• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do people have against pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Why do people hate pokemon.Now,I'm not saying that all of them do it's just most of my friend's parents either think"It's the worst show on earth"or"It's bad for you don't watch it"Alot people like anime now they rather watch Hamtaro than pokemon saying it's to babyish.I bring out a pokemon book out one day a school and the boy next to me's like you like pokemon yuck.I just wanna know why do people hate it all of a sudden.

stewie&rupert

the evil Senior Member
    Years
    u just answered ur own question. people think the show is to babyish and g*y. the show is babyish but the game is more than enough to cover that fact. pokemon games r in my opinion one of the best games out there.

BladeForever

[-+= Black Knight =+-]
    Years
    Well it's not so hard to figure out if you think about it. =/ Some people dont like the idea of watching little monsters fight each other, and that appears to them as ''childish'' or ''boring'' I had a few friends that dont like it because of the show being so ''kind'' if you know what I mean.. Like there will be a time when they start making a speech talking about how you must work together with your pokemon, train hard and blah blah blah, and peeps just dont like stuff like that. Many people have different ''styles'' or taste in things, so you have to consider that too. I for one no longer watch pokemon like I use to, it's just one of those things I start to grow out of, but not completly considering I grew up with Pokemon. Like Piromunkie said, religion also falls into this, people just see them as little devils, or like there ''evil'' or some sort. Wont see me give up on pokemon games anytime soon though. (wont be surprised if I dont make since, seeming I'm tired..)

~Blade~

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    1) I would blame the way Nintendo marketed the Pok?mon games in America. They ran commercials that appealed to younger kids and basically gave people the idea that Pok?mon is childish and reserved only got little kids to play. In turn, the conformist youth of America automatically labeled it as a childish kiddy game without ever playing it. I know there are some Anti-Pok?mon people out there who have played the games and have valid reasons to hate it, but that's just their honest opinion that I can accept.

2) There were sects of extremely fundamentalists Christians that criticized Pok?mon as satanic because it portrayed dragonic and demonic creatures as noble warriors (i.e. the dragonic Charizard being depicted as a powerful and loyal battler) and also the fact that the supernatural (which is considered satanic by fundamentalist Christians for some reason...) were highly celebrated (i.e. Psychics, ghosts, and darks being among the most powerful pok?mon available). I was surfing the net one day, looking for a good site to order T-shirts for my church youth group, and I found a Christian Video Game review site. I looked around there a bit out of curiosity, and I was outraged when they gave SSBM a mediocre score just because there were pok?mon characters in it.

oooh..one of my few ranty posts. XD

stewie&rupert

the evil Senior Member
    Years
    medeocre score on SSB:M!!! im infruriated!!ssb:m is the trademark gamecube game,not only that but its the best even if they forgot to put shadow and megaman and afew other great characters.*tries to get back on topic*

the three reasons are bassically bcuz of the show, religion, and nintendos great rating markating skills.
    the only thing that matters to me is the manga and the game. if they base the pkmn games become based on the manga they'll be in bisnius, and flooded by loads of cash:D

Teddiursa

Cruiserweight Champion
    Years
    I think people just grew out of it, the fad ended and the majority of people decided they didn't like it anymore, I still love the show but none of my friends do, this eventually happends with everything.

Rose Flame

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2004
    I watch the show everyday, and my friends make fun of me for it. Well, actually, they didn't REALLY start making fun of me till I started carrying on a conversation with one of my friend's nephew about pokemon's character developement. The problem? He's only eight :P
    I do think the major factor is that pokemon is portrayed as a very cutesy type of show, and there's also that pesky stereotype that "cartoons are for kids". I don't think that religion is a factor that much anymore; I mean, the pope gave his blessing to pokemon after (I think) going to one of the movie premiers in europe, so that seemed to settle talk of pokemon being demonic.

Timbjerr

Years
    Rose Flame said:
    I watch the show everyday, and my friends make fun of me for it. Well, actually, they didn't REALLY start making fun of me till I started carrying on a conversation with one of my friend's nephew about pokemon's character developement. The problem? He's only eight :P
    I do think the major factor is that pokemon is portrayed as a very cutesy type of show, and there's also that pesky stereotype that "cartoons are for kids". I don't think that religion is a factor that much anymore; I mean, the pope gave his blessing to pokemon after (I think) going to one of the movie premiers in europe, so that seemed to settle talk of pokemon being demonic.
    I do seem to recall hearing that the pope did bless Pok?mon on the grounds that it "celebrated the ties of friendship"...meh. So Catholics can play pok?mon and stuff, but the fundamentalist chirstians that I described earlier are not Catholic.

