• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What do you think of: torchic

t3m4

T3-series utility droid
    Years
    okay i got a whole crap load of replies on the treeko one so i thought id ask about torchic. what do you think of it?

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    Torchic is weak and so are it's evolutions.

My Sceptile can probably killed off a Blaziken with one little Aerial Ace.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2020
    I like all the starters, because I can have all of them when walking through the game :P
    They've got their strengths and weaknesses.

月Star

私の中心で照るこ? ??。
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2009
    Torchic is cute, and personally, I chose it to be my starter particularly because of that. I find its evolutions average compared to others. Though, through my experiences in the game, Blaziken is one of my powerhouses, so its hard to say something bad about it.

Years
    Before I had any knowledge whatsoever of 3rd gen pokés, I chose Torchic hands down as my starter on my ruby version and grew to like it so much, I simply wouldn't allow it to evolve! (especially after dicovering what it evolves into! (I'm sorry, but Combusken and Blaziken look like a chicken and an overly-humanoid digimon, to be honest, and I'm not a fan of the fighting type either)) It is now an irreversible decision; as I recently finished raising my Torchic to level 100!
    I love Torchic... Or at least really, really like it... as a Pokémon.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Fire-types, in general, are very over-rated, and Torchic is no exception. Being weak to FOUR of the most common moves in the game (Surf, Earthquake, Aerial Ace, and Psychic) doesn't help either. It's real only saving grace that makes it barely better than Charizard, is that it can be a decent mixed sweeper.

Still, easily the weakest Advanced Gen starter and plagued by a very weak typing.

JezzaRules

Charmander Lover
    Years
    Torchics are cute =P.

I would give it an everstone to prevent it from evolving coz I reckon fighting and fire types don't mix.
    I also tested this and a lvl 50 Torchics Sp Atk is higher than a lvl 50 Blazikens Atk, however I do believe that it could be EVs and nature influencing this so don't judge me too harshly...

@Shanecdavis: Water Types are also overrated just to let you know, the only type that ISN'T overrated is the grass types (which I enjoy using ^^)

JezzaRules

Charmander Lover
    Years
    Exactly how are Water-types overrated????

Most overrated water starters are Squirtles, Mudkips and Piplups for some reason with the only one that isn't overrated Totodile. I dunno why people think they're the best, I personally believe all of them are the same depending on how you use them.
    Fire is likewise except all of them are overrated.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Overrated means people thinking they are good when they really aren't. That describes Fire-types perfectly, but definitely not Water-types. Blastoise, Feraligatr, and Swampert are all vastly different, with Swampert easily not only the best of the three, but the best starter of all the games. Water/Ground is an amazing type as it gives Swampert one single weakness, and it can learn Ice Beam to cover that weakness. A Sceptile takes serious damage when it switches in to a Swampert that uses Ice Beam. Swampert also has solid base Def, allowing it to take physical hits rather well. It also has the most diverse movepool. Lastly, it can learn its best moveset halfway through the game (if you use the Earthquake TM on it instead of waiting it to level up to get it). Both Sceptile and Blaziken cannot learn their best moveset until way after the "elite" 4 and only in Emerald with the MT moves at Battle Frontier.

If you ever battle competitively, you will almost always see a Water-type on a good team (Suicune, Swampert, Vaporeon, Milotic, etc., etc.) while you will rarely see a Fire or Grass type. Water-types even have their own classification - Bulky Water. That is far from overrated, that is one of the best types in the game.

Years
    First off, Blaziken is a powerhouse in RSE. Not overrated.
    Second, it learns a good variety of moves to cover weaknesses (well, at least in D/P/Pt) ie Shadow claw, Grass know etc.
    Thirdly, not evolving a Torchic is a stupid idea. Enjoy your base 60/70 atk sp.atk.
    Fourthly, Water types are not overrated, SWAMPERT FTW LAWL
    and Finally,never, I say NEVER say anything without backing it up.

JezzaRules

Charmander Lover
    Years
    @ Shanecdavis:
    Exactly, I've been hearing pokemon like Charizard, Blastoise, Typhlosion, Blaziken, Swampert, Torterra and Empoleon like being the best.
    I mean Venusaur, Meganium, Feraligatr and Sceptile are also good too (never used the 4th generation starters before), I don't get why some people say something like "OMG! Charizard OWNS" or "Swampert PWNS!" when the others are pretty much equally as good. I've used all the starters (except for the 4th gen starters) and I found they're all good depending on how you use it.

Indeed Swampert is a effective pokemon to have but so is Blaziken and Sceptile, most people tend to overrate other pokemon leading others to believe in their words. Personally I believe Swampert is one of the easiest starters to use hence people overrate it.

