• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What do you think of the Generation IV evolutions of Generation I pokemon?

SprainedKhyber

Trainer Khyber
    Years
    I don't know. Every Magmar I've ever had has kicked some preety serious butt. Plus, I liked Aipom and its evolution. Never really cared much for Lickitung, Tangela, or Nosepass. Oh, and Niprop? If you ever say that Typholsion is better then Magmar, I will personally kill you myself.:)

xXI JOE IXx

Some are awesome but some are fugly, like probopass... I sure hope thats a mustache he has and not something else (0-o)
    Seriously though, there is a bit to much hating on them, there are great ones like rhyperia and electrivire. The uglyest pokemon ever has to be Mismagius... It looks like a mouldy dish cloth!

xXI JOE IXx

If there was any cause to. It's proven in competitive battling that Magmar WILL fail if used alone. I won't go any farther than that, since there's no real need to.

And stop trying to get things riled up. I'm here to share my opinion and that's it. :/

I wasn't trying to start a argument I was just saying that mabey you should battle... Sorry

Ayselipera

Well for Generation I pokemon only the new editons I like are

Tangrowth
    Electivire
    Porygon-Z
    Glaceon
    Leafeon

Magmortar and Magnezone are okay, but could be better. Rhyperior and Lickilicky are just plain disgraces to me.

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2010
    IDK some of them look pretty stupid (probopass) but some look pretty badass (Yanmega, Rhyperior)

wnxvale

Lugia...Aeroblast!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2010
    i mean i was happy to find out there were extended evos from gen 1 but i wanted to see more gen 1 poke's have and evo in gen 4...like jynx or pinsir...some deserving pokes that need evo's...but:

magmortar-pretty cool lookin, i never really liked magmar, but his evo is sweet
    electavire- again, realy wasnt an electabuzz fan, but i might be with his evo out xD
    eeveelutions-awsm as always
    LICKYLICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWSMNESSS!!! THE FUNNIEST LOOKING POKE EVA!xD
    Tangrowth- iim actually happy that they gave that little pile of vines and evo...it is now a monster pile of vines xD

and in all honesty to cookie and sprainedkhyber,i depends on how typhlosion and magmortar are raised...ty can pull of attacks faster than mag, but mag will hit ty with a special attack hard...

HP ty>mag
    Attack ty<mag
    Def ty>mag
    SPATk ty<mag
    SPDef ty<mag
    Speed ty>mag
    (*curtesy of veekun.com poke comparer)

3 to 3...judge off that...

SprainedKhyber

Trainer Khyber
    Years
    ....Dang...I didn't think of that at the time,wnxvale...Good point! You are now my new best friend for having a trace of logic!

But dang, a Pinsir evolution! That would be awesome! But Jynx? Uhh...Ew.

Last edited:

The Roshi

I must become stronger...
    Years
    Lol. Jynx would either evo into a slim, beautiful woman humanshape... or an even fatter, uglier crappy ice type. Pinsir evolution....

Scyther -> scizor
    Gligar -> gliscor
    Pinsir -> Pinz... i don't even know. but yeah a pinsir evo would be pretty cool.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    Well Magmar and Electabuzz would have been fine 2 gens ago but now with all the new Pokemon available they can't keep up in battling, they still own in in-game battles but in competitive battling they would get owned. Their evolutions don't help a lot but it's still an improvement and you actually get a better chance of winning.

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2009
    its all just progress, its still pokemon and it was going to happen. you try and think of some fresh pokemon ideas that arent basically already pokemon...tried yet. the answer is yes and you failed. i love magmortar end of discussion.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2021
    As far as the knew evolutions go, they don't mean that much to me since I havent used any of their previous forms in years.

Tangrowth - Never liked Tangela, but when I was younger I would hear about how underneath the vines no one knew what it looked like and I always tried to draw what I thought it would look like.