~Ozy~

PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
    Years
    Still...You can't get much more Christian than the Pope.

Anyway, the religion arguements didn't convince a lot of people, instead it made them (the fundamentalists) seem even more bigoted and stupid than ever. At least that's been my experience. The real reason I think, is that a lot of the fans early on never got as devoted to it as we are. Thus, when the people who never bothered/lost intrest started bashing it (while most of us were just entering middle school) the less devoted joined in, hoping to get ahead in the great popularity race. These voices reached the fence-sitters to a greater extent than ours and things came to their logical conclusion.

^^NICK^^ v.3.0

Original Nick
    Years
    pokey a.k.a espeon said:
    Why do people hate pokemon.Now,I'm not saying that all of them do it's just most of my friend's parents either think"It's the worst show on earth"or"It's bad for you don't watch it"Alot people like anime now they rather watch Hamtaro than pokemon saying it's to babyish.I bring out a pokemon book out one day a school and the boy next to me's like you like pokemon yuck.I just wanna know why do people hate it all of a sudden.
    All of a sudden? Where have you been? People stopped liking Pok?mon in 1999, and it just went downhill from there. There are still Pok?Fans out there, but not as many lovers as there are haters. I think, like Blade stated, people don't like the show because of the happy message it sends out. After all, the show is aimed at young audiences. I do know a few people who like the games. My neighbor always asks to borrow my Sapphire Version, and my friend in school was playing the Red version in June.

Jacob Madrox

Go Smoke your lungs out
    Years
    Pokemon Haters, this is a great topic, and argument. I don't seem to understand why people don't like pokemon, I love them, I absolutely love Skarmory too, I actually will restart my game if I cant catch one. anyway, back to the haters....These people, that hate these magical creatures....They just don't understand the concept of "fun" it's all for fun, and those people that diss me or you, whoever may be reading this, they just have a deepening sadness inside of them, wherever it may be inside them.

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    That Carole Boston Weatheford is racist to Japanese ppl, and doesn't like the fact that Pokemon is more popular than American cartoons.
    So she published a news article saying that Pokemon is racist! =.=
    And tried to ban Pokemon in US, but failed, though she banned one Pokemon from the cartoon.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Some silly ppl think that Pokemon is violent...
    A lot of B***ish people show repel to Japanese cartoons.
    So do some A*****an ppl.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Many ppl think that Pokemon is evil, because they are monsters/ have "super power"/ looks strange...
    --------------------------------------------------------
    In India, Pokemon is claimed to be the fact of money lost. As the children spent most of their money on Pokemon, so Pokemon is now banned in India.
    In Muslim countries, Pokemon is claimed to be the reason why the children cannot focus when praying.
    So Pokemon is also banned in most Muslim countries.

Jacob Madrox

Go Smoke your lungs out
    Years
    jynx said:
    Many ppl think that Pokemon is evil, because they are monsters/ have "super power"/ looks strange...
    and those people are probably the same people who dissed harry potter when it finally came to america. Simply put, some people who don't like pokemon hate it because it is a Japanese creation, and they are silly racists.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2008
    The Fact

From a famous "Animation 1999 vol.36" magazine
    Top 10 reasons to Dislike Pokemon:
    1)The game itself is very cheap, even for a game boy game. The graphics,animation and sound are all very uninspiried. Their is no plot besides a weak plot to beat your rival, aparently they throught the level building (or as they call it "training") would be enough. Of course they where wrong. I hear how great the game is, I used to own pokemon red, I beat the weak *** plot in 3 weeks of that time, then I sold it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2)the TV show, this is used to premote pokemon to people to further optomize their profit. The show itself is very poorly done, at first it was okay, but it's been going down so much new pokemon and new characters are popping up every episode. It's going down pretty sadly if you ask me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3)People and pokemon, somehow the game and show combined have an acute side effect on people. After watching the show and playing the video game the fans seem to lose the fragile grip on reality, half convinced that pokemon is real. Pokemon has brainwashed people, turning them into weirdeos that entertain a conversation without mentioning their prescious game cartrage or TV show, If you disagree with you in an way they will blow up and go completely beserk.