@ SkyPioneer:
    The majority of the starters are pretty much overrated, Blaziken is not what I call a powerhouse, it's pretty much the same as others depending on how you use it. And I wholeheartly agree with you on Blaziken learning other type moves to cover its weakness, don't forget that Swampert and Sceptile too can also do that.
    Not evolving Torchic has it's advantages and disadvantages, I'm not 100% sure about this but Torchics SP atk is higher than Blazikens Atk although it could be under the influence of the nature and EVs. The main disadvantage with this is that Torchics HP and defensewise is weak.
    And lastly, all the fire and water types are pretty much overrated in many ways with the exception of Totodile.

I still find it odd how when pokemon first came out, all my friends were like "OMG! CHARMANDER AND SQUIRTLES ARE THE BEST, THEY OWN!" And when I owned my game, I started with bulbusaur and they bagged the hell out of me. But in the end, I proved to them that Venusaur was equally as good as Charizard and Blastoise by fighting them via link cable. I don't overrate Charmanders nor do I think they're horrible starters to use. The only reason I like them is coz they're so cute and spunky =P.

Last edited:

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Heh. I LOVE discussions about Fire-types.

First off, Blaziken is a powerhouse in RSE. Not overrated.
    Second, it learns a good variety of moves to cover weaknesses (well, at least in D/P/Pt) ie Shadow claw, Grass know etc.
    Blaziken and Charizard are the epitome of overratedness (not a real word, but cool to say nontheless). The reason is EXACTLY of what you speak. Blaziken does perform well in-game, I will not argue that. Take it into the competitive arena and....Surf ftw, Quake ftw, Psychic ftw, [insert name of Flying move here] ftw. There are just too many moves to knock that thing out. EVERY good team is going to have a minimum of three of those attacks. It is extremely difficult to utilize Blaziken effectively on a consistent basis. It might have been given a few counter moves in DPP, but that doesn't help it in the Adv Gen.

@ Shanecdavis:
    Exactly, I've been hearing pokemon like Charizard, Blastoise, Typhlosion, Blaziken, Swampert, Torterra and Empoleon like being the best.
    I mean Venusaur, Meganium, Feraligatr and Sceptile are also good too (never used the 4th generation starters before), I don't get why some people say something like "OMG! Charizard OWNS" or "Swampert PWNS!" when the others are pretty much equally as good. I've used all the starters (except for the 4th gen starters) and I found they're all good depending on how you use it.

Indeed Swampert is a effective pokemon to have but so is Blaziken and Sceptile, most people tend to overrate other pokemon leading others to believe in their words. Personally I believe Swampert is one of the easiest starters to use hence people overrate it.
    Sorry, but none of those you have mentioned are as well-rounded as Swampert. When people say "OMG! Charizard OWNS", they are usually only referring to in-game, where the AI is programmed to allow a six-year old to beat it. ANY Pokemon can be a powerhouse solely based on in-game battles, especially when you can cheat and have your Pokemon 10 or levels higher than your opponent. The difference is when you get into competitive battling. There is a very good reason why Swampert is is classed as OU (Over-Used), while Blastoise and Feraligatr are UU (Under-Used). To be fair, both Blaziken and Sceptile are also OU, but they are mainly utility Pokemon that serve a specific purpose, while Swampert has the ability to be used in many different ways. BTW - Your last comment validates my whole point. Swampert is the easiest starter because it is that good, not because it is overrated. Again, a Pokemon is overrated when people say it is good, but it is really not so good. You have, in fact, proven my point.

@ SkyPioneer:
    The majority of the starters are pretty much overrated, Blaziken is not what I call a powerhouse, it's pretty much the same as others depending on how you use it. And I wholeheartly agree with you on Blaziken learning other type moves to cover its weakness, don't forget that Swampert and Sceptile too can also do that.
    Not evolving Torchic has it's advantages and disadvantages, I'm not 100% sure about this but Torchics SP atk is higher than Blazikens Atk although it could be under the influence of the nature and EVs. The main disadvantage with this is that Torchics HP and defensewise is weak.
    And lastly, all the fire and water types are pretty much overrated in many ways with the exception of Totodile.
    There are NO advantages in not evolving Torchic. Zero. Zip. Nill. Nada. Here are the max stats (including max EVs, for effect) for Torchic:
    HP: 294
    Atk: 240
    Def: 196
    SAtk: 262
    SDef: 218
    Spd: 207
    TOTAL: 1417

Now here are Blaziken's:
    HP: 364
    Atk: 372
    Def: 262
    SAtk: 350
    SDef: 262
    Spd: 284
    TOTAL: 1894

There is not a single thing that Torchic can do, that Blaziken cannot do better. Not to mention the fact that Blaziken has STAB Fighting attacks and can learn both Ice Beam and Thunderpunch. Torchic cannot.

