• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What do you think of HG/SS?

Brockoli

The Trainer of 1,000 Truths
    Years
    What do you think of heart gold and soul silver? Did you buy it and think it was good, did you buy it and think it was no fun, or did you just buy it for the pokewalker?

I thought it was no fun.

Nohr

Long-time Trainer
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Nov 24, 2016
    Ever since Leaf Green and Fire Red came out, I've been praying to the Pokemon Gods for a Silver/Gold remake. And finally, I was rewarded for my patience.

Gen II was always my favourite, and when they finally announced the remakes I was overjoyed. After playing through Heartgold, and starting Soulsilver, I'm really loving all the updated gameplay mechanics and whatnot. They are definitely, without a doubt, my favourite pokemon games so far.

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    Both worthy additions to the series. I loved Gold years ago and was desperate for a remake, even more so after my original catridge died. HeartGold was the main reason I started using the DS and I haven't looked back since. HeartGold/SoulSilver is what Gold/Silver/Crystal could've been, had it been possible, as much as I love the originals.

Years
    i had gold version when it first came out and then now years later after i completely forgot about pokemon i heard heart gold was coming out.. i had to have it lol, i went out bought a ds, bought HG, and then once i got it, all my friends that i didnt know were even into pokemon in college all got ds and pokemon also.

i mean comparing to gold version, HG is AMAZING. so i love it

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    I like Soul Silver. I don't think it's the best one I've played, but it's also not the worst. I might have a different opinion if I remembered anything about the original Gold and Silver, but that was about 10 years ago. With the bulk of the storyline out of the way I'm running out of things to do or reasons to keep playing, which is why I'm still so invested in Platinum and Pearl.

beca

◔_____◔
    Years
    Better than I expected it to be; then again, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. Before HG, the last Pokemon game I bought was Crystal :x never bothered with the later generations until now.

Macy123

Casual Indeed
    Years
    I like it. I just wished they changed the calling for rematch thing. I really liked the Vs Seeker and wished they had put it in SS/HG.

Charizard3

Champion
    Years
    I think both Hg and Ss are good in their own ways. Some things, like the pc system, blow and should be changed. They say that their taking advantage of the touch screen, but maybe dialouge and the pc system should be there. besides that, everything else is great. they really did a good job with the soundtracks. the game corner lack of slot machines doesnt bother me because i never go to the game corner but overall, Heart gold gets a 4.4 out of 5 and Soul silver a 4.3 out of 5 (im biased like that).

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    BEST GAME EVER!

im glad they got rid of the VS seeker, it made trainin even harder, lengthenin the gameplay
    i also love the updates, the safari zone, and EVERYTHING

its extrordianary G/S/C were my favorites, but now HG/SS are my favorites!!!!

im a johto fan til the end ppl :3

Jack Kentnon

Derp Trainer
    Years
    It's a dream come true. Ever since Fire Red and Leaf Green i've been dreaming and wanting a remake of G/S/C. Everything about it has met and exceded my expectations.

Well done Gamefreak, Well done.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    It had great potential, but overall it definitely wasn't perfect. I'd give it a 7/10. The levels are STILL too low, the VS Seeker has been downgraded back to the out-of-date phone, Johto is STILL infested with way too many Kanto Pokemon, Johto Pokemon are STILL poorly showcased, and the Gym Leaders are STILL too easy, and Lance STILL has a hax Dragonite. And overall, it seems that they were too afraid to improve from the originals to bring it up to standards with Pokemon Platinum, which is a shame, considering GameFreak said themselves that they wanted new comers to think of it as a new game. Notice how the Hoenn and Sinnoh dex doesn't disclude random evolutions of Pokemon, it's as if they're saying that the Johto dex doesn't deserve to have Pokemon like Magmortar or Gliscor, even though Magmar and Gligar are included, and the Sinnoh dex includes ALL evolutions of every Pokemon.

What I mean by potential, I like how they established that there actually is a Johto Dex (but it has way too many Kanto Pokemon), and I like how they actually made an effort to improve the levels in Kanto. It never made sense how all of the Kanto Gym Leaders in G/S/C were weaker than Lance (except Blue), but I'm glad they made them stronger than Lance this time.

Overall, I like Platinum better. Go ahead and flame me, HG/SS lovers.

Sayomi Amaya

"Gifted Trainer"
    Years
    "I can't say that the remakes were better than the orginal generation II games but it was still nice to see the games revamped." "It certainly brought alot of people out of retirement for sure and generation II has always been like the most popular generation." :)

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
    My first EVER Pokemon Game was Gold. I have loved gold for a long time. And when I heard about the remakes I flipped. The great thing about these games in particular is that it isn't good because of the battles, it's good because of the memories. They have managed to create something that makes us feel the nostalgic beauty of these games from the past, but they have also managed an entirely new game. This is much better than Fire Red and Leaf Green will ever be! And perhaps the best thing is the interactivity of you and your Pokemon. I've always been upset that Pokemon would always just sit in your inventory, you couldn't bond with them. But now that is no more. Not only can you walk with your Pokemon in the game, you can walk with them with the Pokewalker too! These versions are perhaps the best in the series (Being surpassed only by their originals).

These games show that the Pokemon games-like Pokemon-are constantly evolving!

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    My first pokemon game was silver I had a great deal of nostalgia for it but Soul silver kinda fell flat for me all the leaders and the E4 were severely under leveled I was also spoiled on Platinum what with the Vs.Seeker and whatnot being able to train when I felt like it instead of when they wanted to although I do like it when they give me stuff after I own them, In my opinion I like Platinum more at the moment but I just got to Kanto in SS so I am hoping for it to pick up a bit and maybe grab my attention a little more So in short Soul Silver kinda let me down Now I hope for a great R/S remake since it should be able to trade with Black/White and D/P/PT and SS/HG so figures crossed.

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2014
    I spent many hours on Gold and this i had to get to relive the memorys!

Shiari Xero

Completely Original
    Years
    I started on Red and blue... and have been playing ever since. Gold was my favorite game, GenII was absolutely awesome. I played GenIII and loved it too, remakes of Red and Green were epic, and when i seen them I said to myself "ok now they have to remake Gold and Silver" and have been praying ever since. When GenIV came out, i loved how it looked, it was awesome, and i had fun playing it time and time again, but i was still yearning for the remakes, then i heard about HeartGold and SoulSilver from a friend, and i literally jumped out of my seat. And i bought HG the day it came out.
    Ive been playing it since, and i only got three word to describe it.
    Best. Game. Ever.

Back