• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Got You Into Pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2017
    Around the time Ruby and Sapphire came out, these two kids at the summer camp I went to, brought their Gameboy Advances to trade with each other. Of course, everyone else crowded around them and wanted to know what they were playing. . . Including me, lol.

Black Dynamite

Resident Noob
    Years
  • the TV series on cheese tv early mornings before prep/grade 1. those were the days...
    My friend use to bring his pokemon yellow to school in grade 1 and we use to play the hell out of it. it wasn't really until grade 4 that my friend lent me his old gameboy and silver version for awhile and i really got into the games. :)

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I can't exactly remember at what age I got into Pokémon, but I do know it all started with the anime. I later began collecting and trading the Pokémon Trading Cards with friends at school and in my neighborhood. Although, we never did actually play the trading card game. I remember this one time, my parents bought me this pack of Pokémon Cards and in it was a holographic Blastoise. Oh dude, I cherished that card like it was gold...until I traded it. D:

At the age of ten is when I got my first game, Pokémon Ruby. From there I went back and played Pokémon Blue, from which I got from a friend and Pokémon Silver, which I bought at GameStop. This is the phase I got hooked onto the games, because before then, I only ever got to watch my friends play their Pokémon games on their Gameboy Color or Gamboy Advance.

There were times after awhile when I phased out of watching the anime and played the games a little less as I got interested in newer things (i.e. BeyBlades, Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon, etc), but Pokémon has always been a staple trademark in my life growing up and even now.

OmegaTL

Time Lord
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2013
    Well, a lot of my friends at school started playing it, and I saw Pokémon Blue in a shop and bought it. That's the end of my story.

ProjectMisfit

The fear of an inconceivable ending.
    Years
  • I just naturally loved the idea of Pokemon. Example, I don't remember most of my childhood, but I remember the day Pokemon started airing in the USA. I fell in love with it. I also remember seeing Pokemon Yellow in Walmart, and I asked my grandma for it. That started my official journey.

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • I got into pokemon same way as all the people who got to be there to see episode 1's premiere on Saturday Morning. I believe it replaced a popular cartoon on WB, and Fox didn't have anything good to compete against it, so that helped to prevent me from changing the channel and sure glad I didn't!

Years
  • The anime was a big thing when I was a kid... That had something to do with it.
    But I don't think that I would have gotten into pokemon if I had not bought Ruby back in 2003 while on a big trip to a mountain village. So I played the hell out of it during that trip.
    After that a family friend got me pokemon fire red...And well that was so amazing it got me hooked.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • The commercial, koff~

That vacuum commercial I would think. Besides, as soon as I got it as a gift, I knew it'd be worth something one day, koffi~

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • The anime got me into pokemon. I saw the bulbasaur village episode one time I was a kid and got hooked.

Even though I was a big fan since the beginning, my first game was Platinum. My parents wouldn't let me own a DS until I was 14.

Gogoat Rocks!

The Hype is Real
    Years
  • my friends invited me to their house and there they introduced me to pokemon.
    I was loving it.
    around 3 years later I went to my friends house again. we were having fun then they asked if I knew there was a anime. And I thought, There's a anime!?
    so they put on Pokemon 2000(my favorite movie forever).

the first game I ever played was pokemon Ruby. and that's the game I know most about.
    lol. weird way to get into pokemon. :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2013
    Saw the 1st episode of the show one day after school and thought, this would make a cool video game. Looked online... it was due to come out in like a week. And so it began.

MetalxTongue

Underdog of Truth
    Years
  • I saw the TV show and I was in love so much! Me and my friends all watched and later pretend to be pokemon! I asked my mom to buy me a gameboy and pokemon yellow. When she got it, I was so happy! Got my first pokemon game, now I can play then watch later. Pika!

casualCasualty

Super High School Level Fairy
    Years
  • Oh gosh I was super young when I got into Pokemon. It was either the anime when it first came out in NA, or when one of my cousins came over for a family get together thing, and he had Red or Blue if I remember correctly. The anime got me into drawing, and Crystal was the first Pokemon game I owned! It was kind of sad though because I was an only child who had a single mother working full time, so I chilled at home with my grandma while she played Doctor Mario haha. uwu So I guess my family got me into Pokemon? And pure and stupid luck.

I'm just mad because I still can't draw a bloody Pikachu properly.

Years
  • I was young, too. All I remember is one day having the TV on when the pokemon anime came on. I forget what episode it was exactly, but what I do remember is being immediately transfixed. It was love at first sight!

Guest123_x1

I got into Pokémon when my cousin and his mother got me Pokémon Yellow for Christmas in 1999. After I unwrapped the box containing the game, I felt reluctant at first, but when I first loaded it on my Game Boy Color to play it, I was hooked almost instantly.

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2013
    Your first experience with pokemon.

My first experience is when I was eight. Red and Blue had just come out and a few of my class mates were talking about it. When I first hear about it something intrigued me and I had to have it. Fast forward one stuffy bus ride later I was home. I begged my parents to buy me this game but they said, as all parents tend to say in my experience, "no".
    Despondent but not detured I continued begging, as only an eight year old can, only to be turned down again and again.

It was about this time I discovered the anime. My intigue turned into a love of the series. It was then I knew I had to have it, and if my parents wouldn't by it then I would. So I began my first endevor to get money.

My parents never gave me an allowance, chores were just what you did, so I needed to come up with another way to get $33 (the original sales price and tax.) I had always been good at drawing so I decided to see what I could do with that. Sitting down at my kitchen table, colored pencils and all, I began to free hand as many pokemon from memory. I thought back to every commercial, anime episode, advertisment, and to my surprise the drawings weren't half bad. So, grabbing some computer paper and tape and proceeded to make a few bookmarks.

Proudly looking at my work I proceeded to school, where at recess I peddled my wares. And to my surpise, kids bought them. Ramping up production I created posters, bookmarks, cards, anything I could think of. Every day I would come home and count my money in secret and every day I was closer.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, (probably 2 weeks) I had enough money to buy Pokemon Red. It was my first purchase and I had never been so happy. Turning it on, the perky tune filled my ears, I created my character and chose Charmander as my first Pokemon ever. I was in heaven and ever since then I have been hooked. Everytime I turn on a Pokemon game Im reminded of that feeling I first had as a child.

That was my first experience, I'd love to hear others :)

Years
  • That's quite the interesting story. I don't know if I would've been persistent enough to try and make my own money for one of the original Pokemon games (or anything else for that matter) when I was younger.

But since we've already got a very similar thread active talking about how people got into Pokemon, I'll merge your thread over there, as they're basically discussing the same things.

MERGED.

Back