• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do people have against ubers?

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Wobbuffet can also Encore and then they will know EXACTLY what move the pokemon will use, and know how to counter/mirror coat it, you seemed to forget it, so can Wynaut, hence why he's on most UBER lists too. And then he can destiny bond if he's low on health, taking out 2-3 of one persons pokemon with just one pokemon.

Yeah, Wynaut is technically an uber, but in practice I think it's silly since it doesn't have enough HP (I mean 95 base, with 48 in the defenses too) to pull off more than one proper Counter or Mirror Coat. Should at least be shifted to OU, imo. Destiny Bond isn't generally used on Wobbuffet, though, since it's too slow to pull it off most of the time; people tend to prefer Safeguard for team support and protection against Toxic and similar moves. :3

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
    My philosophy is that anyone who has to depend on legendaries to win battles is too unskilled to raise a competent team of non-legendaries, and thus not even worth thwomping. My team is apparently well-trained enough to take out even a team of hacked legendaries, though, as I have taken on a team or two of those. Damn Sacred Fire-using, non-Slow Starting Regigigas was irritating.

As for Wobbuffet, go right ahead. With the new P/S split, prediction gets somewhat harder. Besides, all I have to do is poison then out-wall it, or put it to sleep. Done. The irony of Wobbuffet is that everyone knows exactly what it's going to do.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I have nothing against ubers, but I usually don't place them in my "main battle party" since I know they'll be banned in places like the Battle Tower and whatnot. But the reason I think that people ban ubers is not because they're mad that they get beat by them, but because they want...a "fair" fight, using average-stated Pokemon? It might not seem all that fair, limiting your choice of Pokemon, but it's probably what they think gives both teams an equal chance to win.

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
    Ah, I didn't notice that someone had also asked about Wobbuffet in this thread.

But I also notice that not all of the Legendaries (such as Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, etc) are Ubers. Are they not strong enough?

Cross

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2008
    I'm not against Ubers, I just don't use them competitively.
    What's the point of using something that assures your win, or better yet, something that someone has an amazing counter too?

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    I'm assuming that Ubers are Legendary Pokemon.

Well, I think that's the problem with having a Lv. 100 cap in Pokemon. I remember the day when Pokemon fans used to love taking their Legendaries and going against another person with Legendaries. But all of a sudden, now people don't like them. And now it's getting to the point where people aren't liking other Pokemon too (e.g. Wobbuffet). Eventually, it'll get to where you can only use basic ground and beginner Pokemon in those battles.

Kind of stupid, eh? But that's the direction it's going.

Last edited:

Melody

Banned
    Years
    heh...I have to say that's what I fear as well...
    People make a big deal out of an uber using trainer because he wins. If someone stomps you with ubers then roud up your ubers and take them on again...Stomp the living snot outta them...If you cant beat them in an Uber vs. Uber fight then they are more skilled than you are...
    I dont see why people whine...a good trainer can take whatever comes their way...
    The Tier system is nothing but a guide It tells you how strong a pokemon is naturally...It also tells you how much a pokemon is used in battle...
    honestly I think there should be no limits....If you arent good enough to find a counter for that one opponent you cant beat then you arent good enough to beat them.

People fear losing...It's immature to cry "that wasnt fair!" because someone caught you off guard with an Uber team...
    Another mistake people make is filling their party with all of their favorite pokemon....I know you may be attached to a certain pokemon but if It consistently get's it's butt whipped then consider boxing it when you are battling other people....

On Uber Legendaries...I dont know why people hate them...They are strong...If someone with a mewtwo come and whips my tail you can be sure that i'm gonna rematch them and whip the mewtwo's tail with a darkrai...

People sometimes forget that you cannot ever build a perfect team...
    What makes me mad about the whole thing is when someone finds a fairly airtight strategy it gets banned as soon as it hits widestream use...
    Dont ban what works!
    IMO, if you cant handle losing without screaming for the other guy's team to be banned then you are a very very poor sportsman.
    That is what's happening...

I'm assuming that Ubers are Legendary Pokemon.

Well, I think that's the problem with having a Lv. 100 cap in Pokemon. I remember the day when Pokemon fans used to love taking their Legendaries and going against another person with Legendaries. But all of a sudden, now people don't like them. And now it's getting to the point where people aren't liking other Pokemon too (e.g. Wobbuffet). Eventually, it'll get to where you can only use basic ground and beginner Pokemon in those battles.

Kind of stupid, eh? But that's the direction it's going.
    BTW, You are assuming incorrectly...Not all legendaries are Ubers...See some of the previous posts on this page to clarify to yourself the meaning of Uber.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2021
    Ubers are basically a way of trainers to whine and moan about their inability to defeat a level 100 legendary.

It's not that hard. Loads of the legends are Psychic types, so use a freaking Dark or Bug attack.

Megahorn says hi, Mewtwo.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    Ubers are basically a way of trainers to whine and moan about their inability to defeat a level 100 legendary.

