Pokemon.
    Until now it is EXTREMELY hard.
    The starters usually include pokemon with quite high stats and a decent move-pool for their respective Type, but if you go around catching regular pokemon it's quite hard.
    But my main goal in this is to make me feel like any other trainer in the game, it's fine RPing to me.

So if you like a challenge why not try it? ^^

Hmmm... Beating a Pokémon game without the use of your starter pkmn.... I've never tried that before... I think i will now! ha :P
    Not really as much for the challenge, but it sounds quite interesting! :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    Hmmm... Beating a Pokémon game without the use of your starter pkmn.... I've never tried that before... I think i will now! ha :P
    Not really as much for the challenge, but it sounds quite interesting! :)
    Oh yeah it's fun, but it doesn't make the game more or less hard.

I just always feel guilty putting my very first Pokemon in the box.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    It's their levels. Personally, I think ALL starter Pokemon should be just that. Starter Pokemon. As in, starting on Lv 1. That's not even a gimmick or anything. I mean, in Lunar and Dragon Warrior you start on Lv 1. Why not in Pokemon?

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    It's their levels. Personally, I think ALL starter Pokemon should be just that. Starter Pokemon. As in, starting on Lv 1. That's not even a gimmick or anything. I mean, in Lunar and Dragon Warrior you start on Lv 1. Why not in Pokemon?
    In Baldur's Gate you start at around level 7, and top out around level 20.

Ash&pikachuarethebest

Houndoom trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2014
    That sounds interesting i have been thinking about putting my starter in the box after it evolved so i might now that i know other people are doing it.

nickwarr_182

The Bringer Of Destruction
    Years
  • Dude, I beat Crystal version with a Xatu easily.
    Actually, I found it to be way easier than with the original starter.

Philbro

The One For You!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • U.K.
    • Seen Aug 2, 2010
    Ah. Xatu. The Greatest Pokemon You Can Get. Ive Done the Challenge Like this. I Had 2 Psychic Pokemon and The rest were pokemon that i needed for Hm's. I Had Xatu Level 73 and Gardevour level 69. So I say: This Challenge Is Easy.

Philbro
    Xatu's Only Friend

Philbro

The One For You!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • U.K.
    • Seen Aug 2, 2010
    Its Basicly easy once u get the right pokemon team. Remember each starter can be easily Replaced. Here are a few to help ur brain work what to use:

Water: Gyrados Is great choice or u can go with Wingul If need be and evolve it into a Peliper. Gyrados Though is More Appealing. People PLaying Sapphire Will Find Kyrouge An Asset As a Water Pokemon.

Fire: Well u could say Spoilt For CHoice but thats lying. If ur playing Ruby Then When u get groundon U should be fine. Slugma and Torkal Are fair pokemon to have. Its up to u about fire pokemon.

Grass: Now u are spoilt for choice. Uve got to decide what u feel will be the best grass pokemon for you. Personally A Nuzleaf Is Great And a Lombre Even better. They Both have Secound types so whatever game ur playing catch a Lotad or a Seedot at the start.

And thats what i think can replace ur starters :P

Philbro
    Xatu's Only Friend

Back