• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What do you think is above Elm's lab?

Years
    Maybe it has the Healing Machine for the Pokemon like in the original. That was very useful last time. It's probably upstairs now. I actually like the thought of being able to go to the second floor without going in through the first floor. I hope more buildings are like that.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    well the houses down below are new and how do u no that silva

You're kidding right? That guy is definitely Silver, he's the only character who looks like that in the entire game... And it is known that all of those screens are from Newbark Town, so there isn't much else it could be.

And it's probably just another room for study or a room where he stays when he can't get home.

lolwut

Too cute for you
    Years
    I honestly don't think its anything at all, just extra details, in the manga gold went up there and saw silver stealing the pokeball and there was a scene up there but i don't think anything's going to happen in the game involving it.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    An attic, possibly filled with appliances for Rotom to posses to access his froms in HG/SS. Or a decorative storage area with a few Items slightly useful at the beginning of the game, like a potion or a berry.

You know what, I believe Prof. Rowan's lab had a kitchen before in DPPt. If they can really make the upstairs a kitchen sort of lcoation with items used to change Rotom to its new forms, then I think that'll actually work. Though, I can only have to say it may be through another event as the Rotom Key is not tradeable. Still, it is an idea that actually makes sense, but we'll see.

Maybe it has the Healing Machine for the Pokemon like in the original. That was very useful last time. It's probably upstairs now. I actually like the thought of being able to go to the second floor without going in through the first floor. I hope more buildings are like that.

I thought of that too. As I do remember there was a healing machine in the lab from the originals. Prof. Elm himself said we were allowed to use it to heal our Pokémon when need be. I believe this was because [I cannot remember exactly], but our mom's never fully healed our Pokémon like the other game mothers did. Anyway, it is a possibility. It can even be held upstairs and still involve the plot on how Silver stole one of the starter Pokémon.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    in another thread i joked around saying "IT ALREADY HAS A WAY DEEPER PLOT!"
    but in seriousness i hope it is a plot device- even a minor one (but i'm usually wrong, so odds are it's nothing).......
    ya know what? i don't even think the creators of the game know what it is yet- i think they are reading these posts and taking our ideas
    Lol, I think that every time I make a post. I mean, I bet Nintendo and Game Freak want to know what we want and they should just go right to the source. I always think, "Dammit, Game Freak, please see this post and consider adding this in the game! ....I'll give you a free Lava Cookie!"

Anyway, I'm thinking way differently here about the lab's upstairs. I mean, both the Kanto and Hoenn starters have been unavailable in Platinum as well as the original GSC. And now Game Freak can no longer count on RSE or FRLG, thanks in no small part to the Dsi. So it probably holds the Kanto starters. And for everyone who's thinking it's a bedroom, remember that he has a real house about 15 paces away from the lab. xD Oh, and for the people that still think his house is replaced by Gold or Soul's house, y'ever think of maybe him/her living in Cherrygrove City? Both Rowan and Lucas/Dawn live in Sandgem Town, one town ahead of the first one.

I think it's little more than an aesthetic change. We don't even know if it leads to a room or not. I think you guys are over-analyzing this a bit.
    Sure, the stairs look nice, but why would they just put them there leading to nothing? It'd be a little awkward if you tried climbing upstairs and you just hit an invisible wall.

Last edited:

KotovSyndrome_

Consumer of many asparagus.
    Years
    Hmm.. Maybe its not a second floor, but stairs to the roof, where his helipad is and you get to fly to a new area.....ok maybe not.

but knowing Pokemon, itll be something boring like a museum, library, that sort of thing, or something insanely cool.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    At the top of yhe stair case issss...

The roof

End of story
    Or a room to keep all that extra crap he has. Papers, extra equipment
    It doesn't have to be anything special

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    The staircase may lead us to a room above his lab. I think this room will be full of research papers, pokemon info etc. I really don't think that this staircase will hold key to any special event ( like rotom's forme changing).