I still find it odd how when pokemon first came out, all my friends were like "OMG! CHARMANDER AND SQUIRTLES ARE THE BEST, THEY OWN!" And when I owned my game, I started with bulbusaur and they bagged the hell out of me. But in the end, I proved to them that Venusaur was equally as good as Charizard and Blastoise by fighting them via link cable. I don't overrate Charmanders nor do I think they're horrible starters to use. The only reason I like them is coz they're so cute and spunky =P.
    Well, I do not know how good your friends are at battling, but I do know that I have used all three of those and that while I agree each has their own uses, that doesn't make them equal. Blastoise is a great Bulky Water, Venusaur is a solid Disabler, and Charizard can be a late game sweeper, but only if everything goes right. Swampert, however, due to all of the reasons previously mentioned, is one of the best Pokemon in the game, and a standard on most teams.

JezzaRules

Charmander Lover
    Years
    Sorry, but none of those you have mentioned are as well-rounded as Swampert.
    I wasn't talking about Swampert, I was talking about how you reckon most starters are overrated. I don't get why people bother fuss over what they choose. As for me, I wish I can randomise what I choose coz they're all the same to me.

There are NO advantages in not evolving Torchic. Zero. Zip. Nill. Nada. Here are the max stats (including max EVs, for effect) for Torchic:
    HP: 294
    Atk: 240
    Def: 196
    SAtk: 262
    SDef: 218
    Spd: 207
    TOTAL: 1417

Now here are Blaziken's:
    HP: 364
    Atk: 372
    Def: 262
    SAtk: 350
    SDef: 262
    Spd: 284
    TOTAL: 1894

There is not a single thing that Torchic can do, that Blaziken cannot do better. Not to mention the fact that Blaziken has STAB Fighting attacks and can learn both Ice Beam and Thunderpunch. Torchic cannot.

I never said I was 100% certain. I got the game and my torchic for some reason has higher sp atk than my blazikens atk. Then again I reckon it's EVs and Nature that is the cause of this...
    With those stats above, are those from your pokemon? If so, tell me their nature (Brave, Docile, Adamant etc.)...

Last edited:

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Those stats are Lv100, max IV/EVs, and positive nature. I am not sure what the relevance of comparing a Torchic SAtk with a Blaziken Atk is. That only tells me (1) your Torchic is a higher level, or (2) that is one crappy Blaziken with a negative nature, and horrible IVs. I would definitely breed for a better one.

Ayouki Emerald

Leavin'
    Years
    while Blastoise and Feraligatr are UU (Under-Used). To be fair, both Blaziken and Sceptile are also OU,

I love Blaziken. It beats the game easily but it cannot readily compete in competitive battles. I've been hearing a LOT of uncertainty that Blaziken is an obsolete Infernape; but I strongly disagree. It's absolutely true that Blaziken is BL and Infernape is OU... The only thing that verifies that is Blaziken's speed stat. Base 80, compared to Infernap's 108... But Blaziken can OHKO Infernape... 120 base attack stat easily breaks 71 defense.

BLaziken ain't that good a sweeper but I'm confident it can beat Infernape. endure/salac/reversal>Infernape All I wanted to imply is that the Torchic line is a decent and awesome starter-line.

Um... shanecdavis... Blastoise and Feraligatr are BL...
    One more thing... Blaziken with an Ice beam???

What do you think of: torchic
    "Z0MG! BlAZ1K3N PAWN5 A11!" lol.

JezzaRules

Charmander Lover
    Years
    Those stats are Lv100, max IV/EVs, and positive nature. I am not sure what the relevance of comparing a Torchic SAtk with a Blaziken Atk is. That only tells me (1) your Torchic is a higher level, or (2) that is one crappy Blaziken with a negative nature, and horrible IVs. I would definitely breed for a better one.

They're both level 50, Torchics got Mild Nature and Blaziken's got Calm nature...
    After checking bulbapedia, it says that:
    Mild = +Sp Atk, - Def
    Calm = +Sp Def, -Atk
    well that explains it, nature screwed up the Blazikens stats bigtime =_=.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Um... shanecdavis... Blastoise and Feraligatr are BL...
    One more thing... Blaziken with an Ice beam???
    Sorry, but you are confusing 4th Gen tiers with Adv Gen tiers. Blastoise and Feraligatr are UU in Adv Gen.

Yeah, Ice Beam on Blaziken is silly. I blame lack of sleep. Yeah, that will work.

They're both level 50, Torchics got Mild Nature and Blaziken's got Calm nature...
    After checking bulbapedia, it says that:
    Mild = +Sp Atk, - Def
    Calm = +Sp Def, -Atk
    well that explains it, nature screwed up the Blazikens stats bigtime =_=.
    A Calm Blaziken is a very sad Blaziken. Breed for Adamant right away and release that crappy version back to the wild.

Back