• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you look for in an anime?

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    I have weird anime standards, some come from my love of Pokemon and some come from my love of colors/simplicity
    Simplistic animation
    Bright animation
    Comedy
    Shounen (Sailor Moon isn't too bad of a shoujo series though)
    Also, a unique storyline is good like what Haruhi has
    and if all fails, every day life like Lucky-Star/Azumanga Daioh is good

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    The story is everything to me. Pretty characters are nice, but if there's no decent plot to toss them and turn them, then why should I continue reading/watching to know what happens? I can put up with a shoddy art style if the storyline draws me in well enough...but it won't work the other way around.

That said, the plot doesn't have to be amazing--sometimes I'm drawn in by the simplest romance plots. It just has to work well with the characters, is all I ask. :x

Xerion

Snap, Crack, Break!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2008
    It depends. Anime like Shin-Chan, are a good and funny. Anime like Bleach, are a good action anime, anime like Pokemon, that just seems to repeat every episode, are bad animes.

-Xerion

Lokhlan

Formerly "Tendo"
    Years
    It varies for me. In romance anime, I want characters that I can actually get behind and like, when things go bad for them, I want to feel bad, when they're happy, I wanna be happy. I want good obstacles in their path and have them eventually end up happy, or if it can be done really good, have it be tragic. Not too many anime do that for me, though RomeoXJuliet is the first in years that has been able to do that for me, easily my favorite anime of the year so far.

For comedy, I like slapstick when done right, like in Keroro Gunso, one of the funniest anime in years, and Hayate no Gotoku to a lesser degree, they're both really funny anime for different reasons. Keroro Gunso's still my all time favorite comedy anime though.

Outside of that, I just like seeing an anime be creative or give me interesting characters, and if it's not that, then just something that can reinvigorate a tired genre and character type.
    ^Same.

Additionally, I'm attracted to anime with dark and mature plots. I just love anime with events that make what is right and wrong hard to differentiate between.

Last edited:

L

Vocaloid fan
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2020
    Plot, good pacing, character development, good BGM, etc. That's the gist of it. But director and seiyuu are all factors for me also. For instance, if an anime was, say, being directed by Akitaroh Daichi or Junichi Sato or the lead was being voiced by Takahiro Sakurai or Fukuyama Jun, I would watch it without question. Big fan of those guys. =3

Nekonron

Aspiring Pokémon Master
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    I go for the storyline first, followed by artwork and presentation. Good soundtracks would attract me to watch a series as well. For comedy series, anything that makes me laugh is good regardless of anything else, except maybe super lame jokes.

Dr.Stiles

Word to yer mama >__>
    Years
    well i like anything thats like blood plus naruto bleach ghost in the shell so i guess alot of action lol

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    I look for action and adventure(Naruto, DBZ, FMA, Inuyasha, Bleach, Sailor Moon etc.), comedy(Ranma 1/2, Excel Saga, etc.), romance(His and Her Circumstances, Sailor Moon, Fruits Basket, etc). It has to have a wonderful storyline, plot twists, character development. Oh the storyline have to make sense or I won't get it and I will be turned off. I really don't mind the music or the art. If the art, music, and storyline are great, that would be a plus. But other than that if it has a wonderful storyline...I will love it. ^^

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    I like anime that are well drawn (especially those older than the 90's). I like the beginning of Myuutsuu no Gyakushuu, Mewtwo Strikes Back. I like when there are serious and dramatic scenes in movies, and they are often well done in anime.

Shiraishi

Orz
    Years
    Meh, I guess im unique. My fav type of main characters are the immature ones XD (naruto) Ichigo..has his funny moments. Like when Kenpachi challenged him to a fight and Ichigo ran away yelling "CAN'T CATCH ME!" XD I really do like animes in which the characters TRAVEL. I cant stand anime in which they stay in one place >:o Sadly, I liked the yugioh series O.O 1. I played the cards during that time XD 2. They`re going TO ANCIENT EGYPT? omgwtfbbqwaffles.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    I have read the YGO manga, but have only watched the 4 first anime episodes. I like YGO. The moments when Yugi has to either lose or let Kaiba die, and when Jonouchi and Yugi is forced to fight each others in the game of life and death.
    My favorite character is Bakura. Did you known that Rika Matsumoto plays his voice. The same as Satoshi.
    The part before the island is the best in YGO; they don't play the same game all the time. I haven't seen the anime when they're on the island to play the card game.

Back