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Yes, the upper floor being a storage for the appliances for Rotom seems to be a good point, with a small kitchen and other decorations.
    And even if this was the case, it would still be possible to add a plot point where Silver uses the upstairs to steal in some way.

But I still prefer my first idea that, it is his home.
    And his older home is now the home of the supporting character, that is the new girl, or Gold if you're the girl.

Here's a proof that both Gold and the girl live in New Bark Town:

What do you think is above Elm's lab?

I thought of that too. As I do remember there was a healing machine in the lab from the originals. Prof. Elm himself said we were allowed to use it to heal our Pokémon when need be. I believe this was because [I cannot remember exactly], but our mom's never fully healed our Pokémon like the other game mothers did. Anyway, it is a possibility. It can even be held upstairs and still involve the plot on how Silver stole one of the starter Pokémon.

Yes, it is true that the player's mom in this version would not heal you Pokemon. Instead, the Healing Machine in Professor Elm's lab would heal your pokemon.
    But unfortunately, I must break through all the possiblity of it being upstairs.

It has been confirmed that the Healing Machine still exists, and that it is still downstairs.
    Here's a proof, it's just beside Elm:

What do you think is above Elm's lab?

-

Years
    i personally think the upstairs will be locked until we beat the elite four & complete the pokedex, then we might get to choose one of the hoenn starters (comparison with emerald, as you could choose the johto starters after completeing the pokedex).
    either that or, yea, rotom forms, though i think that might be saved for the power plant in kanto.
    i dont think it'd be his house
    and i personally think the supporting character will live in cherrygrove, or in another house in new bark.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Yes, the upper floor being a storage for the appliances for Rotom seems to be a good point, with a small kitchen and other decorations.
    And even if this was the case, it would still be possible to add a plot point where Silver uses the upstairs to steal in some way.

But I still prefer my first idea that, it is his home.
    And his older home is now the home of the supporting character, that is the new girl, or Gold if you're the girl.

Here's a proof that both Gold and the girl live in New Bark Town:

Spoiler:

Yes, it is true that the player's mom in this version would not heal you Pokemon. Instead, the Healing Machine in Professor Elm's lab would heal your pokemon.
    But unfortunately, I must break through all the possiblity of it being upstairs.

It has been confirmed that the Healing Machine still exists, and that it is still downstairs.
    Here's a proof, it's just beside Elm:

Spoiler:

-

Yes, I realized my theory was incorrect after I saw this scan [last week]. So, with this being said and how not a lot of attention is being brought to it, I wouldn't expect it to be much [at least not early in the game]. For now, it could be used to fit the idea on how Silver steals one of the starters. It is a strong point, as it was how the story played along from the start in the manga. However, the female showing up in New Bark Town, as much as it may seem she could live there, your theory on how she lives in Cherrygrove is still possible. We don't know much about her as yet, and she could possibly be an assistant for the Prof. as well in the game and be here to remind us of something. So, it is still a possible idea for the new female.

As for the upstairs, like I stated it may not be anything much at the beginning besides the possible story of how Silver manages to steal one of the starters. Though, the Rotom idea seems viable, but as stated above me could be rearranged as the Power Plant may come in useful for Rotom as well. It is an interesting addition to an early location, so we'll see what happens if anything else is revealed more into it.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I like the idea of it having to do with Rotom forms, but in all likeliness, if it has anything to do with receiving any type of Pokemon, it's most likely other generation starters. But then again lol, why would you need a whole second floor for such a thing?

The idea that it is his home like someone else said also makes a lot of sense. Bringing his "work home", it makes sense.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    I think it's something to do with after you beat the game. Like during the Johto part, it's locked, and afterwards you go up there and something happens. IDK that's all I got lol xD

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    It could even be...nothing. :S Not trying to be negative, but it could just be decoration. :\ If not, then I assume it is a attic or something like that. Maybe it could be where the Master Ball is kept? :P

Back