It's not that hard. Loads of the legends are Psychic types, so use a freaking Dark or Bug attack.

I love Scizor for this reason.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years

Not really, seeing as how Mewtwo can outspeed a Heracross and OHKO it with Psychic, same for the latis, while Lugia will just sit there and laugh at your Megahorn (Usually from behind the protection of Reflect) before getting rid of the damage with Recover. Also, most ubers can simply pressure stall your PP away with recovery moves or substitute. The notion of a super effective hit equaling a win makes me laugh, really does. The fact that you mentioned legendaries in your first post is a pretty clear sign that A) you don't know what ubers are, and B) you haven't read most of the posts here explaining that, so I won't bother with picking on this argument further. Read before you post, please.

Poketrainer2004's faulty assumption of brute power-mashing being the same as good strategy also makes me very sad. Don't ban what works my arse, if this was about some kind of strategic combination like Skarmbliss then I would agree with you, but imo every player has the right to play within whatever tier they damn well please. If they don't want to play ubers (or against them) then they are entitled to their choice; you demanding them to change their mind is about as justified as me demanding you to face my whole-OU team using a team made of only Unown and Magikarp. I for one know how to counter ubers, but that doesn't mean that I like facing the endless waves of clueless ubershippers out there. It's not a matter of skill; it's a matter of choice, I've chosen to aim for tiers where there are more competent players (ones who aren't so estranged from the concept of strategy that they'd need to hind behind over-the-top statlines to win <.<) and thus more interesting games. Ubers are generally detrimental for developing skills at the game because they require so little of it themselves. If I find someone who does know how to play well (Despite using ubers) then I could respect that, but people who clearly don't have a clue (Solarbeam Groudon and whatnot) just feel like a waste of time. I've even run into people on Netbattle sporting the 'no ubers' thing right above the big red lable on their team that says '6 ubers'. That's not about wanting to play your favourites anymore; it's consciously seeking an unfair advantage over the opponent.

Oh, and on SBaby's point: I see where you're getting at, but the 'no limitations' approach, on the other hand, is encroaching on the rights of every pokémon in the NU, BL, and UU tiers as they - in the presence of ubers - will become unplayable for practical reasons. Is it any more fair, then, to deny the fans of all these pokémon (who are already out of the spotlight because of the merchandisers' tendency to favour ubers and legendaries (Which, I must point out, still aren't the same thing)) the right to proudly play their favourites and actually have a chance of winning with them? You also seem to be under the peculiar impression that these tiers are set up through some normative process of 'liking'. That, with all due respect, is absolute nonsense. Once more: the tiers are pirmarily set up based on the comparative power levels of the pokémon for reasons I've repeated many times already and won't repeat again. The popularity aspect is secondary. :\

I really don't see why people can't just accept the tiers and stick to them. If there are, as has been claimed, lots of people who want to play ubers then I don't see why those people don't just get together and do that instead of whining about how unfair it is that other people don't feel like battling a team setup of Arceus/Mewtwo/Kyogre etc. This is a game, people, and others have the right to decide whether they want to play with you or not.

Last edited:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Oh, and on SBaby's point: I see where you're getting at, but the 'no limitations' approach, on the other hand, is encroaching on the rights of every pokémon in the NU, BL, and UU tiers as they - in the presence of ubers - will become unplayable for practical reasons. Is it any more fair, then, to deny the fans of all these pokémon (who are already out of the spotlight because of the merchandisers' tendency to favour ubers and legendaries (Which, I must point out, still aren't the same thing)) the right to proudly play their favourites and actually have a chance of winning with them? You also seem to be under the peculiar impression that these tiers are set up through some normative process of 'liking'. That, with all due respect, is absolute nonsense. Once more: the tiers are pirmarily set up based on the comparative power levels of the pokémon for reasons I've repeated many times already and won't repeat again. The popularity aspect is secondary. :\

All right! That's like the third time the site's bugged out on me. Let's try posting this again.

Not really through a process of 'liking', but more like the, 'Oh, I can't win against that Pokemon, so it's banned from my game'. That seems to be the trend. And if it keeps up, like I said, it'll get to the point where only very basic Pokemon are even allowed anymore. You watch. It'll happen. Because somewhere down the line, someone will find issues with the currently allowed Pokemon.

But I do tell you that removing the level cap in Pokemon games would definitely solve alot of issues facing them (and I was talking about the games there, not the on-line battling thing).

Things like this are why I started PD-20 in the first place. I was just so sick of all the whining about ubers. Changing the battle system in the process to help balance the game was just a perk.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2021
    Not really, seeing as how Mewtwo can outspeed a Heracross and OHKO it with Psychic, same for the latis, while Lugia will just sit there and laugh at your Megahorn (Usually from behind the protection of Reflect) before getting rid of the damage with Recover. Also, most ubers can simply pressure stall your PP away with recovery moves or substitute. The notion of a super effective hit equaling a win makes me laugh, really does. The fact that you mentioned legendaries in your first post is a pretty clear sign that A) you don't know what ubers are, and B) you haven't read most of the posts here explaining that, so I won't bother with picking on this argument further. Read before you post, please.

