• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

what does it take to make a successful game? [Game Makers look here]

What do you think it takes to make a good game?

• Total voters

Shun1

Started Project RGSShun
Years
  • I agree that bad grammar/spelling can be irritating, but it doesn't have to ruin the game. For example - Pokemon Quartz, one of the most well-known hacks ever made, has pretty dodgy grammar in places. Yes, I'm well aware that this is Game Development, but a lot of the same rules apply.

Bad grammer is bad yes but then again you cant help bad grammer. But Adding Txt speak lik ths or els it is teribal. XD

Well it has to bring something new and fresh that attracts countless people
    Very true like adding new scripts and stuff like that.

Forever Forbidden

Takes the longest shortcut.
    Years
  • Agent Zero said:
    you can't just slap 600 pkmn in one region and say it makes sense
    You got that from me right...

i think a good storyline is essential to a game, i got very bored with Pokemon games once I'd completed them. Its all 'go and fill the pokedex' bah bah bahhhhgg, and i just get so sick that my shelf has a big rectangle of no dust where my game takes place on it, i prefer to have a game that has sidequests, sub storyline and challenges that deserve a second try.

Pokepal2007

angels awakening
    Years
  • I would say that good scripts would help out a big time . Edits to Pokemon Essentials can make a massive diffrence.

Mr_Dark

Poke Dev.
    Years
  • I will go with:

- Good Sprites
    You don't want to play a game with red/blue tiles/sprites...

- Different from the other games
    This can be hard cuz there are so many games out there, but you have to find a thing that makes your game unique from the others.

- Good maps
    I'd rather vote good gameplay, but this will do... You have to make towns/routes/maps that almost invite you to come.

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • Considering there hasn't been one game actually released yet that was made using Essentials, I'd say actually finishing the game is the most important right now. But to be honest, when I look at Pokémon fangames I look at how well they replicate and build apon Nintendo's style and gameplay elements. If I see a fangame that looks nothing like the originals and/or is low in general production quality, chances are I'd just ignore it and move on.

By the way, this is nearly an exact replica of the sticky at the top of these forums.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • Lol, my answers hit the top three. xD Go me!

I think an interesting storyline that isn't entirely a copy of previous Pokemon games is the most important thing. Otherwise, the player will simply get bored and quit playing. Frankly, raising Pokemon is boring work. Battling clueless NPCs that you can 1HKO is also pretty boring. The plot is what makes the game fun. Otherwise it's just monotonous button pressing. Good demos are also important to convince your fans that your game might actually be finished one day...

Back