• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

We need character differentiation, dang it!

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • As you know, in pokemon RSE and DPP, if you pick the boy, the girl will become a psuedo-rival and vice versa, however, they both act the same, there is no effort at all in making these characters different. I think in future games, the opposite gender that is not picked (or the character that is not picked, assuming in future games there will be more characters to choose from) should have a different personality, this will make players want to start the game over as the other character to see what happens differently.

Aro-kun

Pokemon trainer
    Years
  • yea ive been thinkin the same thing. i was gonna try to do somethin like that in my hack. Any one know if its possible to do this in a hack atleast?
    That would make the games more interseting.

Leafeon1201

Leafeon Expert
    Years
  • I agree. I think they should have different story lines depending on there personality too. Idk if that is asking toooooo much but i think it'll make the game more diverse

crobatdeluxe

You can't be a legend...
    Years
  • Yeah, you are right. The only difference is the Pokemon, which does not actually counts. Maybe if you picked Boy, you will be doing this story. And if you picked girl, you will be doing that story, totally different from the boys. Oh. and the Pokemon. If you picked the boy, you will find hardy wild Pokemon. One that is tough and good for battles, and if you picked girl, the wild will be cute pokemon, one that is good for contests. Who agrees with me? <raises hands>

templekeeper

Remember: you're a member!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2010
    How much of the fanbase would benefit? The target audience could care less. Sorry, we're elitists and have to deal with it. The market demands games that, while suitable for the Smogon community, are primarily still geared towards the tweeny audience if not three years younger than. DP was hard enough for them let alone Pt, and changing it up with these additional choices is too much for such a large share of the market to handle. Thwe current formula works. While seriously flawed, they will stick to it.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Insert random filler here.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I'm gonna throw this into General Gaming since this has more to do with the main games than spinoffs (which is what this forum mainly encompasses).

I definitely agree though. It would make me want to play through more than once.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 22, 2009
    Yeees, it'd be so much betterr (:
    and tbh the two characters you can choose look pretty baad :|

Ayselipera

I would like it if you had the option of many characters, but I don't think the each character getting a different story would be a good idea. I would find that annoying if I wanted to be a certain person, but couldn't have the storyline I wanted. I think it would be good to chose what storyline you want and character.

Yaliw

Water/Steel/Fighting Trainer
    Years
  • Instead of being gender specific why not there just be more instances where you have to make a decision where the story goes? such as do you chase after team rocket to "mewtwo's lair" or do you fight off the incoming Rayquaza? naturally this is just an example so don't try to look like a smart..butt and talk to me about balance.

also why do i have to pick between a french male (DPPt) and an anorexic girl? why cant i look like a psychic or a fat guy or an old guy? Variety is key

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    The Internet is the only place players will likely find a confirmation that different rivals have different personalities (would be nice to see the scornful type again), while it is also a place they can find out every piece of dialogue each one says.

Personally I'd rather just read the others' dialogue on Bulbapedia or some place.

You're right though, the characters do need more livening up.

Years
  • Yeah, you are right. The only difference is the Pokemon, which does not actually counts. Maybe if you picked Boy, you will be doing this story. And if you picked girl, you will be doing that story, totally different from the boys. Oh. and the Pokemon. If you picked the boy, you will find hardy wild Pokemon. One that is tough and good for battles, and if you picked girl, the wild will be cute pokemon, one that is good for contests. Who agrees with me? <raises hands>

I don't think that this would ever happen because that might be stereotypical, and that would limit the choices of pokemon. If that happened, then the boy would never be able to have a Blissey on his team, and the girl would never be able to have Metagross.

I agree that it would be pretty cool and interesting to be able to play as different characters. They would have to have multiple story lines though. It is unlikely that a veteran or cue ball would have a worried mother and a kid as a rival. I also think that it would be nice to pick out the starting pokemon from a wider assortment than grass, water, and fire types. I don't think that this would ever happen though. It would be too hard to write so many different stories. I doubt that it would happen because it's just too tedious to create so many stories. They could create the ability to design the character sprite so that the male character isn't always wearing a red hat. That would bring a tiny bit diversity without causing too much difficulty. Future games will probably have the option of changing the character's appearance, but after so many games, I don't think that they will change a story that has clearly worked in the past. It will probably always be a boy/girl traveling away from home with a pokemon obtained from a professor named after a tree. There will also always be a rival, gyms, and a pokemon league.

Variety would be nice, but I don't think there will be the freedom of choosing characters.

Fire Eagle

The Pokemon Legend
    Years
  • If the games were like that, I would pick the guy as my character and another guy as my rival, just like Pokemon Gold, Silver, Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. I would also make them have the same clothes on as well, but different color appearances.

Years
  • Yeah, to me that sounds like it would be better. Like in Kotor 2, if you choose male you get like Handmaiden and the scripts become different, if your female you get Disciple and different scripts. Same is if you choose light side or dark, they're all different! That's what it should be like. Good thinking Will!

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
  • Nah.
    The idea of a different personality is okay, but not the idea of a different story line.
    It could be seen as sexist, saying all guys want to do this, and all girls want to do that.
    Because, not every girl will want to be in a contest, and not every male would want to battle. It would just be unfair.

So, maybe they could make an option of what your rivals personality is? Perhaps, determined, friendly, mean and things along those lines?

I think that would work better.

*Nayz*

a.k.a L_Judah
    Years
  • . Oh. and the Pokemon. If you picked the boy, you will find hardy wild Pokemon. One that is tough and good for battles, and if you picked girl, the wild will be cute pokemon, one that is good for contests. Who agrees with me? <raises hands>

^^
    I personally think that would be a dumb idea and it plays on stereotypes.

Differentiation is a good idea but basing it on gender in that manner is not.

Back