4) the card game. Do I even have to talk aganst this? The cards are like drugs, produced for maybe 25 cents a sheet and sold at 4-5 dollars. The cards are little more than another way to leech money out of people by applying the cute little creatures to cards and selling them. It worked well, pokemon cards raked in money. As for the buyers, they have fought amonst themselves, school yards have banned them and parents should consider it before buying them.

5) The creatures. The pokemon themselves are just a scam to get the public eye. Looking at them, notice all of them are either cute and cuddly or are powerful looking and big. The pokemon are just puppets to "aww" the brainless masses into buying this junk.

6)The N64 games. I mean how bad can It get? using a system you think you'd get better results right? Pokemon stadium brang us even less, I personally was disapointed with the animations feeling they could have put more effort into it, but more the point this game delivers even less than the pokemon game boy game did. It's the same thing, all you do is fight, now you don't have anything to do BUT fight.

7)Now about pokemon snap. The whole game ruined a good idea, I myself would like to see other companies make a nature safari game using the same gaming engine. But the game is not only short and brief, it's incredibly pointless.

8)The movie, It was not nearly as good as some other anime movies. I also found the plot to be very hohum, an evil pokemon comes and you have to defeat it. If thats not old I don't know what is.

9)The merchindice. I talked about pokemon cards, but this goes far beyond that. The pokemon merchindice is fanatical, their are pokemon canned foods,candies,stickers,toys,books,posters,t-shirts and just about everything imaginable. The limit to how far it streches is mind boggling

10)The whole pokemon thing is just trying to start over again by adding more pokemon and new characters to the show, It seems to be working as the pokemon fans are eating it right up. It may not end soon enough but hopefully pokemon will be ended soon.

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    Huh? So many spelling mistakes in a magazine?
    What kind of junk magazine that is!
    That magazine's gonna b one of the worst 10!

~Ozy~

PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
    Years
    Alright, here's my basic deconstruction of that "article:"
    1)The game itself is very cheap, even for a game boy game. The graphics,animation and sound are all very uninspiried. Their is no plot besides a weak plot to beat your rival, aparently they throught the level building (or as they call it "training") would be enough. Of course they where wrong. I hear how great the game is, I used to own pokemon red, I beat the weak *** plot in 3 weeks of that time, then I sold it.
    Ah, I see, so games that allow the player an incredible amount of choice and customization suddenly have weak plots? Granted, Pokemon never had a strong one, but it diddn't need it. The game itself, and the thrill of battle, of earning a new badge could keep people gong for a good while. And really, does this person have any idea of what your average Gameboy RPG looks like? Really, weak graphics and music? It appears that they've done nothing more than look at a couple screenshots, played it a bit and made a mistaken final judgement. And don't you just love the sweeping generalization of "level building would be enough. Of course, they were wrong." Good God, how many of you can remember the first Pokemon you raised to level 100 all on your own, with no rare candies. I know I can. I still remember the exact date, time, number of hours clocked on my game, and exact location. It's a euphoria I've rarely felt since.

2)the TV show, this is used to premote pokemon to people to further optomize their profit. The show itself is very poorly done, at first it was okay, but it's been going down so much new pokemon and new characters are popping up every episode. It's going down pretty sadly if you ask me.
    Well, yes, they have a somewhat valid point here, the show is a marketing tool designed to make more money for Nintendo. I assume that Marvel still produces X-Men comics so that fanboys/girls can enjoy them? Now really, all corporations are out to make money and Nintendo is no different. They saw they had a phenom here and pounced at the oppourtunity. Yes, the animation quality in the early episodes is poor, but that never really mattered to most of us, I'd wager. We loved seeing the battles and such, most of us hated Gary for being such a jerk to a good trainer, and we wanted to see Ash and Misty's relationship go somewhere. Most of us were 10-12 at the time, what would you expect? Pokemon was never meant to be a thought-provoking drama or anything, it was meant to be something to enjoy for a quick 30 minutes on a Saturday morning. And of course they're going to introduce new Pokemon and spend time on that, as stated above, it's a marketing tool.

3)People and pokemon, somehow the game and show combined have an acute side effect on people. After watching the show and playing the video game the fans seem to lose the fragile grip on reality, half convinced that pokemon is real. Pokemon has brainwashed people, turning them into weirdeos that entertain a conversation without mentioning their prescious game cartrage or TV show, If you disagree with you in an way they will blow up and go completely beserk.
    Hmmm, I never lost my grip on reality until a brief stage where I stopped likeing Pokemon. Where did this person get the "information" that Pokemon causes loss of a firmn grip on reality? And I personally never went beserk on the people wwho insulted Pkemon straight to my face, I'd say that it was a matter of opinion, walk away, and continue playing Yellow in peace.

