• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What exactly IS canon?

RR☆Oresama

Why? Has someone died? (¬_¬;)
Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 10, 2013
    Okay. We all know that the games, anime and manga are all separate verses, but how about the games themselves?

Generation V told us that the events of Platinum were more canon than Generation IV, seeing as Caitlin is now part of the E4 and Shauntal talked about Giratina and the Distortion World, along with Cynthia and Looker's appearance.

But what strikes me is... how exactly are all the other games canon? Not just the main series timeline, but also, Ranger, Colosseum, and PokePark?

So far, we can all agree that the main canon is like this:
    Red/Yellow/FireRed and Ruby/Emerald - 3 years later - Gold/Crystal/HeartGold/Platinum
    Blue/Yellow/LeafGreen and Sapphire/Emerald - 3 years later - Silver/Crystal/SoulSilver/Platinum

And apparently, Black and White occurs 10 years later--but what happens to the third versions and all the games in the franchise?

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I doubt that Game Freak pay particular heed to "canon". They simply take the stories they've written and add in the bits and pieces they think would be good to put in the next game, most likely using the third versions' events because they were produced more recently and were a chance to change whatever they didn't like about the previous game.

I don't expect anything else in the Pokémon franchise to be taken into consideration either, mainly because they either take place in other worlds than the main games or they're just so far away from the other regions that none of the events that occur have any effect on the stories that Game Freak want to write

Back