Electivire - Always kinda liked Electabuzz, but more as a lesser pokemon. It was somewhere in the middle, but Electrivire looks awesome and had it come out earlier it probably would have the electric spot on my personal team (Luxray has that spot)

Porygon-Z - Never cared much for any Porygon (so much so in fact that I called it Polygon through all of generation 1, pesky text skimming), but I was always intruiged by the concept. Also if it was created how come another pokemon hasnt been created in the same manner, and shouldnt it have tons of evolutions from adapting itself to cyberspace viruses and such? and what about his ability to fly into space? wouldnt you think with all the rumors that pokemon came from space that someone would have mobilized an army of these guys to search for some? but all that is off topic...

Glaceon - even though I dreamed this up back in gen 1 I don't care for it but I like the design.

Leafeon - same as Glaceon, thought it up years ago but this one looks a lot better

Magmortar - This one is just awesome. It has the best concept of any of these. The sheer fact it has a megaman like cannon makes it awesome. I'll never use it unless I play through soulsilver using pokemon I other than what I usually do.

Magnezone - It needed to have a better form than just 3 magnemites. I hated how they had pokemon that just came together and evolved (other than slopoke) Other than that though its just another # to catch. Maybe diglet will get one someday.

Rhyperior - I guess I always wanted an evolution of this line, but not this one. It looks like a Rhydon ate a grenade or fell into a volcano. With all that said I am coming around to it but it is still a blemish to rhyhorn (now that I think about it I hated Rhydon too back in the day. Guess I just like the rocky look of Rhyhorn)

Lickilicky - Well not much to say. Never cared enough to even remember lickitung was a pokemon ( when I first saw lickilicky I thought "hey that looks familiar. is it a new evolution? nope, it cant be since i know all pokemon and I cant think of another that looks like this one)

In other words out of all of these I would only ever use Magmortar and Electrivire in any form of my personal party with Rhyperior and Magnezone being close but still stuck in a box in favor of another. I'll always collect the eeveelutions. And as for the rest, give it a few more generations and ill forget them like lickitung

SprainedKhyber

Trainer Khyber
    Years
    I can't say that I don't like Tangela, cuz' I never really used one. But I blame that crappy TV show for that! After Erika in the anime used one, I never bothered, because her's sucked!

IcyArceusRider

Nyaaaaa <3
    Years
    I have to say that there were many, MANY new evolutions and pre-evolutions in Gen 4 that were added to Gens 1 and 2 that honestly weren't necessary.

Things like Electivire and Magmortar and Togekiss--I really like those. But did Togetic really need to evolve? It doesn't even learn anything new as a Togekiss--you have to take it to the Move Tutor to teach it Togekiss-specific moves. Here are some other ones that I thought were unnecessary and/or stupid:

--Tangrowth
    --Mime Jr.
    --Magnezone
    --Bonsly
    --Mamoswine
    --Yanmega
    --Porygon-Z
    --Ambipom

I actually like Magnezone and Mamoswine, but what was the point of adding them? Is Nintendo going to keep adding and adding evolutions and pre-evolutions to what's already there, or are they going to come out with NEW and FRESH pokemon with a new generation? Because if they keep on adding evolutions there's not going to be a single pokemon that doesn't evolve (like Absol, I mean)!

SprainedKhyber

Trainer Khyber
    Years
    I believe that a joke on Genereation V has already been done. I mean, what else could they come up with really? I mean, now people can catch Arceus. And hes supposed to be the god of all Pokemon!!

BTW, Magnezone?

Awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    I love how whenever people complain about an awful Pokemon design or bad gameplay decision that Gamefreak makes in Generation IV, all of the sudden that means we are wearing "nostalgia colored glasses". No, it just means we don't mindlessly love every new thing that comes out, and we care more about quality than how new it is.

For the record, all of the new evolutions do look awful. Magnezone looks like Disney puked it out, Magmortar has buck teeth for some reason, and Rhyperior's Platinum sprite makes him look like a goddamned toilet/flip-lid trashcan!

Back