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot that only Heracross learns Megahorn. Forgive me for failing to mention the minority of the ubers list, such as Salamance, Metagross, and Garchomp because as I recall, legendaries are a majority on every uber list.,which must have misled you into believing I'm not informed on how ubers work and which Pokemon are ubers.

Also, I fail to see how mentioning legendaries in an uber topic is considered a sign that I have no form of intelligence on forum posting and Pokemon mechanics.

This really isn't worth arguing over, so please don't instantly judge a person's intelligence by his post count. I know perfectly well on what ubers are and how they work, so there's no need to act like legendaries with Substitute/Recover/Reflect/etc cannot be beaten. Besides, who in their right mind would Megahorn a Lugia?

~Diggeh

Last edited:

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    SBaby said:
    All right! That's like the third time the site's bugged out on me. Let's try posting this again.

Not really through a process of 'liking', but more like the, 'Oh, I can't win against that Pokemon, so it's banned from my game'. That seems to be the trend. And if it keeps up, like I said, it'll get to the point where only very basic Pokemon are even allowed anymore. You watch. It'll happen. Because somewhere down the line, someone will find issues with the currently allowed Pokemon.

But I do tell you that removing the level cap in Pokemon games would definitely solve alot of issues facing them (and I was talking about the games there, not the on-line battling thing).

Things like this are why I started PD-20 in the first place. I was just so sick of all the whining about ubers. Changing the battle system in the process to help balance the game was just a perk.

Ahh...now I see what you're getting at. However, the practice you're referring to is a bit different from the tiers. Slapping a ban on anything that beats you is commonly known as 'N00Bclausing' and is actually not endorsed by the majority of competitive players. The shifts in the tiers, on the other hand, are mostly back and forths between UU, BL, and OU, and I'd like to note that no pokémon have been added to or removed from the uber tier since the new generation came around. The smaller shifts usually occur when a pokémon either becomes largely unused because of a shift in team building trends (Meaning that it is no longer as large a threat to others as before and can thus be allowed on lower tiers) or, conversely, when a single species starts dominating its own tier and gets moved up, as was the case with Jumpluff. In the context of ubers, the tier is practically set in stone as the ones in it are there by obvious merits, and for the rest...I'm sorry, but I can't really take your doomsday prophecy of everything but basic forms being banned seriously. Like I said; the shifts in tiers are generally back and forth and no pokémon has been moved more than one tier up or down from its original. The notion of Ivysaur becoming an uber is, I'm sorry to say, downright ridiculous. I personally don't know about the console-based online battling, but that place seems far more chaotic than NB so I seriously doubt it.

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot that only Heracross learns Megahorn. Forgive me for failing to mention the minority of the ubers list, such as Salamance, Metagross, and Garchomp because as I recall, legendaries are a majority on every uber list.,which must have misled you into believing I'm not informed on how ubers work and which Pokemon are ubers.

Also, I fail to see how mentioning legendaries in an uber topic is considered a sign that I have no form of intelligence on forum posting and Pokemon mechanics.

This really isn't worth arguing over, so please don't instantly judge a person's intelligence by his post count. I know perfectly well on what ubers are and how they work, so there's no need to act like legendaries with Substitute/Recover/Reflect/etc cannot be beaten. Besides, who in their right mind would Megahorn a Lugia?

~Diggeh

How ironic...first you say that this isn't worth arguing over then you argue over this. The first of two internal contradictions that I see in this post.

First: I said absolutely nothing about anyone's intelligence in my post. I have no idea where you picked that up from but even after re-reading I can't find it. Would you care to point that part out for me, please? If not then maybe you're the one who needs to stop assuming things.

Second: I don't give a damn about post counts and I haven't even looked at yours. Again, this is a completely baseless assumption for which I can't find any support in my post.

Third: Salamence, Garchomp, and Metagross are all OUs; not ubers (See my earlier post for a list of the pokémon in the uber tier), so you'll have to forgive me if I remain 'misled' into believeing that you aren't quite aware of what does and doesn't fall into the tier. Heracross is just about the only Megahorner who would even have a fair shot at hurting ubers on account of its high Attack and STAB. Rhyperior comes close because of its Solid Rock trait, but it doesn't have the SDef for the job, unless you're willing to invest so many EVs in it that it won't manage a KO.

Finally, to answer your question: no-one in their right mind would use Megahorn on a Lugia, but you claimed that Megahorn would solve the problem of the psychic legendaries (To which Lugia belongs). That just isn't true, plain and simple. I'm not claiming that the ubers are invincible; I'm just saying that in a game between two players of comparable skill, an uber will usually drag down at least two to three OUs with it through brute force and endurance, which isn't a fair fight. Even when you do manage to KO them the 'Pressure' trait posessed by the vast majority of ubers will have sapped out a lot of your PP. This disbalance can not be erased by simply slapping on a super effective move like you claim.

Back