4) the card game. Do I even have to talk aganst this? The cards are like drugs, produced for maybe 25 cents a sheet and sold at 4-5 dollars. The cards are little more than another way to leech money out of people by applying the cute little creatures to cards and selling them. It worked well, pokemon cards raked in money. As for the buyers, they have fought amonst themselves, school yards have banned them and parents should consider it before buying them.
    Again, of course it's a marketing tool. But furthermore, I found the card game fun. Did this person ever consider that people do things because they find them fun? Fuirthermore, I never payed $5 for an individual card that wasn't well worth putting in my deck. I'd also like to see the source they used for this information, it would really help credulity.

5) The creatures. The pokemon themselves are just a scam to get the public eye. Looking at them, notice all of them are either cute and cuddly or are powerful looking and big. The pokemon are just puppets to "aww" the brainless masses into buying this junk.
    Really? The first time I ever saw Squritle, widely regarded as one of the "cute" Pokemon, on my Gameboy, I thought he was butt-ugly. And again, of course they're going to design them to appeal to people, of course they need something that will market well. Otherwise it wouldn't really sell, would it now? It's for the same basic reason that all the female characters from X-Men wear skintight outfits for the most part.

6)The N64 games. I mean how bad can It get? using a system you think you'd get better results right? Pokemon stadium brang us even less, I personally was disapointed with the animations feeling they could have put more effort into it, but more the point this game delivers even less than the pokemon game boy game did. It's the same thing, all you do is fight, now you don't have anything to do BUT fight.
    And it's called "Stadium" for that reason, you battle your Pokemon in a stadium. Furthermore, there are the mini-games to keep you occupied when you've had a battle overload. To be honest, I never expected much out of the Stadium games, I saw them as something fun to play while you needed to kill some time, not as a long, hardcore, Final Fantasy-type endeavor.

7)Now about pokemon snap. The whole game ruined a good idea, I myself would like to see other companies make a nature safari game using the same gaming engine. But the game is not only short and brief, it's incredibly pointless.
    Snap never really appealed to me, but it did to some because it was fun. Furthermore, they say they'd like to see other "safari" type games, but at the end say it's "pointless." They appear to be basing the entire fact that it seems pointless to them on the inclusion of Pokemon.

8)The movie, It was not nearly as good as some other anime movies. I also found the plot to be very hohum, an evil pokemon comes and you have to defeat it. If thats not old I don't know what is.
    Now really, did the author pay any attention to the movie? Did they even see it? It was an indictment of human arrogance. Furthermore, Mewtwo was never defeated, he saw that human's aren't all bad and decided to leave them in peace. Ash died in the movie for Christ's sakes, to save the Pokemon, both clone and natural. Doesn't sound like the kind of thing that someone trying to defeat an evil Poke-clone would do, no? Of course the end of the dub developed into a bunch of pretentious, moral BS, but I didn't really expect anything else, seeing as how it was targeted at a younger audience.

9)The merchindice. I talked about pokemon cards, but this goes far beyond that. The pokemon merchindice is fanatical, their are pokemon canned foods,candies,stickers,toys,books,posters,t-shirts and just about everything imaginable. The limit to how far it streches is mind boggling
    And most of this merchandise disgusted he real fans of Pokemon. I know it did me. But American companies wanted a piece of the pie too, so the got a lisencing deal with Nintendo, slapped a Pikachu sticker on a cheap backpack, and viola! It's instant money!

10)The whole pokemon thing is just trying to start over again by adding more pokemon and new characters to the show, It seems to be working as the pokemon fans are eating it right up. It may not end soon enough but hopefully pokemon will be ended soon.
    Again, corporations want money. Nintendo saw they still had a market and so they jumped at the chance to continue it. How would that be done? By making an entirely new game, moving the TV seires into that game's world, and adding new Pokemon. As long as Pokemon has a sufficient fanbase, Nintendo will continue the series.

Timbjerr

Years
    I would comment on avid.com's post, but it appears that The Adamant Dodger already did it, thus saving me another ranty post. XD

what is at www.avid.com?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back