• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Game Should I Start With?

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2019
    Hello there,

I am relatively new to Pokemon and only got interested in it after the son decided to start collecting the cards a few years ago. I have played the card game and I would like to give the games ago but I am not sure which one I should purchase. I do not own any gaming consoles so I would be looking to buy one of these in order to play it.

Many thanks,
    Tony

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    That's so sweet!

Really you can start anywhere if you wish. The DS and 3DS are a great way to start with kids. However, the nintendo switch is more relevant so if you're interested in playing the newest games you can buy that and start with Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee or even wait for Pokemon Sword and Shield. If you find getting the switch a bit pricey, they are releasing a Switch lite and you can always wait for that.

A majority of the pokemon games are on the DS/3DS but if you choose to get a 3DS, you can play all of the DS games on that system. My personal recommendations are Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver (each duo of games has some slight differences if you and your son want to mess around with that) and I recommend Pokemon Black and White as well as their sequels. Really it depends how you want to play. For something a bit more easier to step into go with the former, but the latter is definitely a nice follow-up.

There are also 3ds exclusive games as well. Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are good starts as well as Pokemon X and Y. Just keep in mind for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon they're basically the "updated versions" or Sun and Moon (there is a difference).

Hope this helped a little.

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2019
    Thank you very much for your help that is very insightful. I am looking at the new switch lite at the moment as it is a bit cheaper than the main switch but still looks really good. For the time being, I may see if I can find a cheap ds in my local CEX and pick up White/Black as you recommend.

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2019
    Does anybody know the cheapest place where I can preorder a Switch Lite? I have looked at the usual suspects like Game and Argos but they all seem to be the same price at £199. Is that just how it will be until they are released?

Years
    Not 100% sure about the UK market, but most places aren't going to charge anything less than full price for a new console. Even as far as the original Switch goes, it took 8 months before I found anywhere that was selling it less that $399 Canadian, and even then it was only $20 off.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2019
    Hi Tony,

Before you order a Switch Lite might I suggest looking at the original console first? The original console lets you play it through a TV and if you are playing Pokemon then you could play multiplayer with your son by using a joy-con each. It just adds another dimension to the game and from personal experience its great fun playing with another person. The original Switch isn't even that much more money especially if you got it preowned. Take a look at this comparison as it gives you a nice comparison of the two consoles.

What Game Should I Start With?

Image Source: [URL="https://www.myfavouritevouchercodes.co.uk/blog/nintendo-switch-vs-switch-lite]My Favourite Voucher Codes[/URL]

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2019
    Hi,

I didn't even realise that you could do that so thanks for the information. I will definitely just buy the original one in that case.

Back