• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What do you think of the Generation IV evolutions of Generation I pokemon?

SprainedKhyber

Trainer Khyber
Years
  • When I heard that Magmar was getting an evolution in Diamond and Pearl I was a bit thrown off.

Why? Because pokemon like Magmar, Rhydon and Electabuzz didn't need evolutions.
    I mean I like the new evolutions, but really.

zirico

M.C.F.C
    Years
  • Some such as Licklicky, Tangrowth and Magmortar etc. are really ugly and stupid, but I love some and I have an Ambipom and an Electrivire in my Competitive battling team.

templekeeper

Remember: you're a member!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2010
    Wow, this is an old discussion topic...
    Because pokemon like Magmar didn't need evolutions.
    Have you ever tried fighting with Magmar? Even Magmortar isn't a great enough improvement for having an actually competitive Fire type.
    Even design-wise...Magmar looks a little juvenile and Roselia-esque.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I fight with Roserade and Ambipom (plus, they're awesome looking and, I know, not gen I).

zirico

M.C.F.C
    Years
  • The only thing that Magmortar gained was a more useful move pool, however it would have been better if they would have kept the speed and Attack the same, or just increase the attack less.

The Roshi

I must become stronger...
    Years
  • Yeah I actually like Magmortar. I think the movepool change and base stat raise are good enough to make it a beneficial new evolution. Magmar was good but just not quite there yet.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2010
    Imho all Pokemon which have less than 3 evolutions and which aren't in the top tier should get new evos which place them into the top tier. It would greatly improve the game if there were like 100 top tier Pokemon rather than 40 or 50.

Years
  • Imho all Pokemon which have less than 3 evolutions and which aren't in the top tier should get new evos which place them into the top tier. It would greatly improve the game if there were like 100 top tier Pokemon rather than 40 or 50.
    Agreed!
    I also believe that every Pokemon has a chance of at least defeating one opposing pokemon in competitive play.Yes,even an NU pokemon can defeat one.(Except Luvdisc :D)
    It feels good to defeat your enemy's Gyrados with your Hitmontop with Thunderpunch.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    aww
    I think LickyLicky is cute >3>

I don't really mind, If i don't want that pokemon I won't use it.
    Its not really a big deal *shrug*

Enraged_Nightmares

ZE MONSTER O_O
    Years
  • Eletcabuzz lost its spot as my favourite pokemon when electivire came out, cause...a cool yellow funky pokemon turns into a weird bear looking thing! MAKES NO SENSE!! Plus half of these statistically bad pokemon such as aipom are still pretty awful when they evolve! well thats my point of view, But meh XD

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • Actually, before Magmortar, Magmar was completely inferior to Typhlosion in every way(minus Confuse Ray), even if Magmortar is ugly as sin. Lickilicky looks bizarre, but with the way things went with some Pokémon *cough* Probopass *cough* it could of turned out much worse. Rypherior may not be a Milotic, but he looks tough and strong. Also, Porygon-Z is AWSOME, and is a worthy evolution to Porygon, though it's more of a counterpart to Porygon2 then an evolution.

Last edited:

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I think the new evolutions are just fine. Sure, people complain tons about them, but that's because of two reasons:

A: Nostalgia-colored glasses.
    B: Complainers are far more vocal.

Sure, Tangrowth, Magmortar, and Lickilicky are kinda weird-looking, but their first-gen pre-evolutions weren't exactly Heidi Klum either. They were just as odd. And frankly, I don't get the Electivire hate, 'cause he's just awesome.

The Roshi

I must become stronger...
    Years
  • Lmfao!!! nostalgia-colored glasses. Nice description hahahahahah. I think magmortar looks pretty cool though. Magmar is a spitfire pokemon and now magmortar can shoot fire out of that cannon on his arm. Lickilicky also looks pretty cool IMO and so does Tangrowth for that matter.

For me at least, it's better to place the new evo's in the context of what they used to be. Magmar was definitely disgusting. Tangela was like a pervert in bushes peering out. Lickitung was... no comment. Electabuzz actually looks cooler than E-vire. So in comparison most of the new evolutions look cooler than they did before

Back