• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think of the Pokemon beta names?

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    In the run-up to the release of Pokemon Red and Blue in the US, Nintendo released a bunch of merchandise to promote the series. Some of this merchandise was released before the names of the Pokemon had been finalized, so some of the names used were different from the names that made it into the game. These original names are commonly referred to as "beta" names. Here is a list of all of the known beta names (taken from Glicthcity).

(The beta names are on the right, sometimes with an explanation)

Kakuna - Kokoon
    Pidgey - Pidge
    Rattata - Rattatak
    Ekans - Arbo
    Sandslash - Sandstorm
    Clefairy - Aria (meaning melody)
    Clefable - Ariala (melody with a "la")
    Vulpix - Foxfire
    Paras - Parasyte
    Diglett - Digda
    Growlithe - Flamie
    Arcanine - Blaze
    Abra - Hocus
    Kadabra - Pocus
    Machop - Kara-tee
    Machoke - Kung-foo
    Machamp - Ju-doh
    Tentacool - Jilly
    Tentacruel - Man O War (named after a famous jellyfish-like creature)
    Rapidash - Gallop
    Slowpoke - Slowmo
    Magnemite - Coil
    Magneton - Recoil
    Duduo - Dodo
    Dewgong - Manaty (manatee)
    Gastly - Spirit
    Haunter - Spectre
    Gengar - Phantom
    Cubone - Orphon
    Marowak - Guardia
    Lickitung - Tonguetyd
    Koffing - Ny (supposedly a reference to the pollution in New York)
    Weezing - La (supposedly a reference to the pollution in Los Angeles)
    Chansey - Lucky
    Tangela - Meduza (Medusa from Greek mythology)
    Goldeen - Goldy
    Seaking - Neptune (Roman sea god)
    Scyther - Stryke
    Gyarados - Skulkraken (named after the sea monster, Kraken)
    Lapras - Ness (named after the Loch Ness Monster)
    Eevee - Eon (all the Eeveelutions names end in eon)
    Omanyte - Ess (the first half of escargo)
    Omastar - Kargo (the second half of escargo)
    Kabuto - Att
    Kabutops - Lantis (what does "Atlantis" have to do with Kabutops?)
    Aerodactyl - Ptera (references both "pterodactyl" and "terror")
    Dratini - -Dragoon
    Dragonair - Dragyn

I think that most of the beta names aren't all too inventive and I'm glad that they were changed, but I actually prefer a few of them over the final names. I think that Aria and Ariala are better names than Clefairy and Clefable (and Arietta would have been a great name for Cleffa), and I also like the name Tonguetyd.

What do you think of the beta names?

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    These aren't all too original, but some of the more creative ones make for good nicknames, like Orphon, Guardia, Meduza, skullkraken, and Ptera

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Skullkraken was and always will be the most badass Pokemon name that never was.

Looking at the beta names, they're not so bad. Most are more original than their Japanese counterparts... For example, the legendary bird's are named "Freezer", "Thunder", and "Fire". Not really that great, if you ask me.

Ayselipera

The only one I like is Parasyte, but I read that they changed it because it was same name of a graphic comic.

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    Hahaha this made me crack up. I'm glad Nintendo got some sense knocked into them so they would change the names.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    I like Clefairy's and Clefables's orginal names. Although the clefairy chant would be different.

Also some of the names they stuck with aren't very orginal, I mean ekans and arbok are just cobra (with a k) and snake backwards. Why is that? Why are there names backwards?
    I mean, with girafarig it had two heads so it made sense. Eevee and Ho-oh were pronoused the way you spell them.
    It just doesn't make any sense.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    yeah, well. I've come not to expect genius for each of the ~500 different species. =/
    Skullkraken is teh Osum.

I seem to remember Togetic being Togikachu, and I name my Togepi on Crystal that in remembrance.

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years

Quoted for the truth.

What do you think of the Pokemon beta names?

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
    Ewww, most of those are pretty bad I'm glad they changed it. Flamie sounds more like a nickname than an actual Pokemon name.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I like... some of these, but only some. I prefer the current names in all cases but I DO really like Aria/Ariala.
    This.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Also some of the names they stuck with aren't very orginal, I mean ekans and arbok are just cobra (with a k) and snake backwards. Why is that? Why are there names backwards?
    I mean, with girafarig it had two heads so it made sense. Eevee and Ho-oh were pronoused the way you spell them.
    It just doesn't make any sense.

Every name you ragged on in this post, with the exception of Ekans, is an exact transliteration of their Japanese name. XD

Arbok = Abokku
    Eevee = Ivui
    Ho-oh = Houoh

The Red Chain

The majority says those names aren't creative, but I dunno, I personally think that some are.
    They weren't made up mind you, but the meaning behind some of the beta names is pretty thoughtful in itself.

Such as 'Man O War', 'Hocus', 'Pocus', 'Ptera'.
    They each have some interesting meanings behind them that fit the profile of the Pokemon.
    But I'm still happy they decided on different names that took a bit more thought.

Then again there are some names that it couldn't have hurt to put more effort into..

Last edited:

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    Every name you ragged on in this post, with the exception of Ekans, is an exact transliteration of their Japanese name. XD

Arbok = Abokku
    Eevee = Ivui
    Ho-oh = Houoh

I wasen't ragging on Eevee or Ho-oh. I was saying their names made sense.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
    I agree with many others when they say that Skulkraken was an awesome name.

But as for the rest of them... :<

Back