• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What are EVs and IVs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2014
    I honestly don't know what these are since Black and White when I first heard about them. Now in Pokemon X and Y I've heard it's way easier to train your IVs and EVs, what are they? How can I tell if my pokemon has perfect IVs? Is there such thing as perfect EVs? What is the difference between the two? I've also done alot of super-training on my pokemon for example, Noivern, I have trained only his special attack until it was maxed and my speed until it was maxed, that's when I was told that Noivern is a fully trained pokemon. I just want someone to please explain to me all of these things that I don't know of.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2013
    EVs stand for Effort Values. In the past they would be given only through battling, and they were hidden. So every time you defeated a pokemon, depending on what that pokemon was your guy would get a hidden "EV" in any of his stats.

Four EV's = one stat point that you can see. So EV training is basically just boosting your stats appropriately, they are what you are able to control outside of just base stats, so you could boost your guys HP, SP. Atk, Speed, etc.

Now Super Training in this gen is basically the easier way to EV train. So what you have done with your Noivern is maxed your EV's (which get capped at 252) and thus increased his Special Attack and Speed stats.

IV's are Individual Values. They are pretty much just like genes. So one level 100 Gengar will have differing stats to another one depending on their IVs.

IVs are randomly assigned to a pokemon from 0 - 31. The higher the better, and each IV represents 1 stat point in the end by the time you're at level 100.

So when you want to raise a competitive pokemon, a perfect Noivern would ideally have 31 Sp.Atk and Speed IVS, and fully trained in both Sp.Atk and Speed EVS.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    EVs are Effort Values. Underlying numbers that raise a pokemon's base stat, causing that stat to grow more upon leveling up (provided you don't use rare candies)

in X and Y, EVs can be manipulated in Super Training. You cannot see the exact number of EVs you have, but the hexagon shows how your EVs are spread out. Each pokemon can get up to 510 EVs, and each stat has an EV cap of 252. If you wanna split it almost 50% for Noivern, you can do 252 Special Attack (training until they tell you SpAtk is maxed) and 252 Speed (train until they tell you maxed) and then put the remaining 6 in HP. When your pokemon is "fully super trained", it has 510 EVs divided up among its stats whether you put them there through super training or if it just happened while you were playing. You picked the right generation to learn about EVs, because fully EV training in super training only takes about 2 hours at most. In older games, you had to do this tedious regimen that took at least 7 hours. "Perfect" EVs for a pokemon are considered to be putting the EVs where it counts the most. A perfect EV'd Noivern has maxed Special Attack and maxed Speed.

IVs are individual values, and are a bit more tricky. IVs are underlying values given to your pokemon upon hatching, and cannot be altered no matter what. The only way for you to manipulate IVs is by breeding, and it is very complex to do. If you're not interested in going full competitive, I would suggest not bothering with IV Breeding because it will drive you crazy. IVs can be found using an online IV calculator, although there is no working one for Generation 6 right now because it is so new. The difference between IV and EV is that you cannot change your IVs at all.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2013
    IVs aren't too difficult now either, because they've changed a few breeding mechanics.

It's also not THAT important to get a perfect 31. Mid 20's and above is fine as well.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2014
    Okay, now I know how to increase the base stats (EVs) of my pokemon, how do I increase the IVs of my pokemon? Do I have to be level 100? Do I have to do something else? What do I have to do?

dlanijer

Dual Wielding
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2013
    To elaborate, a Pokémon's potential stats don't change. You can increase its base stats through effort, but as the fan term "individual values" may suggest, their certain strengths are a permanent part of the Pokémon like their Nature is.
    To piggyback off of Hiroshi and as mentioned above, without the ability to "increase" a monster's "potential" - the only way to get better base stats is to find a monster in the wild with better base stats or breed to possibly pass down the base stats from the parent monsters to the egg.

Or trade.. or.. >_>

bluestars83

Your friendly neighborhood Ace Trainer :)
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 6, 2016
    I also would like to know about this in more detail. I'm pretty confused by everything i've seen on forums and youtube videos and the like. I'm currently breeding Charmanders until i get a shiny one. However, after i've hatched a batch of eggs i always check the summary of each charmander. I've noticed that by their stats some of the Charmanders have 6's down the board. Are these the 'IVs' that every is relating to? I don't release any of the eggs i hatch as i usually wonder trade them all once a shiny hatches. But i'm extremely curious about these 'IVs',

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Don't post in threads that are over a month old. It's considered thread revival, which is against the forum rules. d: Since you're confused about EVs and IVs, bluestars83, please head over to Pokémon Gaming General and post a reply to General Quick Questions & Answers. Hopefully, somebody will answer your post pretty soon!

Thread locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back